Alarm and Tracking Systems

Fisherman

Who is the best company for alarm and tracking installations.
Must be to Thatcham standards.

Cheers.

Hi Fisherman
Ihave had a Phantom tracker on mine for 7yrs now, got an app on phone to check everything even batt condion, can set a service mode so when vehicle is in a garage, always let you know when the van has moved with a phone call and txt, I'm very happy with mine, £120/year.
Worth it if you value your van in my opinion.

To get to the Thatcham standard it also has to be installed by a Thatcham approved installer. Some cowboys will take an approved tracker but take shortcuts on the installation which makes it too easy to bypass. I think the Thatcham website has a list of approved installers.

Is a Thatcham approved alarm not available as an option OEM?
Some insurance companies will only accept approved trackers, not approved alarms e.g. NFU. I guess that is because no one takes a blind bit of notice when an alarm goes off but trackers are monitored by a centre.

I have a Phantom alarm which is a pain for various reasons. On my previous van I had fitted a Strikeback Growler which was superb, not cheap though. Fitted by Vanbitz in Taunton. If you are a member of Motorhomefun you get a 10% discount at the time of booking only. I will probably get one fitted to my current van too.
I have a Scorpion tracker which seems to do what it's supposed to.
I'm not in anyway connected with Vanbitz.

I have a Phantom alarm which is a pain for various reasons. On my previous van I had fitted a Strikeback Growler which was superb, not cheap though. Fitted by Vanbitz in Taunton. If you are a member of Motorhomefun you get a 10% discount at the time of booking only. I will probably get one fitted to my current van too.
I have a Scorpion tracker which seems to do what it's supposed to.
I'm not in anyway connected with Vanbitz.
think vanbitz have gone haven’t they think someone posted them as no contact

I have a Vodafone Automotive Tracker. Very pleased with it. When the battery in my driver card went flat they were on the phone straight away to check if I was driving the motorhome. If I forget to cancel a Geofence I get messages pinging on my phone very quickly.

I don't have any direct experience of any alarms but I have read virtually nothing but good things for "outsmart the thief" systems and is probably one I would look into for sure.
I believe the original one was not Thatcham approved (the developer apparently didn't want to reveal the products details to Thatcham, which was a requirement to get approval) but the latest one is.
One to consider?

Not wishing to get into an argument about Thatcham approval, however, apparently, wireless sensors are not Thatcham approved, which outsmart the thief uses.
For the definitive answer ask Thatcham.

Not wishing to get into an argument about Thatcham approval, however, apparently, wireless sensors are not Thatcham approved, which outsmart the thief uses.
For the definitive answer ask Thatcham.
Hi Tim.
Before I retired I ran a commercial/domestic alarm company for 30 years Tim. We installed hardwired systems, wireless systems, and hybrid systems. They were installed to EN50131 and if monitored they also had to comply with PD 6662 grade 2/3.
I can see no reason why wireless detectors would not comply. Also any company claiming to do work to Thatcham standard would be legally bound to do so, and if a system failed which was not installed to the proper standard they would be wide open to litigation. I would have fitted this system myself, but I am not a Thatcham approved installer. Also I require proper monitoring for the system. I intend to have a phantom system installed. I have got one in my current van, and it has been fine.

Hi Bill,
I have no personal experience of installations and everything you say makes sense with regard to Thatcham.
I am only repeating something I read recently so thought it worth a mention.
I guess alarm systems improve all the time, but I will stand by what I said about the Phantom one I have, which is about two and a half years old. As an example, if I remove a battery from one of the wireless sensors it makes not a jot of difference.

Forgot to mention the various categories of Thatcham, which I also have no knowledge of, so whilst an alarm may be approved, an insurance company may not accept a specific category.
Another minefield for us to negotiate 🤔

If its for Insurance you need to check what they actually want. I have a Pandora alarm and Tracker fitted. NFU give me a discount. Unfortunately it used a Russian website so talked to the alarm guy and he fitted a Gif-Gaf sim so no ongoing payments just a top up for the sim. Got a phone app as well.

I don't have any direct experience of any alarms but I have read virtually nothing but good things for "outsmart the thief" systems and is probably one I would look into for sure.
I believe the original one was not Thatcham approved (the developer apparently didn't want to reveal the products details to Thatcham, which was a requirement to get approval) but the latest one is.
One to consider?

I am considering them David

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back