Adblue consumption

Cars or car based vans do significantly more miles to a gallon of adblue than larger vans do....
My other half is a self employed courier and often puts 50,000 miles a year on her small van...
Hardly ever needed to top her Partner up....
Im up and down the M6 each day (around 250 miles a day)
And probably add 10l of adblue each 3/4 weeks on average.

It's a bloody pain unless you can get to a, motorway services with bulk facilities.
Often the 10l plastic cans aren't sold with a, nozzle long enough to depress the filler flap so, it goes bloody everywhere.

True, its a pain in the arse forever putting it in the works Transit pickups.

And that's one of the reasons why deisel vehicles are being banned.

crazy for all it costs and with typical low mileage of a Motorhome why bother.
Adblue removes nitrogen oxide which prematurely kill thousands of people in the Uk every year. It does nothing to reduce CO2.

crazy for all it costs and with typical low mileage of a Motorhome why bother.
Adblue removes nitrogen oxide which prematurely kill thousands of people in the Uk every year. It does nothing to reduce CO2.

I couldn't see the point myself..... Same with dpf/egr delete etc....
Manufactures spend time/money trying to make diesels cleaner THEN folks bugger about undoing their hard work....

Such is human nature I guess.
Let alone what it does to your engine longterm

As already said, you can't compare cars and vans. Van drivers are meant to be professionals and do daily checks. 😂 I don't know about other manufactures, but the adBlue tanks in a lot of Merc cars is bigger than in the vans, the service interval are also shorter. My service intervals can be over 30000 miles. 18 litres of adBlue won't last any where near that. I'd guess I use about 10 litres every 2500 miles.
Merc car dealers will also top up adBlue for free (you purchase the adBlue, they fill it up) if you need it between services. Go into a van/truck dealer and expect that, they'll laugh at you. :)

As already said, you can't compare cars and vans. Van drivers are meant to be professionals and do daily checks. 😂 I don't know about other manufactures, but the adBlue tanks in a lot of Merc cars is bigger than in the vans, the service interval are also shorter. My service intervals can be over 30000 miles. 18 litres of adBlue won't last any where near that. I'd guess I use about 10 litres every 2500 miles.
Merc car dealers will also top up adBlue for free (you purchase the adBlue, they fill it up) if you need it between services. Go into a van/truck dealer and expect that, they'll laugh at you. :)

Whilst I agree that you can not compare the two Mark, it does balance out when referring to Motorhomes with much lower mileage than a commercial van doing 30-40,000 miles a year. Adblue is cheaper than chips and removes much of the NO2 that is fatal for thousands every year. I drive a Mercedes and I do 15000 a year and have never in 5 years had to top up with Adblue. I bought a 15L drum 5 years ago. It’s still there in my garage never used.

I'm not moaning about AdBlue, it's pennies and takes about 2 minutes to fill up. I just wish I had a use for the used 10 litre containers. I have considered saving them, and lashing them all together to make a raft, for when the sea level rises. They are too good for single use.
I buy between 3 and 5 at a time when on offer at local europarts and sometimes fill up at a service station. It's as much a non event as filling the washer bottle or checking tyres.

I'm not moaning about AdBlue, it's pennies and takes about 2 minutes to fill up. I just wish I had a use for the used 10 litre containers. I have considered saving them, and lashing them all together to make a raft, for when the sea level rises. They are too good for single use.
I buy between 3 and 5 at a time when on offer at local europarts and sometimes fill up at a service station. It's as much a non event as filling the washer bottle or checking tyres.

I just wish they all had nozzles long enough to depress the flap on a 66 plate boxer....
Stuff goes sodding everywhere (I've kept a, nozzle that WAS long enough and use that to ensure a, nonespill fill)

Uses more adblue if stuck in traffic and or stop start. Constant revs 12th gear wpigyus on motorways used very little.
Mine seems in low gears it uses more.

Our 7.5t has used less than 10 litres in the 15 months we've had it. I will try and work out the mileage because that info is pretty useless without it pmsl.

