A letter from Elddis

The Jacks

During the week we received a letter from Elddis titled "Potential safety issue" ,it said they have discovered a fault in the bonding of some leisure battery boxes, it seams there was not enough or the wrong bonding used to stick them into the opening and some were loosening off,it went on to ask me to have a visual inspection of the box and fill in a tic form saying I have inspected the box and all seams okay or there is a fault and I would take the van back to the supplier to be rectified and send the form back to them,I just about blew a gasket.
I wrote a letter back to them telling them the amount of problems we have had with our £38.000 van purchased from new only two years ago and had no intentions of even looking at the box never mind filling in the form, giving my reasons .
(1) I am not a qualified coach builder
(2) If this as you put it a “ POTENTIAL SAFETY ISSUE” it should be recalled and not up to the purchaser to inspect for irregularities and then expect them to sigh the form off to say everything is as it should be.

We have had three leisure batteries ,water ingress (the van was away for three weeks) which was supposedly fixed, a fault in the habitation lights (would not go off unless the master switch was switched off witch left us with no power) The water gauge was stuck at empty which meant we had to fill it up until it overflowed, the fridge switch broke, there was a recall for a faulty ignition relay (nothing to do with Elddis but it still had to be rectified) when it went for the habitation certificate in September the area where the repair for the water ingress was fixed it showed 20% moisture and it has to go back in March to be retested,so it looks like the repair done was not done properly.
Personally I think Elddis has a cheek asking purchasers to do what they are asking and putting the onus them, so I put my letter to them and their tic sheet in their prepaid envelope and posted it back to them,I will let you folks know if I get a reply

Anyone looking for a van,one careful owner low mileage.:lol-053::lol-053:

Budget vans

Hmmm...Elddis get a bad press...low cost but seemingly low quality. We bought ours at 8 years old...various issues needing addressing in its history. In the two years we've had it all mot (minor) work required was coz previous owners left it stood too long. There's a bit of damp and door catches a bit iffy !! It just ticked boxes as in engine, length, layout, low mileage, price at the time. We actually love it as a starter van...basic though it is....it's got an aluminum chassis..what more could you want LOL !! In answer to above, probably wouldn't buy a new one.... but then don't buy much new anyway...oh maybe toothbrush...Maja

Hmmm...Elddis get a bad press...low cost but seemingly low quality. We bought ours at 8 years old...various issues needing addressing in its history. In the two years we've had it all mot (minor) work required was coz previous owners left it stood too long. There's a bit of damp and door catches a bit iffy !! It just ticked boxes as in engine, length, layout, low mileage, price at the time. We actually love it as a starter van...basic though it is....it's got an aluminum chassis..what more could you want LOL !! In answer to above, probably wouldn't buy a new one.... but then don't buy much new anyway...oh maybe toothbrush...Maja

We have had a couple of their caravans and had no problems with them whatsoever that's why we got this one, like you the layout was perfect for us and being just under 6m long it was ideal for the ferries ,and the misses is able to drive it. Don't know if that's a good thing or not.;);)

I forgot to add that the areal socket also broke the weekend before we went on holiday to see our son in Northern Ireland in the summer, so that meant ANOTHER trek out to Knowpark which they renewed.The van has been in their workshop more than it has been sitting in our drive.

Absolute liberty.
Should have been at your convenience, please arrange for a visit to your nearest service centre, or a visit by a mobile service engineer.

Absolute liberty.
Should have been at your convenience, please arrange for a visit to your nearest service centre, or a visit by a mobile service engineer.

If they get me to inspect the battery box and fill in the form it only costs them the price of a stamp second ,class stamp at that,any other way it costs them.

We had a small issue with an imported Hymer, and we called into the factory in Germany.
Immediately they said it was their problem and they would fix and they did.
Unlike the UK dealers and manufactures who try everything to wriggle out!

Your Hymer experience is the way it should be everywhere.

What will this acquisition mean,Hymers built in UK and leak or Elldis vans built like Hymers and be water tight?
I can hardly wait!

Elddis are cheap and lightweight. Hymer are not. It makes little sense to buy such a different brand and subsume it, so perhaps they will keep it as it is. Or maybe they got it by mistake as part of a bigger deal?

From what I have read HD they want a bigger foothold on the UK market. not dissimilar to BMW getting involved with Rover in the past (although they only wanted Mini ?)

It seems the Hymer group to compete with Trigano are adopting a similar template to Volkswagen group Seat different to Audi etc , however scales of economy in production techniques common componentry

Channa

Personally, I think Hymer will devalue the name Hymer
German workforce have pride in what they do, unfortunately, I cannot say the same for the UK workforce!
Thankfully Honda Nissan Infiniti can ! Last company I worked for had an engineering section in Ossett of all places. And designed a variable speed electric starter motor for a wind tunnel that the Germans couldn't do !!

Uk engineering is still world quality, but then in the grand scale of things build quality is generally poor on all marques seems a complacent market

Channa

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back