Another leisure battery ask.

Not sure if this will be ok, im thinking about the higher voltage output on the votronic, will this be better for carbon lead batts or just leave at the lower 14.4v setting.

Not sure if this will be ok, im thinking about the higher voltage output on the votronic, will this be better for carbon lead batts or just leave at the lower 14.4v setting.
I dont think it'll matter too much, but if you want to get every last drop of storage capacity out of your batteries then they need to be charged up to the highest voltage acceptable and then trickled for the appropriate amount of time. The problem is that the maximum voltage acceptable will depend on temperature. If you don't have temp compensation (and most dont) then arguably it's best to opt for a slightly low max voltage and slightly undercharge rather than risk overcharging. Undercharging lead carbon wont hurt them but overcharging will.
What brand and type are yours Trev? Gel or agm? Can you find the manufacturers recommended voltages?

Here is a graph for the Expedition (Ritar) Lead carbon Gel battery showing charge voltage VS Charge volume. It suggests you loose about 10% for every 0.3V of undercharge.
Probably best to opt for a slightly reduced voltage if you havent got temperature compensation so you dont risk overcharge in a hot summer?

charge volts VS capacity.png

Enjoy! Nowt's simple:oops:

I dont think it'll matter too much, but if you want to get every last drop of storage capacity out of your batteries then they need to be charged up to the highest voltage acceptable and then trickled for the appropriate amount of time. The problem is that the maximum voltage acceptable will depend on temperature. If you don't have temp compensation (and most dont) then arguably it's best to opt for a slightly low max voltage and slightly undercharge rather than risk overcharging. Undercharging lead carbon wont hurt them but overcharging will.
What brand and type are yours Trev? Gel or agm? Can you find the manufacturers recommended voltages?
At the moment im using heavy duty truck batteries, but when they die im thinking lead carbon, all my charging and solar controls knock ut 14.4 at full and 13.4 to 13.7 float.

At the moment im using heavy duty truck batteries, but when they die im thinking lead carbon, all my charging and solar controls knock ut 14.4 at full and 13.4 to 13.7 float.
If it was me I wouldn't go to the expense of changing your current stuff. Take a view when the time comes and see what's available at the right price that'll drop in, which will be pretty much everything TBH. Depending on how long you're current batteries last you could well be contemplating lithium if the costs come down enough, possibly?

I don't think it is a "Lead Carbon" battery. It also has a significantly lower spec than a Lead Carbon battery, which are notable for their high charge cycle count, but this Jenox battery is quoted as just 200 cycles.
Looks to me more of a Engine Starter Battery, both in spec and price.
And weight
What charging characteristics are required for Lead Carbon batteries?

Are they the same as lead acid?

Basically can the standard Sargent power unit with PX300 charger cope.
Look on alpha batterys Web site ,all information you need is on their ,

If it was me I wouldn't go to the expense of changing your current stuff. Take a view when the time comes and see what's available at the right price that'll drop in, which will be pretty much everything TBH. Depending on how long you're current batteries last you could well be contemplating lithium if the costs come down enough, possibly?
Dont do long away from home and its very cold here so liths are out for my type of use.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back