Advice needed

I have upgraded my rear camera to twin cameras, and had to rewire cabling for them. I chose under the van, as a route within a protective corrugated sheath. Once at the back of the van the cabling enters up into the 'garage' under the bed, and then tucked inside plastic cable trunking, follows up the corner of the van into the cupboards above the rear bed, through the cupboards, where the cables exit out of the rear of the van to the twin cameras. One camera facing down and wired onto the reversing switch, and the other camera facing straight backwards, powered so that I can switch on the monitor without having to turn on the ignition. This enabled me to 'check' the rear of the van when parked up... stealth like!
I also upgraded my monitor to a built in 7inch colour screen, which has the ability to select whatever camera I wish, although when selecting reverse gear it selects the downward facing camera. This could be changed quite easily.
I have fitted another twin camera set to another van but omitted the reverse selector, thus allowing the driver to select their view.

As for solar panels, I have fitted a couple but have always fitted them to the leisure battery(ies) via a fuse & regulator, and not messing with the vehicles control panels.
Strangely though, after I had fitted my solar panel to my leisure batteries (3), I found that I was charging the vehicle battery too. This is probably because ultimately the charge does go through the control panel of the van and thus to the vehicle battery.
I hope the above helps.

Hi Beemer, Thanks for your contribution. I wonder how the charging works for your system? Is your main van control box one of the recent clever computerized models? I have a "plug in systems" PMS5BWAH/18A (which might be quite old fashioned by today's standards) and I can't see how it might charge both batteries. However it would be a real bonus it does. Does yours give priority to the habitation battery?

Alan D

Hi Dave, Good to hear from you. We have had a couple of short trips in the van. All worked very well; as you can see from the posts we are making a few "improvements" many in line with your suggestions. I am hoping that someone has wired their solar system in the way I think will work and will be able to confirm it is possible. Does your wiring go all the way to the battery or is it tapped into the existing?
Will one day get to a meet but it is busy season at work especially at weekends.

Alan

Straight to the battery its a 100w and has been very good, over the winter when we use the heating a lot it has kept the battery toped up. You must get to meet you will enjoy it we have some good laughs.

:drive: :drive:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back