Advice needed

Mossystone

Can anyone help with solving some puzzles re our recently acquired Autocruise Valentine 2004 model.

1. I would like to fit a reversing camera, where would I find suitable power connection. Side and stop lights are low down, I would like camera higher.
There is what seems to be a plastic trunking along the inside top of the overhead lockers, is this a cable conduit? if so how do I break into it?
Or are the walls hollow? Can I run cables inside them?
2. The cab overhead light works automatically with the doors so I assume it is original to the van but the hand book doesn't say how to get into it
to change the bulbs. Can any one help?
3. Considering fitting a solar panel. What is best, a flexible one or one in a frame?
4. When wiring the panel (through a controller) can I make a connection to the battery cable behind the van distribution panel or should I run it all
the way to the battery?
5. There are two 240 v lamps ( I checked the bulbs) fitted above the seating but I can't find a switch. (No mains at storage to test it)

Since joining the forum it has been both entertaining and informative. If anyone can help further my motorhoming education I would really appreciate it.

If you are fitting one camera you might as well fit the rear view one as well. Its not going to cost a lot more. Use GOOD Quality cable otherwise you get ghosting. As for cable you could go over the top or fit some mini trunking to keep it neat. You need to pick up the reverse break light line. If its Fiat based you can buy a can bus adapter that gives you the reverse output at the cab end.

I think you will find that the his camper is a bit too old to be CANBUS system:):):):):):)

reversing camera

I feel gutted that I had a reversing camera fitted. I would have been better off with those beepers on the rear bumper. It serves no purpose unless parking in a straight line, while you are straight as well. I have had both normal and wide lens cameras, and none of them show the left and right side of the van.* So, if you are parked in tescos , with 2 cars parked either side of you and several cars behind you. You need to back out quite a way before you can turn the steearing.....every thing is fine until you turm........then there is blind spots everywhere. Waste of money

Hi
The 240 v lights on our 2oo4 autocruise stargazer were touch lights
they didn't have an on/off switch.they just came on when you touched the metal
strip on the shade .hope this helps tandc.

can't agree with that .I have a fairly simple camera set up. it is really useful for difficult street parking and supermarket parking.i set it to give me a downward view on my rear step. I have a lot of experience parking large vehicles,but the camera allows me to get within an inch of the car or wall behind.parking a van my size in city side streets is hard enough,but the camera makes it easy

misunderstand

can't agree with that .I have a fairly simple camera set up. it is really useful for difficult street parking and supermarket parking.i set it to give me a downward view on my rear step. I have a lot of experience parking large vehicles,but the camera allows me to get within an inch of the car or wall behind.parking a van my size in city side streets is hard enough,but the camera makes it easy

I am assuming this answer is in response to mine.
1) you have a lot of experience where as I am just a normal driver
2) My camera is also set to the down step, and the down step painted yellow paint
3) Im glad you said your camera gets you an inch or so with the car behind you..........so does mine.

I SAID..........when turning the car, the sides of the van is not seen, so I cant judge the vehicles, to the SIDE, of the cars behind me. There is no way, in Tesco's or any other parking lot, with cars behind you, where you eventually have to turn the wheel, can you see the side cars behind you (the only thing you can see is the car IMMEDIATELY BEHIND YOU) which CHANGES, everytime your angle changes.

Hi
The 240 v lights on our 2oo4 autocruise stargazer were touch lights
they didn't have an on/off switch.they just came on when you touched the metal
strip on the shade .hope this helps tandc.

Of course, why didn't I think of that. Will give it a try next time out if storage. many thanks.

Thanks for your comments, I think it must be worth trying a camera to see how I get on but my problem is where to fit it and how to get the wiring to it. Other posts suggest hard wire is best but should it be high up, looking down or (on my van) it could go above the number plate (about 4 ft up slightly to one side.) What would you suggest?

