Adblue consumption

Moped

We are thinking of swapping vans with one that uses adblue. Based on real life experience what is the typical adblue consumption for motorhomes as they really are constantly fully laden vans and the manufacturers figures probably do not reflect this. Do adblue vans have some sort of dashboard instrument to warn you if it is low and how far can you go once any warning light comes on?

Also how easy is it to obtain this in France, Spain and Portugal?

As an adblue newbie I’m totally in the dark with this so any useful info would ease me into my comfort zone.

My works boxer uses adblue....
And yes you get dash warnings counting down to the point where if you don't fill the engine is prevented from starting...
Consumption varies obviously between vehicles but doing on average 250 miles a day.. I spend a fair amount of time filling the damn thing up.

I did work out consumption, but long forgotten what it is. You'll get plenty of warnings, at least 800 miles before needing to top up. At first I always carried spare, stopped that long ago it's so readily available, often in 5 or 10 litres or fill up at pump at truck stops.
Not been to Portugal recently, but bought it throughout Europe easily.

My Citroen Berlingo that I use for my job doing about 500 miles per day uses 10 litres every 10,000 miles when the warning light comes on it gives me 1,500 miles
Although the tank holds 14 litres I just buy a 10 litre tub when the warning comes on and put that in

I had AdBlue on my last motorhome and it used a fair bit more than expected. If you are getting 25mpg you probably use twice as much than someone getting 50mpg. My Mercedes motorhome had an AdBlue gauge as well as warning lights, I just waited until the gauge dropped a bit below half and put in 10 litres. I think some vehicles do not have a gauge which I think is ridiculous since the system allows for it. If relying on warning lights I would carry a spare can.

I
My Citroen Berlingo that I use for my job doing about 500 miles per day uses 10 litres every 10,000 miles when the warning light comes on it gives me 1,500 miles
Although the tank holds 14 litres I just buy a 10 litre tub when the warning comes on and put that in
Gosh you certainly get about, “500 miles per day”

Adblue cost me 70p a litre at a lorry fuel stop and from the low warning light being on for 50 miles I only needed 8 litres. The light came on at 5800 miles. Hope this helps.

Given that a typical MH might average 25 to 27 mpg how far would you expect to go every 10ltr of adblue? It seems to be sold in 10ltr containers so basically how far between top ups? In the UK we think of miles per gallon but adblue consumption seems to be calculated in km per litre so it is a bit confusing.

Adblue cost me 70p a litre at a lorry fuel stop and from the low warning light being on for 50 miles I only needed 8 litres. The light came on at 5800 miles. Hope this helps.

Are you saying you did 5800 miles before needing an adblue fill up? What type of base vehicle and how large is the adblue tank? The vehicle we are thinking of is a Fiat Ducato with a 19ltr adblue tank.

I honestly would not worry about adblue.
I have been driving cars with it for years now, doing 15,000 a year.
I have never had to put a drop in, it’s done during annual service.
You will get loads of warning I get 500 mile warning.
And it costs buttons if you have go buy it.

Last edited:
I honestly would not worry about adblue.
I have been driving cars with it for years now, doing 15,000 a year.
I have never had to put a drop in, it’s done during annual service.
You will get loads of warning I bet 500 mike warning.
And it costs buttons if you have go buy it.

Cars or car based vans do significantly more miles to a gallon of adblue than larger vans do....
My other half is a self employed courier and often puts 50,000 miles a year on her small van...
Hardly ever needed to top her Partner up....
Im up and down the M6 each day (around 250 miles a day)
And probably add 10l of adblue each 3/4 weeks on average.

It's a bloody pain unless you can get to a, motorway services with bulk facilities.
Often the 10l plastic cans aren't sold with a, nozzle long enough to depress the filler flap so, it goes bloody everywhere.

I remember a post somewhere where it was compared to screen wash, top up about the same frequency but it costs less!

Cars or car based vans do significantly more miles to a gallon of adblue than larger vans do....
My other half is a self employed courier and often puts 50,000 miles a year on her small van...
Hardly ever needed to top her Partner up....
Im up and down the M6 each day (around 250 miles a day)
And probably add 10l of adblue each 3/4 weeks on average.

It's a bloody pain unless you can get to a, motorway services with bulk facilities.
Often the 10l plastic cans aren't sold with a, nozzle long enough to depress the filler flap so, it goes bloody everywhere.

Ok but the average mileage in the uk for a Motorhome is only 3500.
I do get 55mpg on my car and half that on the Motorhome.
But my Motorhome is the original euro 6 fiat that does not use adblue.
So I have no experience with it.
But I suppose your situation is completely different from Motorhomes.

Ok but the average mileage in the uk for a Motorhome is only 3500.
I do get 55mpg on my car and half that on the Motorhome.
But my Motorhome is the original euro 6 fiat that does not use adblue.
So I have no experience with it.
But I suppose your situation is completely different from Motorhomes.

Different mileage granted BUT not so different consumption wise between a motorhome and my loaded work van....
My point was don't be expecting to be rarely topping the adblue up on larger vehicles.

Just checked the till receipt, it was 11.7 litres I needed to refill the adblue tank. £8.19. Not to costly for 5800 miles. The motorhome is a new Eldiss autoquest 155, based on the 2.0l euro 6 Peugeot boxer.

Just checked the till receipt, it was 11.7 litres I needed to refill the adblue tank. £8.19. Not to costly for 5800 miles. The motorhome is a new Eldiss autoquest 155, based on the 2.0l euro 6 Peugeot boxer.

Using your figures that means on average you will need to do it once every 21 months if you average 3500 per annum.

My Mercedes Hymer used a fair bit more AdBlue than the figures above but I didn’t find it unreasonable.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back