15 minute cities

" Most councils are not stopping you from driving your vehicle, but simply banning the largest polluters" This is completely missing the point of the Oxford 15 minute scheme.
It doesn't matter what vehicle you drive, you cannot drive from your area directly to another - you have to drive outwards to a ring road and then back in greatly increasing the distance and time. You will also be automatically fined if you exceed your permitted allowance of journeys away from your local patch, thus ending our long held right to free movement. No party campaigned for this erosion of our rights, and I'm surprised a local council can do so. It is not the will of the people - it is tyranny.
Hence the word most.
You say this is not the will of the people, but the people voted for the council, if they're not happy they can vote for another.
And these councillors are well aware of this.
As for tyranny I hardly reckon thats a word I would use.
Tyranny would be what the nazis brought to Germany, Paul Pot to Cambodia, or Amin to Uganda.
You talk about freedom, and erosion of your rights.
What about the rights of people not to die younger than they should have due to pollution.

Certainly if there is some way of improving the situation in Oxford or anywhere else, without increasing pollution,
and maintaining at the levels set for health reasons they should be looked into.
If people are being forced to drive longer distances than is necessary, thats preposterous, and should also be looked into.
But people should consider other means of transport in cities, in Amsterdam the humble cycle is used a lot.

Obviously it would be better if these measures have public support, but implementing such measures is bound to upset some.
And in this country we can vote for what and who we want, and if I lived in a city with high pollution, I know which way I would vote.

Stop saying sorry, when you don't mean it. :LOL:

Don't know why you are apologising to me anyway, tangents are fine.

I don't have any problem addressing pollution in cities, I don't know why you are trying to make out I do.

I just don't think 15 minute cities are the way to do it, but then I'm not an authoritarian.

As for the age thing, you very nicely undermined your own point. Thank you. :)

Anyway, I'm lucky enough to get free public transport in London, 😂 and public transport definitely needs addressing.
Oh but I do, sorry for saying sorry :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Honest ;)

I know why you bought your E Bike Mark. :ROFLMAO:

Perhaps you can explain why killing thousands of people because you reckon driving heavily polluting vehicles in city centres is acceptable. And it is happening your way Trev. These old folk can be transported in vehicles that conform to the requirements of the LEZ. There is no need for them to be transported in vehicles that don’t comply.

People here like me drive whats cheap, anyway I dont do city driving as to many buses.

People here like me drive whats cheap, anyway I dont do city driving as to many buses.
Ah so you sit in filthy diesel buses then Trev, it’s selfish folk like you that keep these things on the road. Why not park and ride, then you the missus and the kids could all cycle into the city. Just think of all the money you would be saving, and you would be environmentally friendly. You could even splash out and get them all E bikes Trev. Cmon Trev, you know it makes perfect sense. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Ah so you sit in filthy diesel buses then Trev, it’s selfish folk like you that keep these things on the road. Why not park and ride, then you the missus and the kids could all cycle into the city. Just think of all the money you would be saving, and you would be environmentally friendly. You could even splash out and get them all E bikes Trev. Cmon Trev, you know it makes perfect sense. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Cycle into the city, you would end up under a 40 tonner, any way 6 miles home up hill 700ft above sea level, i would not last a week, thats if the bike was not nicked in town as most do.
Any way all boy racers here, you must keep up or get squashed.
n ireland m cycle.png

Last edited:
Great short video from a 12 year old girl about the insanity of the 15 minute cities our overlords are trying to impose on us, as a first step to outlaw all unnecessary travel.
More tilting at windmills, wish I could find it funny. Another wingnut conspiracy theory, to scare folks.
One things for sure, we are going to hell in a hand cart, but disinformation, gullible people, and finding fake enemies everywhere,such as immigrants, snowflakes,wokeism,climate activists,is allowing the real criminals running the show to rob us and gaslight us in plain sight.

T
More tilting at windmills, wish I could find it funny. Another wingnut conspiracy theory, to scare folks.
One things for sure, we are going to hell in a hand cart, but disinformation, gullible people, and finding fake enemies everywhere,such as immigrants, snowflakes,wokeism,climate activists,is allowing the real criminals running the show to rob us and gaslight us in plain sight.
Got to be honest there Korky I had never heard of the term tilting at windmills, and stupidly forgot what gaslighting is :( So I had to google your terminology before I could understand it. But once I got the gist of what you were saying I have to agree. I think it’s strange that when we were less informed prior to the internet, we were more tolerant of opposing views, were less drawn towards conspiracies, and possibly a bit better at listening. I enjoy the internet, but I sometimes wonder, are we using it properly, or is it using us improperly.

T

Got to be honest there Korky I had never heard of the term tilting at windmills, and stupidly forgot what gaslighting is :( So I had to google your terminology before I could understand it. But once I got the gist of what you were saying I have to agree. I think it’s strange that when we were less informed prior to the internet, we were more tolerant of opposing views, were less drawn towards conspiracies, and possibly a bit better at listening. I enjoy the internet, but I sometimes wonder, are we using it properly, or is it using us improperly.
The internet and social media has brought us all wonderful opportunities and enriched many lives. On the other hand it enables all kind of evils to flourish, malign foreign states and bad actors to influence our elections, decision making and to colour our opinions and even reduce our empathy levels. The mad genie is out of the bottle and we humans are a gullible species. Dystopian it is.

On the other hand van trips I've been planning this evening include, summer mullet fishing in S.Wales, a trip to Zappanale Festival nr. Rostock and a possible shoulder arthroscopy in one of the Baltic states, all done on t' net. There's the rub,it is a marvellous tool.

Last edited:
T

You've never read Don Quixote Bill? Shame on you!

My mum gave me a copy when I was a nipper which she had from her childhood, I still have it somewhere.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back