ADAC Again!

carol

Hi all, I’ve been told that my ADAC breakdown only covers 90 days abroad ... it never occurred to me that it did but haven’t read all the terms and conditions. Can anyone confirm either way?

Struggling to find the info Carol, one thing I did read was that they won't repatriate a MH back to UK now. This was on another forum and may or may not be correct.
Hopefully someone will be along soon re-90 day cover.
Good luck.x

I was with them a while back (2008) and it used to be 92 days from leaving your place of residence date. Might have changed since then,,

Pete

Attachments

• ADAC.pdf
    68 KB · Views: 254
There's a confusion here.

The ADAC Plus membership is actually an insurance policy. This covers many different aspects of travel one of which is vehicle breakdown.

The 92 day limit applies to what can be loosely defined as 'travel insurance'. So these insured events only apply for 92 days after leaving home.

The breakdown services apply throughout the membership period.

There is a limit of 200€ for towing to a garage for repair. Recovery to your residence is an option subject to certain conditions, in essence if it's not repairable locally within a reasonable time scale, but I can see no reason why a motorhome would not be covered.

The policy explicitly defines a motorhome as being no more than 3.2m high and 7500Kg or less in weight.

Just renewed via the Regensburg office on email. €129 for the year for the Plus membership. Only used the service once after a blow out last November since joining five years ago. The tyre man was there inside an hour and we were on our way shortly afterwards.

The van is SORN and I have a problem with it dropping steering fluid which I will discover when this Covid job has gone way and see if they come up trumps to take the van to my usual commercial garage.

Cheers

H

Can confirm the limited recovery cost ... we had to find £200 euros for the recovery driver ... unlikely that their allowance for recovery will cover any mid plus sized van.
Once we had used them, they wrote to say they were withdrawing the Plus membership, effectively making the policy useless to us.
Not sure the cover is for whole time you are away ... I checked with their staff on a stand in Germany and queried it by letter ... was told by both it was 90 days for outside Germany.
However, their customer support when broken down was good and it was not a long wait to be repaid accommodation costs.

04E57DBB-18AB-4F38-8A4D-BF01C0A3D5B5.jpeg

This has just arrived from ADAC and I can’t make head nor tail of it apart from the end of the Plus element from 1st April 2021.

Google translate is not helping much. Any fluent German speakers on here?

Cheers

H

"

ADAC e.V. • Membership & Insurance -
ADAC
Munich, April 16, 2020 Membership service Tel +49 89 76 76 38 00 memberservice@adac.de
Member No .:
Switch to ADAC membership without plus benefits
Dear Mr.
As you know as an interested ADAC member, the ADAC focuses its mobility services in particular on its more than 21 million members based in Germany in order to provide them with the best offers and services worldwide. In view of the fact that the complexity of the legal requirements that have to be met in connection with the provision of services, especially for Plus members residing abroad, we have decided that Plus services in the context of ADAC membership will only be for members in the future with residence in Germany.
Therefore we will change your ADAC Plus membership (and possibly existing partnerships of partners / children) from 01.06.21 to a membership without plus benefits.
Nevertheless, you will continue to be protected within the framework of your classic ADAC membership, for which you will of course pay a correspondingly cheaper membership fee. The services associated with classic ADAC membership, such as breakdown assistance in Germany, legal advice, ADAC Tourset or the ADAC benefit program, remain in effect for you.
If your main place of residence is in Germany and does not correspond to the address given above, please provide us with the address of your main place of residence in Germany.
Kind regards
Michael Dern Head of Members Individual Topics & Last Level Service (MIL)
This letter was created by machine and is valid without a signature.
Please note the back!

Thank you for that very prompt reply, from which it seems the Plus benefits such as cover following the individual and not specific to the vehicle and the higher level travel insurance type benefits, will be withdrawn.

The most concerning part, as I understand it, is in this paragraph :-

Nevertheless, you will continue to be protected within the framework of your classic ADAC membership, for which you will of course pay a correspondingly cheaper membership fee. The services associated with classic ADAC membership, such as breakdown assistance in Germany, legal advice, ADAC Tourset or the ADAC benefit program, remain in effect for you.

I interpret that as meaning the cover for breakdown services under classic ADAC membership will revert to breakdown assistance within Germany only unless you are resident in Germany. All of this is no big deal given the length of notice given. It would seem I'll be on the lookout for a replacement service from April next year having been with ADAC for about seven years. Only used the breakdown service once in that time and was back on the road within an hour.

Thank you once again for your help.

Cheers

H

You are welcome.

I agree with your understanding of the letter.
It is a shame to lose the full service as it was the most comprehensive offering available for the price.
It is also a very fair notice period as you stated.

I am sure Chris will be adding some comments on this situation as he has helped many members navigate the slightly more difficult procedures encountered by using a foreign breakdown service; it’s another area he seems to have a font of knowledge on.

To help anybody wishing to translate physical letters I have detailed below how it can be done:
1. Scan the letter into a .pdf file format.
2. Drop the .pdf file onto this site:

https://www.onlineocr.net/

3. Copy the transferable text provided into Google translate:
https://translate.google.com/

Thanks @winks and @Private

The letter does indeed indicate an end to breakdown services outside Germany.

It's a shame, but not surprising. I suspect this decision has been hastened by the current situation and its economic effects.

Add on breakdown assistance with an insurance policy would seem to be a good way forward. AIB offer such an add-on of course.

Seems like a route worth exploring when the insurance comes up for renewal in January. ADAC have been very fair in giving more or less a year of notice.

Cheers

H

I received the same letter this morning but my plus membership expires on 01/08/20 so I presume it just changes when it is time to renew, it was good while it lasted.
I use the google translate app on my phone to scan documents, it is useful for shopping in Europe as well

View attachment 80748

This has just arrived from ADAC and I can’t make head nor tail of it apart from the end of the Plus element from 1st April 2021.

Google translate is not helping much. Any fluent German speakers on here?

Cheers

H

Got mine today. So glad I got out of office response when trying to renew a couple of days ago. Wont be renewing!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back