5 Minutes charging batteries.

When they get to having a range of 500 to 700 miles on a 5 minute charge they'll be getting there.
Of course if you read the article it says the response from manufacturers to 5 minute charge batteries will be to reduce the Ah of batteries in most electric cars to make them: much cheaper, more economical in miles per Ah due to less weight, or more potential payload, and less range. So we would charge quickly at 2 hourly stops.
I think the battery technology could be used as of now to get a range of 500-700 miles charge in 5 minutes, unfortunately the charging infrastructure is not up to it and you might be lucky to have room for the driver in terms of payload.😏
The charging infrastructure is not good enough now, but it is a chicken and egg situation and the biggest stopper is range anxiety.
Apparently BP is investigating changing all their forecourts to electric charging.

Is there a danger of battery tech advancing so fast that the current crop of EVs will be so far behind that there will be no support for the old tech and have a very poor 2nd hand value in only a few years time.

I can see a deliberate staggered development of EV's much like tablets and 'phones. Whatever makes the most profit and the wealthy will go for the latest 'must haves' as soon as they come out. Us ordinary folk may have to stay a step behind with their cast offs.

They have to string you along with tec advances so you will change car every 2 years as normal, sales men need there fix, sorry pay.

Last edited:
They have to string you along with tec advances so you will change car every 2 years as normal, sales men need they fix, sorry pay.
Will all be controlled by software updates.
Won't be buying cars as we do now, will all be leased. Further down the line, you ain't driving anywhere willy nilly.

There are a few cars being made with solar panels on the roof and bonnet and some with every panel able to create electricity. This might be a way to extend the range on EV’s.

In the typical 2 car household the 2nd car often does the local trips. School run, shopping , commuting to work etc . These cars never do more than 50 miles in a day. Often a lot less. There must be a market for something 4 seat and lightweight with a 100 mile max range..even 50mph max speed....it would even be feasible to do occasional longer journeys if it recharged whilst the driver had a coffee and a pee. Even a half hour recharge would be acceptable.

My wife's car typically does a 5 mile run twice a day with a once a week trip to supermarket 10 miles away.....longest trip it needs to do is 130 miles to get to daughters.....always at least one coffee stop on way.
If necessary we'd hire a bigger longer range vehicle if needed for a trip.

I guess even now we could use a diesel van and a leccy 2nd car , and scrap the van when I retire next year.....just have to use air bnb instead of using the van as a tin tent

Electric cars need a rethink from a blank sheet not a conversion from a dino fuel design

Last edited:
Will all be controlled by software updates.
Won't be buying cars as we do now, will all be leased. Further down the line, you ain't driving anywhere willy nilly.
So hows the farmers going to put a few sheep in the back and then shisting in the back seat, not going to happen, only for city boys.

In the typical 2 car household the 2nd car often does the local trips. School run, shopping , commuting to work etc . These cars never do more than 50 miles in a day. Often a lot less. There must be a market for something 4 seat and lightweight with a 100 mile max range..even 50mph max speed....it would even be feasible to do occasional longer journeys if it recharged whilst the driver had a coffee and a pee. Even a half hour recharge would be acceptable.

My wife's car typically does a 5 mile run twice a day with a once a week trip to supermarket 10 miles away.....longest trip it needs to do is 130 miles to get to daughters.....always at least one coffee stop on way.
If necessary we'd hire a bigger longer range vehicle if needed for a trip.

I guess even now we could use a diesel van and a leccy 2nd car , and scrap the van when I retire next year.....just have to use air bnb instead of using the van as a tin tent

Electric cars need a rethink from a blank sheet not a conversion from a dino fuel design
Many families have couples who both work and could use both cars for longer trips. At the moment, many EV’s will comfortably manage 100 miles a day or more so for the second, lightly used car, they would be ideal, but when we both worked, both cars covered well over 15,000 miles a year and there must be a lot of people who do high mileages daily for which an EV would be pointless.
But, even if battery technology improves, the charging infrastructure needs to be in place where it is convenient to be used.
Not sure if garages converting their forecourts to all electric will be of much benefit. You’d have to park your car there for quite a while to get a decent charge, or if it’s just for a quick top up charge on your way to work, I don’t really see the point of them.

Many families have couples who both work and could use both cars for longer trips. At the moment, many EV’s will comfortably manage 100 miles a day or more so for the second, lightly used car, they would be ideal, but when we both worked, both cars covered well over 15,000 miles a year and there must be a lot of people who do high mileages daily for which an EV would be pointless.
But, even if battery technology improves, the charging infrastructure needs to be in place where it is convenient to be used.
Not sure if garages converting their forecourts to all electric will be of much benefit. You’d have to park your car there for quite a while to get a decent charge, or if it’s just for a quick top up charge on your way to work, I don’t really see the point of them.
There are plenty of EV's that would suit the vast majority of people, and they are selling 'like hotcakes' at the moment. Those that cover longer distances might want to consider why they are driving so far, occasionally there will be a good reason, but every day the A1(for example) is full of people driving somewhere other than where they live just to work.

There are plenty of EV's that would suit the vast majority of people, and they are selling 'like hotcakes' at the moment. Those that cover longer distances might want to consider why they are driving so far, occasionally there will be a good reason, but every day the A1(for example) is full of people driving somewhere other than where they live just to work.
That will be those adult shops found on the A1

Interesting observation .... " occasionally there will be a good reason, but every day the A1(for example) is full of people driving somewhere other than where they live just to work."
The line "occasionally there will be a good reason, but ..." is maybe not that well matched to "....just to work".
Or is it as if all these people are thinking "ah, what the hell. I know. I'll just go to work today. might as well". Fools, I know.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back