A refreshing letter in today’s paper!

I was at the west coast of Scotland - Gairloch - today and for what ever reason its deserted. Hardly a MH in sight....hardly anyone in sight! Back to the east side of Inverness and theres MH everywhere. Maybe the west coasters have scared everyone off?? Obviously they don't need the £££

One word, and it brings fear to the fearless.
Reduces the most strong willed to despair.

MIDGES :)

I note that you must have your own toilet facilities.
This rules out most Campervans.
It also begs the question what counts as toilet facilities.

But I like the sound of this, good to get some good news for a change.

I note that you must have your own toilet facilities.
This rules out most Campervans.
It also begs the question what counts as toilet facilities.

But I like the sound of this, good to get some good news for a change.
And how does it rule out most campervans? Most campervans have a chemical toilet under the bed. Just because they don’t have a wee cubicle with a fixed chemical toilet doesn’t mean they don’t have toilet facilities. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️Being able to contain your own pee and poo until your at a suitable place to empty it counts as toilet facilities I would think.

The rules are simple and clearly laid out in the link above

“Follow our guidance:

• Distancing: Leave 4 metres between you and your neighbour.
  • Toilets: You must use your own self-contained toilet facilities. Visit www.campa.org.uk for advice on waste disposal sites in Scotland.
  • Fires: Fires and barbecues are not permitted.
  • Rubbish: Take all rubbish away with you.
  • Help everyone to sleep well: Keep noise levels down at all times but especially between 10pm and 7am.
  • Four-legged friends: Keep dogs on a lead or under close control. Please pick up after your dog.
  • Car park too full? Please visit www.visitscotland.com for nearby campsites. Please don’t park irresponsibly.“
Let’s hope that they are followed to make this a success. I would bet that fires and barbecues are the most likely transgression.

That's great nice to have some positive news, I have used loch lomond camping permit last year as i normal stop overnight in the area before moving up North.
This year i have also joined the caravan and motorhome club just thought it may provide more opportunities for stop overs if required due to the current situation. Some of the CL's look nice.
I love wilding but may need to be adaptable for the near future.

That's great nice to have some positive news, I have used loch lomond camping permit last year as i normal stop overnight in the area before moving up North.
This year i have also joined the caravan and motorhome club just thought it may provide more opportunities for stop overs if required due to the current situation. Some of the CL's look nice.
I love wilding but may need to be adaptable for the near future.
I fully agree. We don't want to frighten the natives because I was always told frightened animals are dangerous.

I don't think Cumbria want you either. They have been saying stay away, but our tourist industry is going broke so would the government kindly give us a handout.

Took the motorhome out yesterday for a good run to free everything up and ended up by the harbour in Maryport for dinner.

Went straight over to the Pay&Display machine and duly paid for 2 hours parking, £1.60 done contactless on the machine.

On the way back to the motorhome i got several sarcastic remarks obviously from locals all saying basically ..................... fcuk off back to where you live :mad:

One thing i did notice was that none of the locals parking up went anywhere near the Pay&Display machine so clearly did not pay for parking.

None of them had any form of Parking Permits either so the wankers were obviously screwing their own council by not paying.

Took the motorhome out yesterday for a good run to free everything up and ended up by the harbour in Maryport for dinner.

Went straight over to the Pay&Display machine and duly paid for 2 hours parking, £1.60 done contactless on the machine.

On the way back to the motorhome i got several sarcastic remarks obviously from locals all saying basically ..................... fcuk off back to where you live :mad:

One thing i did notice was that none of the locals parking up went anywhere near the Pay&Display machine so clearly did not pay for parking.

None of them had any form of Parking Permits either so the wankers were obviously screwing their own council by not paying.
I'm getting thoroughly brassed off by these so called tourist areas who rely to a great extent on peoples holiday spending to survive and yet seem to despise the hand that feeds them. Perhaps the pandemic has revealed their true feelings and we should oblige them by staying away for the next twelve months or so and hope they can live off whatever scraps the government has already given them.

Hi Wooie
Sorry to hear of your experience.
We were at Maryport last Sunday with the van
down by the harbour and it was very busy. Had a walk to the ice cream van. Lots of people around who saw us leave the van......and we never heard a wrong word. Chances are they weren't locals.
But as you say, they were wan**rs !

Went to Ballater (in the car) on Wednesday. We are often there and know a lot of the shop owners who know that we stay there in the motorhome sometimes. It is the first time we have been since lockdown and nearly everybody we knew asked if we were in the van. When I said we had gone in the car because we were a bit uncomfortable about the reception we might get with the motorhome they were all a bit shocked and said they welcomed motorhomers and caravanners (and of course the money they bring in to the area!). They couldn‘t understand my reluctance to take the motorhome.
As usual I feel that the anti-motorhomer brigade are a real minority but they are very vocal.

