Another leisure battery ask.

byron

Morning people..after a couple of leisure batteries.110 amp.just normal lead acid..any ideas, make etc.
Thankyou.

Please would you explain in very simple language what the difference is?
These are a lead acid absorbed glass mat with a carbon additive. Far better charging algorithm and last twice as long as a standard agm lead acid battery. Have a look at Alpha Batteries website more information there.
I live in my van full time and these batteries have made an enormous difference for me.

What charging characteristics are required for Lead Carbon batteries?

Are they the same as lead acid?

Basically can the standard Sargent power unit with PX300 charger cope.

Simple answer is YES, it's a straight swap. (y)

Looks like Alpha have added another range of Lead carbon batteries (Jenox)
1st time I've seen them and not gone into them further but a 100Ah lead carbon with a 4 year guarantee including delivery for £110 looks to be a bloody bargain😯
With a WC discount even better!
Looks super, going to try and find some proper specs(y)
I don't think it is a "Lead Carbon" battery. It also has a significantly lower spec than a Lead Carbon battery, which are notable for their high charge cycle count, but this Jenox battery is quoted as just 200 cycles.
Looks to me more of a Engine Starter Battery, both in spec and price.

Hi David, That's a shame, must admit it seemed too good to be true, where did you find the 200 cycle spec? I've been looking but couldn't find anything on it, even the Jenox web site doesn't list it!
Edit, just found it! 200 cycles, that's pretty poor. :(

Last edited:
In the Technical Specs. Of course it could be a typo (meant to be 2000?) but the price is at the low end of the market so I susReplypect not.

The Leoch lead carbon require a 14.7 to 14.9 volt charging rate. I have a Victron invertor\ charger and when set up this is capable of charging the Leoch's. Don't know if your charger is capable of charging at this rate.

The Leoch lead carbon require a 14.7 to 14.9 volt charging rate. I have a Victron invertor\ charger and when set up this is capable of charging the Leoch's. Don't know if your charger is capable of charging at this rate.
Where have you got those charging values from? If I look at the Leoch info on the Alpha Batteries site, I see rather a different value than yours. For example ...

1671041491393.png

Lead Carbon batteries charge voltage is generally lower than the equivalent Lead Acid battery of the same type (e.g. Lead Carbon AGM vs AGM, Lead Carbon Gel vs Gel). I would not be charging Lead Carbon above 14.6 at the most and probably 14.2 or 14.3V usually.

The Lead Carbon Gels are similar, for example the Expedition Plus Lead Carbon GEL charge voltage is 14.2V - 14.4V

In terms of voltage output, it is fine (14.4V charge, 13.V float) but the output power is rather limited. IMO you would be better fitting a better charger if you are getting more than say 150Ah of batteries (think mentioned the downsides of using a weak mains charger in a PDU on a big battery bank before?).

David,
The Leoch Lead Carbon AGM battery charge voltage is a little higher than the GEL type (as is typical for standard lead acid). I charge my AGM's at 14.8 but I think barlicker is correct and the spec says something like max voltage is nearly 14.9v. I'll dig out the info and post.

Here you go.
Screenshot 2022-12-14 194929.png

2.45-2.48 Volts per cell = 14.7 - 14.88V charge voltage. I know the short data given by Alpha batteries says 14.4-14.6V so slightly lower but the graph above is supplied by Leoch themselves so it should be accurate.
To be honest the only downside of charging at a lower voltage like 14.4v (which is pretty typical charge voltage on lots of chargers for lead acid and Gel) would be a slight loss of capacity, I wouldn't expect it to be much (I'd guess 10% max loss) and it wouldn't bother a Lead Carbon like it would a standard battery which don't like to be left undercharged long term.

Merl

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back