ADAC Again!

Our ADAC renewal is due in September, kinda feels like they don't want members from outside their home country much longer !! Don't think we'll renew and look for an alternative for when it seems viable for a trip abroad....Brexit/Covid OMG..when will motorhoming abroad return without complications !! Maja

It would seem sensible just to get UK cover for now !
Then extend or change provider in 2021 or whenever suits

Reactions: DnK
My renewal is due in June 2020, therefore I have not had to renew yet.
The letter I received states my "plus benefits" will expire after that renewal has elapsed (June 2021).
I will be renewing for a number of reasons:
1. The cover for the price can't be matched elsewhere.
2. The cover is valid in the UK throughout that membership period & it may be possible to travel in Europe in Spring next year.
3. I suspect the long notice period before withdrawal of the benefit is because ADAC have been pressured by external influences to withdraw the service it offers to non-German residents - if so there may be push-back & the decision could be reversed (optimistic but who knows?).

Note that there were many years of false reports of the membership not being valid for UK residents before the 'continuous membership' rule was applied last year.
During the 'continuous membership' rule period, ADAC offered a fuel voucher incentive to encourage us to sign up for a continuous payment authority; essentially to prevent us inadvertently losing membership.
The letter also states "If your main place of residence is in Germany and does not correspond to the address given above, please provide us with the address of your main place of residence in Germany. " - is that a suggestion of a way to bypass the new rule? Maybe a German P.O. Box would suffice?
ADAC seem happy to provide us with service; it is their competition that do not like it.

But the cover also applies in the UK.

Do you have other breakdown cover for the UK?
Am I reading it wrong? "The services associated with classic ADAC membership, such as breakdown assistance in Germany, legal advice, ADAC Tourset or the ADAC benefit program, remain in effect for you." I take to mean If membership downgraded to Classic from Plus means theres only breakdown cover in Germany.

The letter I received states my "plus benefits" will expire after that renewal has elapsed (June 2021).

Does your letter specifically state "plus benefits" will expire after renewal has elapsed (June 2021)." ?

The translation of my letter states this:

"Therefore we will change your ADAC Plus membership (and possibly existing partnerships of partners / children) from 01.06.21 to a membership without plus benefits."

Mine's due 1/6/20 so though I got a renewal two days later I got the letter and translated it to find the membership from 1/6/20 would be Classic not Plus.

Does your letter specifically state "plus benefits" will expire after renewal has elapsed (June 2021)." ?

The translation of my letter states this:

"Therefore we will change your ADAC Plus membership (and possibly existing partnerships of partners / children) from 01.06.21 to a membership without plus benefits."

Mine's due 1/6/20 so though I got a renewal two days later I got the letter and translated it to find the membership from 1/6/20 would be Classic not Plus.

I am basing my assumption on this statement: "Therefore we will change your ADAC Plus membership (and possibly existing partnerships of partners / children) from 01.06.21 to a membership without plus benefits.".
The translation seems clear to me that I will receive Plus membership up until 01.06.21, however the translation (from Google translate) could be at fault if you have received a letter saying you are already now on Classic.

I have checked again & the "ab dem" before the date is being translated as "from the".
On other translators I am offered "As of" when taken in context with a date.

I do not have a renewal letter yet; only the one detailing the above.

I am basing my assumption on this statement: "Therefore we will change your ADAC Plus membership (and possibly existing partnerships of partners / children) from 01.06.21 to a membership without plus benefits.".
The translation seems clear to me that I will receive Plus membership up until 01.06.21, however the translation (from Google translate) could be at fault if you have received a letter saying you are already now on Classic.

I have checked again & the "ab dem" before the date is being translated as "from the".
On other translators I am offered "As of" when taken in context with a date.

I do not have a renewal letter yet; only the one detailing the above.
My very humble apologies I just re read and yes your right my letter does say it is from 1/6/2021 that the changes occur. So we're being given 12 month notice of the changes. I still don't think I'll renew as I don't think we'll be able to travel EU/Schengen this side of Christmas and in any case I have some cover with my Safeguard Insurance. The ADAC + benefits are a no brainer at the price but it seems that bubbles burst. Possibly another consequence of Brexit.

Hi all, we have just had an email from Adac saying that our renewal of (basic only) breakdown cover (in September) would only be relevant in Germany....and would we like to cancel. So, we will be arranging alternative cover for when we eventually "get off the drive" LOL !! Maja

Have queried the situation via e-mail to ADAC and here's the response:

Dear David,

due to the Brexit, ADAC changed their terms and conditions. You need to have your residence in Germany to have all Plus Membership benefits. If you like to, we can send a cancellation to our center in Munich.

Please tell me if we should cancell or renew the membership.

Kindest regards

Vanessa Wittmann
Geschäftsstelle & Reisebüro

My very humble apologies I just re read and yes your right my letter does say it is from 1/6/2021 that the changes occur. So we're being given 12 month notice of the changes. I still don't think I'll renew as I don't think we'll be able to travel EU/Schengen this side of Christmas and in any case I have some cover with my Safeguard Insurance. The ADAC + benefits are a no brainer at the price but it seems that bubbles burst. Possibly another consequence of Brexit.
Brexit?
Ah, I must have missed that Germany have left the EU as well because the UK has? (Guessing this must be the case if Brexit is to blame for ADAC removing it's PLUS service to residents of Spain, France, Denmark, Sweden, Italy, Greece, Poland, yadda yadda yadda ...)

Reactions: DnK
Brexit?
Ah, I must have missed that Germany have left the EU as well because the UK has? (Guessing this must be the case if Brexit is to blame for ADAC removing it's PLUS service to residents of Spain, France, Denmark, Sweden, Italy, Greece, Poland, yadda yadda yadda ...)
Maybe Germany are in early planning stages for an exit!

I received my letter today, and my membership reverts to Germany-only cover on renewal on 1st July.

I shall not be renewing.

For those insured through AIB attached is the policy document for their breakdown cover. The premium quoted today was £88.

I asked if pets and motorhomes over 3500Kg are covered. Yes they are.

Attachments

• AIB Breakdown - Campervan 07_08_17.pdf
    225.4 KB · Views: 233
Have queried the situation via e-mail to ADAC and here's the response:

Dear David,

due to the Brexit, ADAC changed their terms and conditions. You need to have your residence in Germany to have all Plus Membership benefits. If you like to, we can send a cancellation to our center in Munich.

Please tell me if we should cancell or renew the membership.

Kindest regards

Vanessa Wittmann
Geschäftsstelle & Reisebüro

Please can you supply her email address?

Thank you :D

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back