Another piece of land!

REC

Shouldn't keep looking but prices seem so low now!

Or just take your pick!

We have been thinking of doing something like this I.E piece of land in Portugal or Spain and using it for the van long time.
Has anyone here done this? Also could you stay longer than the 90 days by doing this?
Thanks
D

Very easy system to get residence here. It took us a trip to local council for paper to prove address, then trip to the Camra in main town to complete the paperwork. Came away with certificate €25 total approx. Needed ownership documents and passports, took proof of income too but they only glanced at it. This was pre- Brexit but hasn't changed a lot since ...maybe a bit stricter. Had to register online to change certificate for post Brexit bio-card which will involve a face to face appointment sometime in future. New application goes straight to biometric card.
It is somewhat confusing as they don't have a " temporary" residence category yet....you are either resident or not. If not in Portugal for more than six months have to appoint a fiscal representative to pass on official letters ( can just be a neighbour, they are not taking responsibility for bills, fines etc) and if in Portugal more than six months it gets more complicated for tax.

We have been thinking of doing something like this I.E piece of land in Portugal or Spain and using it for the van long time.
Has anyone here done this? Also could you stay longer than the 90 days by doing this?
Thanks
D
Yes, more or less.

In 1990 we bought a barn and a third of an acre in the Loire Valley.
Over the next 20 years we converted it into a nice chez Dezi.
Using it as a base we could be in either Spain, Germany, Italy etc with a gentle days driving.

Leaving Barn 001.JPG

Dezi

Ruth, does pension count as proof of income or do you need more than that?

Not that I understand all the regulations but have lived here for twelve years my understanding is that if you have Portuguese residency you must fill in a tax return ,after a short period of time you have to change your driving license to Portuguese , and when you have P.T license you can not drive British reg. vehicle, also your car /van must be Portuguese registered.I may not be completely correct but do be careful.

Not that I understand all the regulations but have lived here for twelve years my understanding is that if you have Portuguese residency you must fill in a tax return ,after a short period of time you have to change your driving license to Portuguese , and when you have P.T license you can not drive British reg. vehicle, also your car /van must be Portuguese registered.I may not be completely correct but do be careful.
Don't need to do a tax return if away more than 183 days. The rules regarding vehicles is so hard to unpick...my understanding is car has to be matriculated if here more than three months but licence if more than six....this is being clarified, hopefully for me by SEF as there are so many reports of different rules, and the Portuguese don't seem to know. The different newspapers and expat organisations can't agree, and it is complicated by residency prebrexit is treated differently to post as it comes under withdrawal agreement! Like you, we have been here a long time, but as part timers. When we had been here three months you had to get a residency permit to stay under EU rules. Not that anyone did before brexit! It would be simpler if the Portuguese gov come up with a proper temporary residence permit, but when I asked for this was told it didn't exist. Have searched and found some legal sites offering temporary visas so getting clarification....hopefully!

Back to proving your income, does anyone know is there a minimum income that is required to be accepted?
Thanks

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back