Amalfi Coast, Italy

barge1914

Has anyone first hand experience of driving round the Amalfi Coast. I’ve heard there are traffic restrictions but believe these only apply over 3.5T...is this correct?

I was on a proper holiday on the Amalfi coast last year and I would not be happy in my van. I didn't see any cars without a bent panel and the roads through towns were tight.

Done it four times now,
Scooter hired
Own scooter
Fiat 500 hired
Smart car hired
It’s an amazing route but I’m not taking a van there!
I loved doing it on the scooters but the third and fourth time were in winter and it was 5 degrees so hired the car,
You don’t drive down this road without seeing an accident,
My advice is hire a scooter or the smallest car you can squeeze into as even in winter there are traffic jambs and it’s easier to get by in something small, enjoy your trip

Hi
We did it in 2011in our old van which was 24.5ft and 4.5T - no restrictions then. Just needed care and patience.

When on holiday, many years go, we took a coach trip up part of the Amalfi coast, so wonder were the problem areas are?

These days, motor caravans are only permitted at night.

We took the bus from a campsite in Sorrento, and even he hit a car. Frankly, it wouldn't be safe to drive a van as the standard of driving is dreadful.

Sadly, I first drove that road one balmy evening in 1971 and it was magical. All gone.

Use public transport to get around. Train from Naples area to Sorento and then bus. We stayed at Camping Spartacus in Pompeii.

Don't even consider it. Ok if you really want to do it and visit the much overcrowded towns use a campsite as suggested and bus or better still tour bus as the whole area is hellish driving. Make absolutely sure you know exactly were you are going and check on Google earth you can make the turn onto a site. Also on trains and buses take precautions as unfortunately pick pockets are common. But yes its a beautiful area.

As a late addendum, we waited for a bus outside our campsite but weren't allowed on because our timid little westie wasn't wearing a muzzle.

We walked into Sorrento and caught another bus for the Amalfi Coast where that driver wasn't the least bit interested.

It takes all sorts...... 😊

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back