Aires feature on BBC Landward this weekend - please watch!

All valid points. I am not so concerned with Scottish aires in general tbh, there seems to be a more liberal view on how land can be used by the owner/occupier/visitor and I dont just mean in legal terms but rather ethos.

Down here an opportunity 'rid the public spaces of the unwanted and tax them' will not be missed 😈
Thats why we never wild camp down there Tookey.
We don't cross over the border that often, but apart from a visit to Berwick, we have always stayed in campsites or CLs when we did.
Yes due to its geography and lower population density, things are different up here.
Its a real shame because England has so much to offer, we just love the remote villages and small towns in England.

Thats why we never wild camp down there Tookey.
We don't cross over the border that often, but apart from a visit to Berwick, we have always stayed in campsites or CLs when we did.
Yes due to its geography and lower population density, things are different up here.
Its a real shame because England has so much to offer, we just love the remote villages and small towns in England.
Maybe this is why we have varying levels of concern :unsure:

As things stand I predict my boy (3) will not be able to legally overnight in a rural car park or similiar in England or Wales by the time he is an adult. He might well be able to overnight in Scotland unless southern laws mean you guys get overrun and then you will have no choice but to follow suit.

Maybe this is why we have varying levels of concern :unsure:

As things stand I predict my boy (3) will not be able to legally overnight in a rural car park or similiar in England or Wales by the time he is an adult. He might well be able to overnight in Scotland unless southern laws mean you guys get overrun and then you will have no choice but to follow suit.
Overnighting will still probably be legal, just not in a vehicle.

Overnighting will still probably be legal, just not in a vehicle.
And I'll bet it won't be very affordable either once Campra get a few more of their Campsites (aires) scattered around and local laws force us to use them their prices will go up. Just see what's happening across the water with Camper Car Park taking over and forcing local councillors over there to ban overnite parking in their carparks

Interesting debate guys. Will Aires ruin wilding? Dunno but something has to give. These last few weeks on Arran and now the south Western coast of Scotland have been like being in Brittany in mid summer. There are vans everywhere. Campsites and CL"s are busy and even if you want to get on one it's not that easy. Wild spots are also busy. I think I counted 9 vans on the grassy bit where we are now on the Isle of Whithorn last night. Up the road at Garlieston which is a one horse village there is a club site and not much else and when we had a look on the scooter yesterday it was stacked with vans and Tuggers! Looked full to me. On a grey miserable day in late September!!

I think we need more of everything! More wild spots, definitely more waste points for sure and probably more sites, CL"s and Aires!

Tip of the week. We have been away since June. Quietest time? School holidays, late July and August. September is mental. It's one reason we left Arran. Got too busy. Weather is pants now as well. Bonkers.

Interesting debate guys. Will Aires ruin wilding? Dunno but something has to give.
I think we need more of everything! More wild spots, definitely more waste points for sure and probably more sites, CL"s and Aires!
I think regardless of what we end up calling them they'll have Campsite Prices

I think regardless of what we end up calling them they'll have Campsite Prices

There was one set up earlier in the summer and it was either £30 or £40 a night. I'm sure it was posted on here but I can't remember where it was now. Even the one on Arran at the Auchrannie resort Fisherman mentioned on Arran when I enquired out of interest was starting at £30 a night in August and use of the pool was extra! :D

To me an aire needs to be scenic and cheap or free or I won't use it. What's the point? There are plenty of CL sites about in stunning locations. I would rather use them. If you can get on them of course. I was on one the other night for two nights. Ten quid including EHU. Rare though now. Most seem to be £15-£20.

To be honest I've loved this UK trip but I would rather be in the south of France. Especially now in September.

All valid points. I am not so concerned with Scottish aires in general tbh, there seems to be a more liberal view on how land can be used by the owner/occupier/visitor and I dont just mean in legal terms but rather ethos.

Down here an opportunity to 'rid the public spaces of the unwanted and tax them' will not be missed 😈
That's what you guys did to the Scots many years ago! 😂 :unsure:

There was one set up earlier in the summer and it was either £30 or £40 a night. I'm sure it was posted on here but I can't remember where it was now. Even the one on Arran at the Auchrannie resort Fisherman mentioned on Arran when I enquired out of interest was starting at £30 a night in August and use of the pool was extra! :D

To me an aire needs to be scenic and cheap or free or I won't use it. What's the point? There are plenty of CL sites about in stunning locations. I would rather use them. If you can get on them of course. I was on one the other night for two nights. Ten quid including EHU. Rare though now. Most seem to be £15-£20.

To be honest I've loved this UK trip but I would rather be in the south of France. Especially now in September.
We walked up to the facilities at Auchrannie and quite frankly they are superb, and only built this year. I booked two nights in November for £50 as part of a one week visit, the other nights wild camping. Why it’s not termed a campsite eludes me. I reckon it may be because they only take 8 vans, or theres an image issue.
I would not compare this place with Aires, the facilities being far better than the vast majority of campsites. Also the facilities outside the stop over are of the highest standard.
Here’s two photos I took on my visit.
BC476ED7-6646-4996-B647-FE626B0D6422.jpeg
7AA17F80-2CEF-47AA-B456-922DE5445F6F.jpeg

Last edited:
I watched the Landward programme last night and thought the Aire owner made a good job of promoting Campra and her facility. Well done !
We will be watching on Sunday.
But I am not surprised at your comments, Cie is a dedicated wild camper who has experienced wild camping in an unconventional van. Their van is large enough to party in, and is held together by cies husband who knows his way around motors. I was genuinely amazed when they let us have a look inside it.