Went to Ballater (in the car) on Wednesday. We are often there and know a lot of the shop owners who know that we stay there in the motorhome sometimes. It is the first time we have been since lockdown and nearly everybody we knew asked if we were in the van. When I said we had gone in the car because we were a bit uncomfortable about the reception we might get with the motorhome they were all a bit shocked and said they welcomed motorhomers and caravanners (and of course the money they bring in to the area!). They couldn‘t understand my reluctance to take the motorhome.
As usual I feel that the anti-motorhomer brigade are a real minority but they are very vocal.

Toni, read through Toms posts (Maureneandtom) on here its patently obvious that the vast majority of locals really don't mind.
And why should they, what are we doing thats so awful.
Unfortunately the media really don't help with their pathetic totally inept biased covering, complete with dodgy photos.
When councils are asked how many complaints they have received they are coy.
All it takes is one NIMBY who leads a pretty boring life to pipe up.
They get tacit support (in their minds) from a few other locals.
The weary councillor afraid that they may lose the next local election is approached,
and hey presto its an overnight parking ban, or even worse barriers.

We should have rights, that will prevent this kind of thing from happening.
Rights that would prevent decent people from being treated like leppors.
And until we win these rights we will suffer, make no bones about it.
How many times do we see problems in car parks with nothing being done about it.
Yet if one NIMBY pipes up, or one motorhomer does something wrong, its curtains for us:mad:

Hi Wooie
Sorry to hear of your experience.
We were at Maryport last Sunday with the van
down by the harbour and it was very busy. Had a walk to the ice cream van. Lots of people around who saw us leave the van......and we never heard a wrong word. Chances are they weren't locals.
But as you say, they were wan**rs !

We were parked in the end bay at the side of where the ice cream van parks looking straight at the red fishing trawler " Zara Annabel BCK126 " on the opposite side.

Not many there at all possibly 1 or 2 other tourists but i`d say 95% locals, mainly single people in cars coming and parking up for a while reading papers etc. etc.

We`ve been there many many times before because there`s a good chippy just back over the bridge and we wanted some to go with the chicken butties for dinner.

We always spend a bit of money somewhere in the town but after that experience we won`t bother going back.

I'm getting thoroughly brassed off by these so called tourist areas who rely to a great extent on peoples holiday spending to survive and yet seem to despise the hand that feeds them. Perhaps the pandemic has revealed their true feelings and we should oblige them by staying away for the next twelve months or so and hope they can live off whatever scraps the government has already given them.

Don't forget that loads of people living in tourist areas don't earn their living from tourists and many of them are really concerned about being swamped.
A friend of mine in her late seventies who lives by the sea said that it was so crowded on Sunday that they more or less had to elbow their way back to their house. She found it very upsetting.
As far as she is concerned it doesn't matter whether they came in cars or motorhomes.

Don't forget that loads of people living in tourist areas don't earn their living from tourists and many of them are really concerned about being swamped.
A friend of mine in her late seventies who lives by the sea said that it was so crowded on Sunday that they more or less had to elbow their way back to their house. She found it very upsetting.
As far as she is concerned it doesn't matter whether they came in cars or motorhomes.
I have nothing to do with tourism and live in a tourist resort. I've just come from a cycle ride along the seafront. There are hundreds of people enjoying the sun. No one seems to be swearing at them.

We were parked in the end bay at the side of where the ice cream van parks looking straight at the red fishing trawler " Zara Annabel BCK126 " on the opposite side.

Not many there at all possibly 1 or 2 other tourists but i`d say 95% locals, mainly single people in cars coming and parking up for a while reading papers etc. etc.

We`ve been there many many times before because there`s a good chippy just back over the bridge and we wanted some to go with the chicken butties for dinner.

We always spend a bit of money somewhere in the town but after that experience we won`t bother going back.
Yes it's a great wee chippy. I don't blame you for
not wanting to go back. Still, it's their loss.......but more chips for me !!

Just trying to explain how some folk feel.
No way was I trying to excuse the behaviour of the oiks that you met.
I do hope you do get to return to that car park. It would be such a shame if you had to lose an experience you so clearly enjoy.
Chances are next time no one will say a word to you, hope so anyway.

Just trying to explain how some folk feel.
No way was I trying to excuse the behaviour of the oiks that you met.
I do hope you do get to return to that car park. It would be such a shame if you had to lose an experience you so clearly enjoy.
Chances are next time no one will say a word to you, hope so anyway.
But why would anyone go back when there's a chance of damage next time.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back