A refreshing letter in today’s paper!

We were parked in the end bay at the side of where the ice cream van parks looking straight at the red fishing trawler " Zara Annabel BCK126 " on the opposite side.

Not many there at all possibly 1 or 2 other tourists but i`d say 95% locals, mainly single people in cars coming and parking up for a while reading papers etc. etc.

We`ve been there many many times before because there`s a good chippy just back over the bridge and we wanted some to go with the chicken butties for dinner.

We always spend a bit of money somewhere in the town but after that experience we won`t bother going back.

That’s a real shame wooie, you obviously liked that spot. Maybe next year things will improve wooie, don’t cut your nose of to spite your face. Ignore the morons.

Duh, never thought of that! 😢

Aye right debroos. ;)
I reckon we should play it safe this year at least.
Also in some local communities there is some understandable fear, and annoyance at vast hordes of tourists appearing after lock down. But that does not excuse the treatment of Wooie and others.
The only wild camping I will be doing this year will be in isolated areas well away from towns and villages. That way when the locals witness the mess left by others they won’t be able to do as they normally do, and pin it on us.

That’s a real shame wooie, you obviously liked that spot. Maybe next year things will improve wooie, don’t cut your nose of to spite your face. Ignore the morons.

I hear what you are saying but i couldn`t never leave the motorhome unattended when there are clearly dickheads about with that mentality.

I don`t think i`d react too well if we came back and someone had graffitied the motorhome or worse.

We weren`t doing any harm, i was parked within the lines of a bay and i`d paid the parking fee, there was no need for the abuse i got.

The little town is almost dead and if it wasn`t for the tourists it would have died a long time ago.

The only one that was doing well was the drug dealer parked up in his dark blue Golf GTi and there must have been at least a couple of dozen cars come to him.

They drew up, drivers window to drivers window an arm passed something to the dealer who then passed something back and the car was gone in 10 seconds or so.

You don`t have to be a rocket scientist to work out what as going on and all this was happening as clear as day with no attempt to hide it.

Maryport was nice whilst it lasted but it can now go to hell and i`ll never go back so long as i have a hole in my arse and i hope it dies completely.

Aye right debroos. ;)
I reckon we should play it safe this year at least.
Also in some local communities there is some understandable fear, and annoyance at vast hordes of tourists appearing after lock down. But that does not excuse the treatment of Wooie and others.
The only wild camping I will be doing this year will be in isolated areas well away from towns and villages. That way when the locals witness the mess left by others they won’t be able to do as they normally do, and pin it on us.
Isn’t that what we mean by wild camping? Good on yer.

Isn’t that what we mean by wild camping? Good on yer.

No it’s up to each individuals personal choice as to what wild camping means.
If you want to be a purist, it involves a tent, lots of walking and a willingness to do without the comforts of modern life. I don’t think that applies to us in our Motorhomes and campers. But I would never seek to tell others what wild camping means. I will leave that up to them to decide.

No it’s up to each individuals personal choice as to what wild camping means.
If you want to be a purist, it involves a tent, lots of walking and a willingness to do without the comforts of modern life. I don’t think that applies to us in our Motorhomes and campers. But I would never seek to tell others what wild camping means. I will leave that up to them to decide.
Yup, we always shun urban car parks but clearly lots of folk like staying in them.
The further from civilisation the better for us!
Think we might just use cl sites for this year though if there is availability.

Yup, we always shun urban car parks but clearly lots of folk like staying in them.
The further from civilisation the better for us!
Think we might just use cl sites for this year though if there is availability.

Me to Debroos, but I don't like to tell folk that my form of wild camping is the only form of wild camping.
But occasionally we like to visit towns and villages as well.
We rule nothing out, and enjoy the variety of places that we have visited.
But our favourite places are were we are alone with nothing but rolling hills and a bit of water to look into.

I don't expect there are many indigenous Scottish, remember the land clearances. ;)
Oh there are! My family was driven out of the highlands in the land clearances, so they moved to the Moray Firth coast, where they still are. At the time of the clearances, the population was pretty sparse, so they found other places in Scotland to live without too much trouble. Finding a means of subsistence was less easy.

Then again, the Harrying of The North was at least as damaging, though it was of a different era.

I hear what you are saying but i couldn`t never leave the motorhome unattended when there are clearly dickheads about with that mentality.

I don`t think i`d react too well if we came back and someone had graffitied the motorhome or worse.

We weren`t doing any harm, i was parked within the lines of a bay and i`d paid the parking fee, there was no need for the abuse i got.

The little town is almost dead and if it wasn`t for the tourists it would have died a long time ago.

The only one that was doing well was the drug dealer parked up in his dark blue Golf GTi and there must have been at least a couple of dozen cars come to him.

They drew up, drivers window to drivers window an arm passed something to the dealer who then passed something back and the car was gone in 10 seconds or so.

You don`t have to be a rocket scientist to work out what as going on and all this was happening as clear as day with no attempt to hide it.

Maryport was nice whilst it lasted but it can now go to hell and i`ll never go back so long as i have a hole in my arse and i hope it dies completely.
Perhaps it should become a twin town with Whitby?

e

Sorry Bill, but I don’t agree with that comment.
Yes there are a small minority of morons up here.
But that’s what they are a small minority, and morons.
The vast majority of Scots even nationalists don’t think that way.
A few years back I was verbally abused in London because of my Scottish accent.
There are morons there as well, but the vast majority of people in England could not make me feel more welcome.
I think it’s important that we keep a true perspective on this.
Quite frankly I despise these idiots, wherever they come from, they give us all a bad name.
I agree wholeheartedly with Fisherman... As a country we need tourism but it is the fear of the disease that makes folk resist visitors....and the known fact that a few have left a heck of a mess at some sites.