We walked up to the facilities at Auchrannie and quite frankly they are superb, and only built this year. I booked two nights in November for £50 as part of a one week visit, the other nights wild camping. Why it’s not termed a campsite eludes me. I reckon it may be because they only take 8 vans, or theres an image issue.
I would not compare this place with Aires, the facilities being far better than the vast majority of campsites. Also the facilities outside the stop over are of the highest standard.
Here’s two photos I took on my visit.View attachment 102161View attachment 102162

I would argue that it's exactly like a modern aire you would see in France. 8 vans in rows with a service point. It's just three times the price of a payable aire in France but that's Arran and the Auchrannie for you. Nothing is cheap there. However everytime we rode past on the bike there were vans on it so people were willing to pay.

When I had battery issues and needed hookup I struggled to find a pitch with one available though. Middletons in Lamlash told me their hookup pitches had been booked solid for months. I got on the CL at kings cross a couple of times only because I reckon she is so hard to get hold of and I percisted. That was £20 a night mind which I don't mind paying as it has a great view but I would rather my battery ran flat than pay £30 to park on a noisy gravel car park behind a hotel with just a view of the service point and some buildings.

I would argue that it's exactly like a modern aire you would see in France. 8 vans in rows with a service point. It's just three times the price of a payable aire in France but that's Arran and the Auchrannie for you. Nothing is cheap there. However everytime we rode past on the bike there were vans on it so people were willing to pay.

When I had battery issues and needed hookup I struggled to find a pitch with one available though. Middletons in Lamlash told me their hookup pitches had been booked solid for months. I got on the CL at kings cross a couple of times only because I reckon she is so hard to get hold of and I percisted. That was £20 a night mind which I don't mind paying as it has a great view but I would rather my battery ran flat than pay £30 to park on a noisy gravel car park behind a hotel with just a view of the service point and some buildings.
We prefer the campsite at kildonan seal shores. It has the best views on the island at £25 a night. But it’s closed in November. Auchrannie is opened all year round. You have to book months in advance normally it’s so popular. I have never taken my van to Europe Barry so I am unable to draw comparisons.

We spent a night at kings cross about 5 years ago when they only charged £12.
There were two CLS available a kings cross at that time both the same price.

The little site at Shiskine seemed
We prefer the campsite at kildonan seal shores. It has the best views on the island at £25 a night. But it’s closed in November. Auchrannie is opened all year round. You have to book months in advance normally it’s so popular. I have never taken my van to Europe Barry so I am unable to draw comparisons.

We spent a night at kings cross about 5 years ago when they only charged £12.
There were two CLS available a kings cross at that time both the same price.

The little site at Shiskine seemed good value at £15 Inc hookup and stuff like wifi and showers were extra although it also was always full. I much prefer that as the handful of times we have used CL's I've arrived full of water with an empty loo and we never ever use their showers if they have one.

I do wonder if some campsites could adopt what some in Europe do and have an aire outside or on the edge of the site assuming they have space of course.

I hear what you are saying Robmac. We spent a continuous 7 months (we only stopped due to lockdown) travelling round Scotland, on a very restricted budget so we were mainly Wildcamping/off-grid. Campsites full of rows of vans are not our thing at all. We like peace and quiet, beautiful views etc and those perfect spots that you find where you’re the only one there - looking across a Loch, seeing dark skies and the only light really is the stars, watching a rainbow rise out of a peat moor over a mountain range .... However, we did find difficulties as our van is old, 7.5 tonnes, has a large chimney, got a faulty leisure battery around January and we travelled over winter. It was hard at times to responsibly get rid of our waste - many campsites were closed so we couldn’t ask to pay them to ‘dump and fill’ and whilst we don’t use chemicals we know that much of Scotland runs on septic tanks so didn’t want to use and then ‘leave sparkling clean’ any public toilets as whilst they might smell nice after our visit their tank wouldn’t have the capacity for lots of campers doing the same. We went to one campsite when desperate and they were so rude because our van isn’t a standard appearance motorhome, and despite saying over the phone that we could empty our waste they changed their minds on our arrival. So we have had to dig a very large hole once, and one another time resorted to lifting a manhole cover - never again. Yes it was definitely a sewage drain not storm drain, but is was one with a lid that folds in half. Extremely heave, and so hard to get back on. I nearly fell in head first and still have nightmares! On counterbalance, we have cleaned up large amounts of toilet waste near Glenbrittle, Foyers, Loch Doon and Fraserburgh, and made safe and removed evidence of campfires, along with litter picking wherever we went.

