Aircon options to keep dogs cool

Everybody’s mind works differently from everyone else’s.
But that has nothing to do with how our minds work.

The OP himself acknowledges that his question was phrased wrongly, and I agree it was.
Someone considering installing air conditioning into a camper costing lots of money, to keep his dogs cool whilst he is away, does not sound like he is simply popping into the shops for a short while, as you suggest. Hence why myself and other dog lovers showed our concern.
So I am not a dog lover then?

Everybody’s mind works differently from everyone else’s.
But that has nothing to do with how our minds work.

The OP himself acknowledges that his question was phrased wrongly, and I agree it was.
Someone considering installing air conditioning into a camper costing lots of money, to keep his dogs cool whilst he is away, does not sound like he is simply popping into the shops for a short while, as you suggest. Hence why myself and other dog lovers showed our concern.
I agree with what you thought as I thought the same thing why would you want aircon for a dog unless you are planning on leaving it longer than you should, I do leave Taya in the van whilst in a supermarket but it’s a big van and we leave the skylights open so apology to the op if I misunderstood his initial post.

I do leave Taya in the van whilst in a supermarket but it’s a big van and we leave the skylights open
Some vans are also better insulated than cars, so won't heat so fast or get so hot.

That said, I did come across a little dog with heatstroke in a van next to us in Germany a few years ago. But the owners had left her for too long and it was hot.

Fortunately, we were able to get her to hydrate and that helped her recover.

I agree with what you thought as I thought the same thing why would you want aircon for a dog unless you are planning on leaving it longer than you should, I do leave Taya in the van whilst in a supermarket but it’s a big van and we leave the skylights open so apology to the op if I misunderstood his initial post.
Thank you Annie ❤️

And I to would like to offer my apologies to Arnold, if I misunderstood or misinterpreted his post.

Last edited:
Are you serious? :rolleyes:
Of course I am serious! If you wouldn't leave a small child alone in a camper, you shouldn't leave an animal alone! You tell me the difference! If you decide to have a dog (or any animal) then that is your choice and all that goes with it is your responsibility. If you wouldn't leave a child alone in a hot vehicle, you shouldn't leave an animal alone. No doubt all those who leave pets in vehicles will be saying it is different, but it is really not...

Edit: So why not answer the question?

Of course I am serious! If you wouldn't leave a small child alone in a camper, you shouldn't leave an animal alone! You tell me the difference! If you decide to have a dog (or any animal) then that is your choice and all that goes with it is your responsibility. If you wouldn't leave a child alone in a hot vehicle, you shouldn't leave an animal alone. No doubt all those who leave pets in vehicles will be saying it is different, but it is really not...

Rumour, I love dogs, but I love my children a hundred times more, no make that a million times more. That’s the difference Rumour. Leaving a dog in a van is one thing, but leaving a child in a van or a car is so wrong.

Who would leave a small child alone anywhere, never mind in a vehicle? That is a criminal offence I believe.

This thread has gone from the sublime to the ridiculous. :ROFLMAO:

Some utter nonsense on here . When I leave my dog in the house (not all that often) she has ventilation and water .
When I travel my van is my house .
Absolutely no difference
Sorry, that is a justification for your actions. A van is a totally different environment to a house.

Who would leave a small child alone anywhere, never mind in a vehicle? That is a criminal offence I believe.

This thread has gone from the sublime to the ridiculous. :ROFLMAO:
I agree, it has.

But strictly speaking it’s not illegal.

The UK Government’s official website does not state any specific law against leaving your child unattended in the car, and there is no legal age at which you can leave your child alone.

However, it is an offence to leave your child alone if it places them at risk and you could be prosecuted.

That phrase “at risk” is very open to interpretation and parents have been prosecuted when they and police have had different views of what it means.

The Government advises parents to make a judgement on the risk based on the situation and their own child’s maturity.

It also highlights advice from the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC), which says babies, toddlers and very young children should never be left alone and children under 12 are rarely mature enough to be left alone for a long period of time.

Some utter nonsense on here . When I leave my dog in the house (not all that often) she has ventilation and water .
Absolutely no difference
Never heard of a dog dying of heat exhaustion in a home other than when locked inside a conservatory. But every warm day in the U.K. dogs are left in unvented cars and vans and die from heat exhaustion.
The internet is littered with examples here’s two.

Maybe I phrased the question wrong. I'm just asking for any recommendations for portable air con units please, or air con solutions that work with a pop top.
Possibly if your van has a wifi router you could check your vans temperature with one of these

And there is the difference. You wouldn't leave a child because it is a criminal offence, but animals don't have that protection.
Sorry but yes they do, and it’s not in itself “illegal “ to leave a child in a car.

Animals are covered in law

It is not illegal as such to leave a dog in a hot car, but owners are legally responsible for their pet’s health and welfare. If a dog became ill or sadly died due to being left in a hot car, owners could be charged with the offence of animal cruelty under the Animal Welfare Act 2006. This could lead to a prison sentence and/or a fine.

Obviously the consequences of leaving a child in a vehicle are far worse, and would have much greater consequences rumour.

Absolutely no difference
Completely different scenarios and heat situations ...

Frankly comparing a house to a van is little short of ludicrous .

Back