24 hrs elec used

MOJO

Free Member
How much do you use in 24 hrs?

Arrived at cl site with metered electric. Interesting I thought as never looked in to consumption before. Put 14 kw on meter . After 18 hrs it ran out. So it seems we consume about 18/19 kw in 24hrs.
On this site at. 27 pence that's about £5.00 per day?

Not sure what the usual rate for consumers is at the moment, but I thought the sites were not allowed to charge more than that?

Did you use Electric Heating by any chance? As a 1kw fire will use 24kw in 24 hours without telling you the obvious.

Did you use Electric Heating by any chance? As a 1kw fire will use 24kw in 24 hours without telling you the obvious.

So a year ago in October we stayed on a Caravan Park,one of the big players, who were doing a Hook Up pitch for £5.70 a night so by plugging in two radiators at 500 watts each for 24 hours we sure got our moneys worth.Apart from Electric Kettle Hair Dryer etc.

Regulator Ofgem has put legislation in place to prevent people from being overcharged on their energy bills on a campsite or holiday park. The legislation outlines a maximum resale price - this is the maximum anyone can charge for resupplying electricity that's been purchased from an authorised supplier.21 Apr 2020

So I suppose they can charge up to the Maximum Resale Price on this basis

Fan heater !
We have a small fan heater. 2KW or 1KW settings. Only ever use the 1KW together with it's thermostat.
In spring or summer it Switches off after 15mins or so ! So 1/4 unit..This 15min Burst may be repeated ever hour.
We also use a rice cooker maybe 800 watts fot 15 minutes maybe 2x .

Of course with EHU the fridge goes to Leccy and from what I read uses a significant amount

Last edited:
Not sure what the usual rate for consumers is at the moment, but I thought the sites were not allowed to charge more than that?

Correct they can only charge the same rate as they pay per unit. :unsure:

Having said that electric hook-up points are not free to install, test and maintain

and the bigger/larger electric supply is VERY expensive to have installed to the site. :eek:

As soon as you start plugging in fan heaters and 2kw electric heaters it really ramps up the usage. I remember talking to a CL owner once and he was thinking of going onto a metered connection as he said people were turning up, putting all sorts of lights out and running electric patio heaters even. A bit of "Ive paid for it so I am going to use it" kind of attitude.

Must admit when ever I have used a meter which has generally been in places like Germany we use naff all and 50c worth generally lasted all night but no heating and just charging the batteries really. I used to moor my boat on Windermere over winter and the electric was over and above the mooring fee. I remember being pretty shocked what it racked up just for running electric heating.

I have said before when people have been moaning about the cost of some EHU charges that they have a very unrealistic idea about the costs and consumption.
Many as soon as they hook up put and leave hot water and heating on, some even leaving heaters on 24hrs in awnings.

How much do you use in 24 hrs?
Never checked when in the van but looking back thru smart meter don't come near that at home this time of year with fridge, 2 freezers, immersion heater. washing machine, dish washer, elec kettle and cooking for 2 our max day cost £1.50 lowest was 70p

Never checked when in the van but looking back thru smart meter don't come near that at home this time of year with fridge, 2 freezers, immersion heater. washing machine, dish washer, elec kettle and cooking for 2 our max day cost £1.50 lowest was 70p
Does you oil or gas not heat water,two friges and a dish washer,time to get a woman in. 😂 😂 😂

I have said before when people have been moaning about the cost of some EHU charges that they have a very unrealistic idea about the costs and consumption.
Many as soon as they hook up put and leave hot water and heating on, some even leaving heaters on 24hrs in awnings.

Exactly your right.

And if you owned a CL or CS you would know how much the electrician charged you to install the electric hook-up points. :unsure:

Some people would even charge up their electric motorbikes up overnight :D

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back