When you are treated like crap by councils due to a minority of NIMBYS, and slaughtered by a bias press with no recourse of reply without an organisation to defend us, is this really surprising. Until we get ourselves organised and start to defend our rights as law abiding, tax paying, decent people, then expect this type of reaction from ill informed morons.
If they had been in a car, staying in a cottage, hotel, or B&B they would have posed a much greater risk of infecting the local community.
But would they have received the same abuse, the same signs saying you're not welcome when parking their car, I reckon we all know the answer.
So until the unpopular propaganda stops, and our voice is heard, expect this type of abuse.
As for the campsites being closed, that should make no difference whatsoever.
We decide wether or not to use campsites, not the media, councils, or folk with nothing better to do with their time but to offer us their ill informed ignorant opinions.
if they show you 2 fingers, just wave and smile as normal. after they pass, then give them,2 fingers , in your mind. let them be abuse, it takes 2 to tango.

Was hoping to have gone up to Scotland via the lakes, but having heard a few tales of woe and the welcome us motorhomers were receiving, decided to go to France instead. Will remain here till September and hope things have become less stressful and I can get up to Scotland in September

As soon as we get chance to venture further South onto Scotland Mainland we'll definitely be giving a few of these a try.

I notice that there is a survey page for people to post their experiences and think it would be very helpful if as many people as possible were to use this.

Phill
At Green Frog tonight and intend to use one of the forestry stop overs later in week and will post our thoughts. Also County Durham waterboard has opened up a few reservoire car parks and seem welcoming. As said b4 anyone welcome at Haybergill rest of this month and Aug anytime, then Sun-Thurs nights till end of year. We're just off A66 near Warcop. If we not there carpark is still n water tap😂🤣just phone 07846308231.

Spoke to my friend who lives in Glendale near Neist Point lighthouse on Skye, plenty of motorhomes about much to the annoyance of most of his neighbours who are nearly all English ! He overlooks Meanish Pier and reckons there are people in tents, your guess is as good as as to what toilet facilities they are using.
He also said locals have put up no parking signs at Neist Point.
I went to Skye with my wife in our T5 camper van on Friday 3rd July, and have to say I did not have any problems with anyone - that said there were not many people about - We parked up overnight at Neist Point Lighthouse - with no problem, practically had the place to ourselves- we did see a few cars dotted around Skye with duvets and pillows on the back seats therefore assumed people were staying in them overnight.
What I did find to my disgust was that the Fairy Pools car Park was open (1st day lockdown 5 mile distance was lifted to unlimited)....and was charging £5 per car - Even more disgraceful to me was the Quiraing car park charging £3 up to 3 hours and £5 up to 5 hours with signage to the effect no parking from 10pm to 8am for vehicles that “had been manufactured to allow,or adapted for sleeping in” (which would thus include my T5 camper van conversion) - so its okay to stay overnight in your car with no toilet facilities, but not for a self contained home on wheels.
The Old Man Of Storr carpark has been revamped with a new one soon to open and parking meters outside it - no doubt with similar signage as to the Quiraing, and I’m sure Neist Point will follows suit.
Question is, who enforces the rules, and what can they actually do?? - I fear Skye has now just become so overrun with tourists and photographers, they they have decided to take the cash in, and may well be tolling the bell for Campervans and and Motorhomes - that do not want to use official campsites of which there are very few!

I had to smile. Sorry, Wooie. I'm West Cumbrian. Brought up only three miles out of town and after my service I lived in Maryport; only sold my house there last year. Mostly I visited family by car in recent years but in the years with a motor home I never had a moment's worry about it.

I know you weren't staying overnight but you do know there is an aire at the Marina?

I think you had some bad luck. We aren't like that really.

Agree with me completely in future or I'll set them big lads frae Maryport on yer.

At Green Frog tonight and intend to use one of the forestry stop overs later in week and will post our thoughts. Also County Durham waterboard has opened up a few reservoire car parks and seem welcoming. As said b4 anyone welcome at Haybergill rest of this month and Aug anytime, then Sun-Thurs nights till end of year. We're just off A66 near Warcop. If we not there carpark is still n water tap😂🤣just phone 07846308231.
Northumberland water the owners of the Teesdale reservoirs do not allow any overnighting at any of their reservoirs.
Water bailiffs who regularly patrol the reservoirs checking on fishing permits arrive early doors so anyone overnighting may well get an early wake up call.

Northumberland water the owners of the Teesdale reservoirs do not allow any overnighting at any of their reservoirs.
Water bailiffs who regularly patrol the reservoirs checking on fishing permits arrive early doors so anyone overnighting may well get an early wake up call.

Northumbrian Water is Chinese owned by a company called Cheung Kong Infrastructure Holdings

Interesting, isn't it? Global companies hoovering up very important utility infrastructures?
My old Dad was always saying when I was a nipper that they should start teaching Mandarin in schools.
But that opinion has been around for a long time before that.

It used to be called the threat of the YP.
I won't expand on those initials as it's not PC these days to use old terminlogy.
Shame that the idea of proper debate seems to keep getting jumped on, preventing the free discussion of such expressions and their origins.

Maybe this is the century when that shift in the balance of world power might actually become reality, debate about the use of language notwithstanding? :unsure:

Maybe for scotland i should buy a stronger van.View attachment 84346

I saw this one at Dingwall Tesco on Sunday, it won't stop the midges though!

P1020152.JPG

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back