Advice wanted on heater for small camper (Romahome)

Jeff showed me his Chinese diesel heater working at Hereford was well impressive definitely getting one and you can get them for under£100

No doubt that they work well and are cheap. But that's not enough to make them a good idea.

If you go for a Chinese diesel heater... My advice would be buy from a UK seller and ideally one that's recommended to you so it's easier to return IF you have issues

Lots of folks have had great success with them and found them to be reliable...

I went genuine eberspacher as I didn't want to be stuck in the middle of winter with no heating in the middle of nowhere.

Had gas now got diesel. Advantages and disadvantages to both. I liked the gas, OH prefers the diesel. Diesel cheaper and very controllable. Gas had a less fierce heat also controllable, quieter and no smell.

The blown air diesel heaters do use a good deal more electric as they use a glowplug to vaporise the fuel before lighting whereas the Propex heater is just a spark to fire up the gas. The Chinese ones are very tempting at the price and would be cheaper to run on heating oil or red diesel. I fitted a Propex in my campervan because of the lower current draw and because I was told by someone who had experience of both types that the Propex are more reliable, In actual fact we have only used it on a few occasions for maybe 10 or 20 minutes at a time to warm the van first thing in the morning as the van heats very quickly so the running cost has not been an issue even though we use small Calor bottles. Should you have a problem its nice to know Propex are made in Hampshire and easy to get in touch with.

They are basically just a self contained version of the normal eberspacher copies....

Still need inlet/exhaust running to outside.... And 12v power.
To my mind they would be ideal for a garage/shed/greenhouse BUT bulky to fit in your average camoervan/motorhome.

And I would personally always draw fuel from the vehicles tank rather than have the pfaff of refilling the small tank on the self contained heater...
The amount of fuel they consume is so insignificant there's no point running on red/heating oil IMHO.

Diesel cheaper? Only with exchangeable bottles. Not if you have refillable LPG.
Not sure anyone would get LPG now as it is unavailable in many areas and as you can use red diesel in heaters not sure that is the case.

Not sure anyone would get LPG now as it is unavailable in many areas and as you can use red diesel in heaters not sure that is the case.
LPG is availabile everywhere. Some places it's really expensive, but always cheaper then diesel, almost always cheaper than red diesel.

Hard to cook on red derv unless you have a boat one which are very expensive, 😂 yes getting refillable lpg is hard here to.

Son has a boat and cooks on meths. That you can get everywhere :rolleyes:
On a boat, LPG is more than an order of magnitude more difficult. Drop-out vents are impossible. I'd not want LPG on a boat.
A motorhome is very different.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back