Uses less than I thought, if that helps.

The trouble with the whole emmision control thing is that it's a complicated system that they charge a fortune for parts for when, not if, they go wrong. That's why the delete kits exist.

Our 7.5t has used less than 10 litres in the 15 months we've had it. I will try and work out the mileage because that info is pretty useless without it pmsl.

Uses less than I thought, if that helps.

The trouble with the whole emmision control thing is that it's a complicated system that they charge a fortune for parts for when, not if, they go wrong. That's why the delete kits exist.

AND the built in obscelence.....

The dpf on the boxer fails to be recognised by the ecu at @100k on the boxer (according to the main stealer) regardless of the driving conditions.

From all the evidence so far I am guessing that if you are cruising on a main road or motorway at speeds in excess of 40mph in the higher gears, driving to southern Spain from a port say, then the EMU thinks you are not in an urban environment and so adblue consumption is minimal or even zero under these conditions.

When your speed drops and you are stop/starting in lower gears at lower speeds then adblue consumption picks up significantly as the EMU is signalling that you are in an urban environment and emissions have to be kept to a minimum.

We do 7000 to 8000 miles a year mainly on A roads and motorways in 5th or 6th gear so, for us, it seems adblue consumption is not a big issue or concern. Thank you all for you help.

They make good weights (filled with water) to hang off a tarp Mark if ever you want to keep something watertight.

I've been collecting large milk cartons recently to weigh down a large tarp over my log cabin which I'm hoping to build this weekend. I need to protect it until it is sufficiently dry enough to apply the woodstain.

We are thinking of swapping vans with one that uses adblue. Based on real life experience what is the typical adblue consumption for motorhomes as they really are constantly fully laden vans and the manufacturers figures probably do not reflect this. Do adblue vans have some sort of dashboard instrument to warn you if it is low and how far can you go once any warning light comes on?

Also how easy is it to obtain this in France, Spain and Portugal?

As an adblue newbie I’m totally in the dark with this so any useful info would ease me into my comfort zone.
Hi, they only use it when on motorways etc. not when pottering around towns! Usage is really not much, my last motorhome, a Peugeot which we only had a year due to constant issues with the Bailey bit, did 5k and I never had to fill it. Once the light comes on the dash, you have, I think, around 25 miles until limp mode kicks in, then it won't restart. I have a Fiat Euro6 engine now, no Adblue required. Best off buying it from Aldi at the moment, or Tesco garages normally around £1 per litre in 25ltr containers, then decant a couple of ltr off into smaller containers for travelling. Just top up before you go to France and carry a couple of ltrs with you.
Cheers

Re usage rate of adblue , it is not distance dependent or even revs dependent its down to power output of engine , ie load on the engine . If you are sitting at a reasonable speed on a motorway on level ,with a tail wind this will be your lowest usage rate . If you are in a heavy moho with a head wind climbing thru the alps at highest obtainable speed or stop and go ,you will be guzzling it . So highest rate of fuel usage will result in most needed . It was very noticeable with HGV (44ton) stop start loaded the ADblue guage dropped noticeably quick :)
BTW its good to use fresh adblue , and keep container well sealed , as in hot weather with evaporation concentration will increase and can lead to crystallization which can cause probs with dosing pumps .

We are thinking of swapping vans with one that uses adblue. Based on real life experience what is the typical adblue consumption for motorhomes as they really are constantly fully laden vans and the manufacturers figures probably do not reflect this. Do adblue vans have some sort of dashboard instrument to warn you if it is low and how far can you go once any warning light comes on?

Also how easy is it to obtain this in France, Spain and Portugal?

As an adblue newbie I’m totally in the dark with this so any useful info would ease me into my comfort zone.
We have a 2liter pug 2017 and have done 11000 miles only topped up once 10 litres at 6000 miles

When I had AdBlue I refilled the empty container at truck pumps. Sometimes it didn’t work because the nozzle was magnetically released, a device to stop the uninformed from putting AdBlue in the wrong tank.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back