Applecross Inn

Sometimes they'll allow it, sometimes they wont. They have limited parking and frequently have groups of multiple vehicles that pre-book on condition that parking is available, especially since the NC500 was 'invented'. It's a shame you didn't go anyway. They didn't miss out, you did, the food is amazing.

In a previous life I owned a small hotel on the west coast of Scotland, the car park of which was beside the slipway of a short haul ferry, and had to adopt the same approach. A motorhome will stay all night, that same space might be used twice or possibly 3 times over the course of an evening by cars, generating more income for the business. the key word there is 'business', as opposed to 'charity'. The economy of the west cost of Scotland relies heavily on tourism during a fairly short busy season. Any business that does not maximise income when they can will not last long. No doubt you'd complain about the lack of places to eat and drink if that happened.

Aye Andy,you are richt ( ex Publican Moray )

I don't know your thoughts Pat, but I do note you are well travelled. We are lucky too our home patch a beautiful spot more so when you discover the right places . I have lived and worked predominantly in France, but had the occasional forage into Germany, Switzerland, Italy Holland and I mustn't forget Belgium.

I have visited some wonderful places but the Scottish Highlands and Islands does more than holds its own. Swop you places for Dewsbury ?

Channa

The Highlands are truly stunning. Nowt wrong with Dewsbury, it's folk that make places better.

Pat

At last!

Rocked up tonight at the Loch Leven Hotel (56.690055 -5.180006). Lovely folk. Can I stop here tonight? How big is your van? She looked out of the window and couldn't see it. There you go, I said - its that small its almost invisible. OK, you can stop but don't block the access road. Third time lucky!!
Lovely staff, Great meal - this pic is for Channa, smoked haddock with pea purée, cream sauce, wilted spinach, chorizo and new potato.

IMG_4363.jpg

Almost as tasty as the Langoustine I had at the Badachro Inn (57.698163 -5.725135) last Sunday.

IMG_0787.jpg

And dont get me started on the sticky toffee pudding :tongue:

Pat

A couple of classic combinations there especially tonights ! ....I heard a rumour there was someone cooking near Huddersfield , Meltham way with similar ideas. Scallops pancetta pea puree served on black pudding .....I ask yer ....Glad you are enjoying the trip

Channa

Rocked up tonight at the Loch Leven Hotel (56.690055 -5.180006). Lovely folk. Can I stop here tonight? How big is your van? She looked out of the window and couldn't see it. There you go, I said - its that small its almost invisible. OK, you can stop but don't block the access road. Third time lucky!!
Lovely staff, Great meal - this pic is for Channa, smoked haddock with pea purée, cream sauce, wilted spinach, chorizo and new potato.

View attachment 54854

Almost as tasty as the Langoustine I had at the Badachro Inn (57.698163 -5.725135) last Sunday.

View attachment 54855

And dont get me started on the sticky toffee pudding :tongue:

Pat

Is there a shortage of plates up there. It a good job you didn't need gravy.

Applecross

Hi
We have stopped at Applecross twice ,once at the pub good food ! Second time could not get by the pub
However a local said park up in the carpark no one will object this we did one other van pulled on as well .
My son was there last week and also parked on the carpark . I think out of peak season you are ok as long
As no one spoils things by leaving a mess !
Regards

Stayed there with no problems had a meal and drinks .. it was lovely .. shame to think I won't be able to stop over there again.

Stayed there with no problems had a meal and drinks .. it was lovely .. shame to think I won't be able to stop over there again.

Hi Ghilliegirl,

On reflection we should probably have just parked up in the corner, had a meal and a few drinks and then stayed there. If anyone could have been bothered to ask us to move on I could have claimed I'd had too much to drink to drive! Unfortunately I did the wrong (right?) thing and asked first. Mind, with all the staff looking like their dog had been run over or something dramatic we weren't really that bothered.

Pat

Parked up at Toscaig pier, talking to a couple who arrived in a motorhome and they told me they dined at the inn last night and asked if ok to park up outside for the night and manager / owner said yes.

Not having too much luck with pub stops in Bonny Scotland. Arrived at Applecross Inn, asked if we could park overnight if we bought a couple of meals (and a few pints) and were told no. Oh well, that's 50 quid or so they won't be seeing from me. I can find somewhere to park so whose losing out here?

Pat

Plenty of pull in's on way to shieldag !

I remember the place well , the inn extended the car park last year , also as you say the boulders are in place at top of bay , I just went on further mile or so and pulled in fantastic view

Not sure really why the Applecross Inn is being singled out? Many pubs don't allow overnight parking, but don't get slated to this extent for it.

I've stayed there many times (with permission), but if they ever turn me down, I will find a spot nearby or go on the site.

To answer the other question, yes they were awarded a Michelin star, Rob the chef trained with Marco Pierre White and he is very talented, the Inn was has won many awards, including best in UK. It has no airs and graces, it is what it is and I love the place. I've always been looked after extremely well whenever I have visited.

Long may they prosper!

Not sure really why the Applecross Inn is being singled out? Many pubs don't allow overnight parking, but don't get slated to this extent for it.

I've stayed there many times (with permission), but if they ever turn me down, I will find a spot nearby or go on the site.

To answer the other question, yes they were awarded a Michelin star, Rob the chef trained with Marco Pierre White and he is very talented, the Inn was has won many awards, including best in UK. It has no airs and graces, it is what it is and I love the place. I've always been looked after extremely well whenever I have visited.

Long may they prosper!
Precisely ......

Why some folks think its a given that because 'someone' else has stopped there ???

Maybe the place is having a busy night with full bookings and needs the space for paying customers ...or just simply cannot be arsed ...its up to them surely ??

Ask first and if refused simply jog on and find somewhere else .

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back