Anyone ?

I see you're down for Falkirk Wheel meet, if you want to post part to me asap, I'll see about nailing it back together and, post back, or bring to FW meet, if you can do without it for this period of time? Hopefully hinge if of a decent grade alloy and not monkey metal, which make doing a good repair near impossible. Hard to tell till you hit it with the arc.

Thanks very much Runnach for the offer. To be honest I think it will self destruct as soon has any heat source hits it. It looks poor quality and very light. I hope to take it to a local fab shop and see what results they come up with.
.... Tom ....

Do you remember who that supplier was by any chance

Yes it was O'Leary's and they still have them in stock ( they certainly didnt sell them to me!)

Nearly

Yes it was O'Leary's and they still have them in stock ( they certainly didnt sell them to me!)

Thanks for your help. I have revisited OLeary's and gone through there hinges but can only see three leaf hinges which look very close but not quiet close enough.
.... Tom ....

Weld on the way.

A mate has taken the hinge to someone who does alloy welding. He looked at it and does not hold much hope of it taking the heat. But now I know where to get one if needed. Thanks for all your help. I will report on the result when I get it back.
.... Tom ....

to be honest Tom, that is one awkward assymetrical bugger of a hinge ! not surprised it's hard to find. good luck with the repair !

Forgot to say, that my originals seized on the centre pin and split the aluminium.

However I thought I was clever using grease on the new replacements, BUT they were too smooth and you had to hold the door tight on a windy day.

:hammer::hammer::hammer:

Your broken hinge picture looks very much like the one I replaced,

it seizes on the steel centre pin, the aluminium flexes and snaps.

I tried running plus gas penetrating oil through some remaining ones, but with no luck.

I replaced all of them with new hinges.

:juggle::juggle::juggle:

Done

Just to finish the thread off. The result of a mate doing an alloy weld on the hinge resulted on it being welded wrong way round, slightly warped, and 3/8" shorter. I bored the barrel out to correct the warp. I had to redrill the door post to correct the shortness of the welded hinge. Cleaned it up and gave it a coat of paint. It is now fitted on the van and working fine. I will put a photo on of the finished Hinge. Once again thanks for all your help with finding a new hinge if I needed one.
.... Tom ....

P9150038.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back