24 hrs elec used

We used £3 of electric over 4 nights at our last campsite. That was running fridge and electric kettle (gas heating and oven) plus lights, charging phones etc and arriving with fully charged hab battery.

Keith

A modern Fridge (80l) / Freezer (12l) will use about 3kw per day on EHU and 300 g per day on gas.

This is about £1 a day at the prices being quoted.
2kw heating will use more in a couple of hours that the fridge uses each day.

Yes, thanks.
I realise the difference in power usage and time
As I posted we only use fan heater briefly and @ 1000 watts.
Fridges although lower power run all the time obviously not at full power.
I can do the sums and know the various equations.
Your info on fridge actual consumption over a day when idling a good deal is very useful.
Both leccy and gas. Thankz

Last edited:
Exactly your right.

And if you owned a CL or CS you would know how much the electrician charged you to install the electric hook-up points. :unsure:

Some people would even charge up their electric motorbikes up overnight :D

Wonder if they charge up the Electric cars too?

Exactly your right.

And if you owned a CL or CS you would know how much the electrician charged you to install the electric hook-up points. :unsure:

Some people would even charge up their electric motorbikes up overnight :D

Your not wrong. The owner of the Zero did.

It is common to be charged for the electricity you actually use on many continental campsites and Aires.
I switch the fridge and heating to gas so only use a small amount of electricity to fully recharge our batteries in the winter, typical cost about 1 pound or euro a night, less if I've been driving.
LPG is usually cheaper than electricity on a Campsite.
It also allows you to opt for a 5 or 6 amp supply which can be much cheaper than a 10 or 16 Amp connection.

I should explain that using 240v is unusuall for us untill winter arrives. We have 300w solar and lithium for the invertor and lpg. However the Alde 6kw gas heating can be used on electric at 3kw which drops automatically when the load to van exceeds 16 amp such as kettle use.The night and day timed thermostat always on.

Fan heater !
We have a small fan heater. 2KW or 1KW settings. Only ever use the 1KW together with it's thermostat.
In spring or summer it Switches off after 15mins or so ! So 1/4 unit..This 15min Burst may be repeated ever hour.
We also use a rice cooker maybe 800 watts fot 15 minutes maybe 2x .

Of course with EHU the fridge goes to Leccy and from what I read uses a significant amount
Typically, a three-way fridge uses about 200watts on mains power, but of course it is thermostatically controlled. My guess is max 2KWh per 24 hours, maybe less. If your batteries were low, add another 1KWh to 2KWh.
I think your fan heater is the culprit. There's something about fan heaters that makes you end up heating the area to a higher temperature than you would with a convector heater. I think the blown air makes you feel less warm, so you need to compensate with higher temperatures.

LPG is usually cheaper than electricity on a Campsite.
Yes, but it does depend on what you pay for your LPG. Refillable costs from 6p to 12p per KWh, but if you use small exchange bottles it could cost four times as much per KWh.

As far as I know, the cost of providing the hookup facilities can be charged as part of the site fees (some places make you pay even if you don't want hookup) but those costs cannot be added to the per-unit electricity cost.
This goes back to the days of rip-off landlords charging tenants a fortune through private slot meters. The law was changed so landlords are only allowed to charge what the fuel costs.

Other way round. Always full power, not all the time.
The thermostat turns the power off when the set temperature is reached.
You seem to think that either I do not understand or I have a problem with power.
Perhaps imprecise in what I said about fridge.
Yes Switched on all the time but only uses power when needed.
We rarely use the fan heater and only when on EHU and only at 1000 watts.
THen only for 10 or 15 mins until the living space is up to temperature. OUR gas truma heating works fine off re-fillable LPG.
whetyher the fidge is working xall the timme or not either a total KWH for 24 hrs or an average amperage provides the same information

Last edited:
As a simple comparison from here
Scroll down 1
Convert LPG litres to kWh: 1 L = 6.9 kWh of energy from LPG

In the summer we use about 1 lire per day at a cost of about £0.80
7 KWh of Electricity 20p = £1.40 at 27p =£1.90
20 KWH @ 20p (home £4.00) on site £5.40 more but NOT a rip-off
Fridge and heating maybe more efficient on leccy
Cannot charge laptop from Gas !

From MoJo's original post
Arrived at cl site with metered electric. Interesting I thought as never looked in to consumption before. Put 14 kw on meter . After 18 hrs it ran out. So it seems we consume about 18/19 kw in 24hrs.
On this site at. 27 pence that's about £5.00 per day?
20KWh on LPG would use about 3 litres so say £2.40

Electricity per power used is always much more than any other source
Again scroll down

Last edited:
Assume you fill at Asda, you'd pay £1.05 per kg or 7.5p per KWh for LPG
There are cheaper suppliers, but not as geographically spread.
You don't need to live near a cheap LPG supplier: you can top up when you're passing.

Last edited:
Surely a metred and or limited supply say six amps would be a good idea these days. Better for the planet as it will focus those that abuse the included EHU to just use what you need.

I imagine the meters will be pricey to put in though for a CL or a site.

It depends on the type of meter. There are basically four functions:
1. Measure how much power has been used
2. Display how much power has been used.
3. Take payment for power.
4. Turn off power pending payment.
1. is dead easy. 2. isn't much more difficult. If you are happy with just that functionality, you can buy a power meter from China for about a tenner: it fits into a din rail breaker box, next to the existing breaker switch.
3. Is the tricky one. Is it going to take cash? Card payments? Tokens? If it were me, I'd ask for an electricity deposit and then give a refund on departure, after taking off the power used.
But there is one other approach I might consider: one of the Sonoff WiFi switches that monitor power use. The ones I have are only rated for 10A but that's probably a sensible limit anyway. I think they cost about a tenner. The thing about them is that you can read the meter over the WiFi, and you can turn the power on and off over the WiFi. That does depend on WiFi coverage, if course.
Either way, the parts cost about a tenner, installation very simple and straightforward.

Not sure what the usual rate for consumers is at the moment, but I thought the sites were not allowed to charge more than that?
Correct Rob , that law seems to have gone the same way as builders building affordable houses . Home Leccy is about 14 p a KWH

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back