Thanks for your comments, I think it must be worth trying a camera to see how I get on but my problem is where to fit it and how to get the wiring to it. Other posts suggest hard wire is best but should it be high up, looking down or (on my van) it could go above the number plate (about 4 ft up slightly to one side.) What would you suggest?
I think the best place for a camera is central above the doors to get the best view possible of your van's back end in relation to any car or wall behind .if you have a step or towbar then a dab of white paint helps it show up

I will add that it's usually best to reverse into a parking space,wherever you are,using the side mirrors to guide you into the space. the camera is for when you have straightened up and is used only in the last few feet of the manoeuvre to get you as far back as possible without making contact. this is where the camera is invaluable.
I notice that people are reluctant to reverse into a space,instead taking the easy option of driving straight in [yes I know it makes loading the boot easier,but I'm not just talking about shopping !] I find reversing OUT of a space more difficult and dangerous . going in backwards,you can see all the cars and people as you manoeuvre,and more importantly,they can see you're up to something !
reversing out of a space- you can't quite judge where your front corners are,there could be a child or old dear in your blind spot,the cars in the spaces behind you could be pulling out while you're concentrating on your front end !
so I would point out there are differences when driving a van,and it's worth getting into the habit of doing this,in the same way as you pull up to any shape 'T' junction at right angles,it can feel odd but it makes sense

Last edited:
I find reversing sensors absolutely in valuable when reversinginto tight spaces. Easy to fit, you can run all cables underneath the van if necessary. I find my reversing camera useless for parking, but I drive with it on all the time and find it paticularly usefull whendriving on the continent. I have also wired in provision to extend the sensors out to the extremity of the bike rack when it is down.
A much better and cheaper option than a camera

I find reversing sensors absolutely in valuable when reversinginto tight spaces. Easy to fit, you can run all cables underneath the van if necessary. I find my reversing camera useless for parking, but I drive with it on all the time and find it paticularly usefull whendriving on the continent. I have also wired in provision to extend the sensors out to the extremity of the bike rack when it is down.
A much better and cheaper option than a camera

That sounds a sensible solution. I always favour the belt and braces approach. Lots of reasonable priced kits on Ebay. I think the camera, if high up on the van, will have to be wired through all of the overhead lockers. This would have to have a short run on the surface to reach a suitable spot inside the rear of the van behind the camera if it is to be central, I gather off centre is not a good idea.

Any advice on this aspect would be appreciated

aesthetically central-pragmatically anywhere is fine as long as it's showing what you need to see. I wouldn't put it too near a corner in case a branch hits it .if you do run the wire through the lockers go through the dividing walls high and to the front,and you'll never notice it,even though you have to drill quite a large hole for the plug. or use wifi ! some think it ok,i've never used it but have heard it can be a bit unreliable

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for your advice and comments. I have also heard negative reports on wi fi (though one positive could be the entertainment value of picking up other peoples transmissions). As I want to make it switchable from the driving seat I plan to run the power and video wires down the length of the van through the lockers as advised.

Thanks again

About the reversing sensors. I bought mine from Maplin for my old van and my present one. On the old one, one sensor failed after six months. Maplin replaced it without question.
I would advise a four senser kitt, doesn't cost much more, but it is much more likely to pick up children or dogs walking behind you.
As said before , I swear by mine.

My next problem ...
I have now purchased an 80 w solar panel and the Tracer MPPT controller . There are several options for positioning and running the wires but the simplest seems to be to make a connection to the battery cable behind the van distribution panel. Is this advisable or should I run it all
the way to the battery?

Had a reversing camera fitted as standard when i bought my Swift motorhome last year.
Its a standard view when normal forward driving and view changes to low level when reverse is engaged.
Find it useful once in a straight line but still considering fitting reversing senses which will assist when reverse turning.

My next problem ...
I have now purchased an 80 w solar panel and the Tracer MPPT controller . There are several options for positioning and running the wires but the simplest seems to be to make a connection to the battery cable behind the van distribution panel. Is this advisable or should I run it all
the way to the battery?

Hi, glad to see you are making good use of all the people on here lol I fitted a very cheap wireless camera to our van EBay about £30 picked the power up from the side lights so have to put them on when I use it. Looking forward to seeing you at a meet soon are you going to Norfolk this weekend ? Hope you are both keeping well.

Dave.

:drive: :drive:

Hi Dave, Good to hear from you. We have had a couple of short trips in the van. All worked very well; as you can see from the posts we are making a few "improvements" many in line with your suggestions. I am hoping that someone has wired their solar system in the way I think will work and will be able to confirm it is possible. Does your wiring go all the way to the battery or is it tapped into the existing?
Will one day get to a meet but it is busy season at work especially at weekends.

Alan

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back