We’ve notice a lot of the new ‘aires’ are places we stopped at for free, or perhaps a donation, and are now chargeable and some even have to be booked in advance. I saw one yesterday that is a campsite, but is now opening in winter and calling itself an aire. However, it’s a place with services that would no have existed in previous winters. In many ways this is a shame, places like Findhorn, Cairngorm and Girvan might now be outside of the budget we were working to. However, they have invested in facilities that are needed, be it toilets, ELSAN points, water, hardstanding so are providing the things that are needed for motorhomers to be responsible and able to tour for long periods of time and they need to cover their costs. It’s a shame some of these insist on booking in advance, as that removes the spontaneity, and I agree that whilst we were the only van when we stopped, there are now a row of vans but that in part reflects the rise of popularity of motorhoming and the effects of Covid that have restricted travel abroad.
What I do know is that when we were stuck needing repairs, or hookup for a failing battery, in minus temperatures we found a few small CLs or stopovers that helped us out (Janet in Drumnadrochit was a lifeline when we nearly gave up our travels because of leaks, no power and feeling poorly).

As such we have opened our aire near Fraserburgh, not as a profit making venture, but to provide a safe spot for people to stop if they want. (We can’t travel at the moment as I’m looking after my elderly mother, so now is a time to give something back). There are plenty of places nearby you can wildcamp if you prefer, but for people needing hardstanding, water, a place available all year and max 5 vans so never crowded, a feeling of security (away from boy racers, dogging, odd exchanges in car parks, people hooting or someone knocking at your door in the wee hours or peeing up your van 😞because sadly these can be the counter experiences of some of those wild camping spots) we have opened our front yard to welcome you. We’ll take bookings for those who want the security of knowing there’s a guaranteed space for them at the end of the day’s travels, or we’re very happy for drop in business. Once we cover the costs of our insurance (which are extortionate sadly as our house insurance increased as a result of doing this, as well as needing public liability fo a stopover) we’ll also put in black waste facilities, and offer a drop in service for those not wanting to stay. We recommend local attractions like the lighthouse museum in Fraserburgh, the restaurants and shops etc so that Fraserburgh benefits from some tourist income, rather than gets driven through on the way to somewhere further up the coast.

We’re just trying to do our bit. The world is changing and not for the better. More of those places once parked in have height barriers, profited parking or sleeping in vans signs, boulders blocking the entrance. Campsites prices have increased, and many now have minimum stay lengths, restricting those of us who might have popped in for one night to use services before wilding again. Soon there’s a new bill coming through that will potentially make parking overnight harder too. So hopefully we will get to meet some of you, like Bill, and hear of your travels, and be a useful stopover service for you, or at least entertain you with the seals opposite the cottage, but we do appreciate we’re not for everyone.
Cie
Well said

⭐️ Some exciting news!! ⭐
📺 We are going to be on television this weekend! 📺
We were contacted a few weeks ago by BBC Scotland’s Landward programme (a bit like a Scottish version of Countryfile if you’re not familiar with it) as they’d seen the YouTube video by Cameron McNeish of 2 new Moray Coast Aires, one of which is our Glenbuchty Stopover Motorhome Aire, Fraserburgh. They wanted to make a positive article about a new aire, the growth of such places in communities, village car parks, etc. and the reasons for the need for more Motorhome Aires in the UK, rather than the negative ‘dirty camper’ or new parking restrictions type stories often in the press.

Sadly Fraserburgh’s normal sunshine did not appear, and it was a wet and windy day, so we couldn’t spend much time outside in the stopover, but I did get to be interviewed by the lovely Dougie Vipond, in a sparkling campervan. I think I managed to get over some of the keys points as to why Aire style provisions are needed in the UK, and why campsites aren’t a one-stop solution, plus how CAMpRA is driving this forward. I know I’ll be cringing whilst watching this, but fingers crossed it will come over okay, please don’t judge if not 🙏

Thankfully Greg didn’t point out to me that Dougie is the drummer from Deacon Blue, or I think I would have been even more nervous and star struck. The crew were lovely and we had lots of laughs filming which helped reduce my nerves.

If you fancy watching it will be shown as follows:

Thursday 23rd – 2030 BBC Scotland
Friday 24th – 2030 BBC One Scotland
Sunday 26th – 0915 BBC Two (broadcast across the whole of the UK)
Monday 27th – 1930 BBC Scotland
It will also be available on iPlayer.

Hope you enjoy our 15 minutes of fame 😊 and if you’re heading up to Fraserburgh please do come and stop with us.
Cecilia & Greg

www.facebook.com/glenbuchtystopover
www.glenbuchtystopover.co.uk
View attachment 102106View attachment 102107View attachment 102109
Hi Cie
Brilliant! Well done for the TV appearance, good publicity, and for creating a safe stopover.
We'll be off to Scotland next autumn, and will hope to stay with you for one or two nights. Colin. 🙂👍

Well done Cie, just watched your tv appearance.

Well you have had your 15 minutes as Andy Warhol said, and you used it well.

All the best with your venture.

• Love
Reactions: Cie

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back