15 minute cities

What about walking. In my last home we were plagued by people driving their kids to school less than a mile away. Many families don’t own cars because they either don’t want one or can’t afford them.

Also all I hear on here are comments about how young Greta Thunberg is. Questioning her motives, and her lack of knowledge and qualifications. I wonder will those same folk question this articulate young girl.

What about walking. In my last home we were plagued by people driving their kids to school less than a mile away. Many families don’t own cars because they either don’t want one or can’t afford them.

Also all I hear on here are comments about how young Greta Thunberg is. Questioning her motives, and her lack of knowledge and qualifications. I wonder will those same folk question this articulate young girl.
No, this girl obviously went to school and is talking sense. :LOL:

Nothing wrong with being able to walk to most of what you need, but everything wrong with restricting movement outside your small area. The 2024 Oxford scheme will only allow you to go outside your area with a vehicle 100 times a year. If that is accepted by the public - how long before the 100 is drastically reduced, and we are back to the feudal past where you need permission to go beyond your own local area.

That post just confirms I was right. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Obviously the comparison with Greta was the first thing that pops to mind, the girl even mocks Greta, but the reality is different.
There is absolutely no comparison to be made between a Greta who gets taken round the world to shout at world leaders, has staged police detentions organised and whatever else and a girl giving one speech at a protest. You will have to wait and see how this young persons activist career takes off before your point is valid. 😝

Obviously the comparison with Greta was the first thing that pops to mind, the girl even mocks Greta, but the reality is different.
There is absolutely no comparison to be made between a Greta who gets taken round the world to shout at world leaders, has staged police detentions organised and whatever else and a girl giving one speech at a protest. You will have to wait and see how this young persons activist career takes off before your point is valid. 😝
Sorry Mark but my point is as valid as yours or anyone else's.
Pollution within city centres has been proven to kill thousands prematurely every year.
We are not talking about global warming which is debatable. Something I am not totally convinced about.
Obviously these schemes make life more difficult for us, but highlighting having to walk home from a friends house instead of being driven seems minor.
How did she get to her friends was she driven there also.
As for her comments about CCTV, many crimes in this country would remain unsolved without it.
But bottom line, if Gretas age and lack of any qualifications is relevant and subject to debate, then its also relevant here, with a 12 year old girl.

Pollution within city centres has been proven to kill thousands prematurely every year.
We are not talking about global warming which is debatable. Something I am not totally convinced about.
Obviously these schemes make life more difficult for us, but highlighting having to walk home from a friends house instead of being driven seems minor.
As for her comments about CCTV, many crimes in this country would remain unsolved without it.
But bottom line, if Gretas age and lack of any qualifications is relevant and subject to debate, then its also relevant here, with a 12 year old girl.
You explain to me how old folk could walk to other homes in pissistantly rainy days and freezing cold with high winds, and maybe 3/4 times a day to make sure they are feed and watered, never happen here.

The girl says it is a 10 minute drive to see her friend, so probably 3 or 4 miles away - thats a long way for a 12 year old girl to walk back from after dark, and possibly not very safe. Under this new scheme it becomes a 30 minute drive - how is this better for the environment or in any way at all sensible.
Canterbury has also proposed a similar scheme ending the public's freedom to travel.

Thats not the point you made in your initial post.

Apology accepted. :)

Thats not the point you made in your initial post.

Apology accepted. :)
My point really had little to do with this child mark.
It had more to do with questioning the validity of Gretas POV due to her age, but not doing likewise for a 12 year old.
The fact that I now talk about pollution in city centres which does kill thousands each year does nothing to remove my earlier point. Hence why I reiterated it in my last paragraph.

But it’s a fact that those who live in city centres live shorter lives and are statistically much more likely to die prematurely from respiratory illness than those living outside cities. Unlike global warming which is way more complicated, and open to debate.

Mark I worked in a job were many die before their time due to respiratory illness. Even with improved conditions due to health and safety, and improved procedures and better breathing apparatus, it’s still a killer.

You explain to me how old folk could walk to other homes in pissistantly rainy days and freezing cold with high winds, and maybe 3/4 times a day to make sure they are feed and watered, never happen here.
Perhaps you can explain why killing thousands of people because you reckon driving heavily polluting vehicles in city centres is acceptable. And it is happening your way Trev. These old folk can be transported in vehicles that conform to the requirements of the LEZ. There is no need for them to be transported in vehicles that don’t comply.

a) Glad I don't live in a city - very selfish of me, that much I admit ;)

b) anybody seen how crap our UK public ....er, sorry, private...transport systems are?

I don't remember using anything other than buses, trains or Shank's Pony for everyday life when I was growing up. Buses were mega cheap! Not so now, and train ticket prices are off the scale.

If schemes like this are to work they need to buck up their ideas on our transport infrastructure and I don't see that happening anytime soon, do you? Until then I guess you have to make a choice on whether you want to be a rebel or just comply with the 'law' - and that cuts both ways, btw. ;)

With so much hot air and BS on the agenda I doubt whether any of this will come to fruition - at least in places where it actually matters 🤷‍♀️

I'd rather take my chances with pollution . Ie I live in the next village to hinkley point C nuclear power station
Polluting
It has had its larges days in the UK. And we didnt test air. 1850 to 1980 We have lived through the worse with pollution now 2023. This is a Oiho train crash problem !. Chynoble
Im more likely to be knocked down by a vehicle just like most of us . I still won't ban privately owned petrol diesel cars lol, but mite ban electric as you don't hear them coming down the road.
1215 Im A FREEMAN OF ENGLAND !.not prisoner of the UK government.
freedom should include privately owned cars transportation ! Ho, So it dose.

Who mentioned travel by train, not a hope in hell.
This is Gloucester to London
1 ticket, but theres 2 of us
Screenshot_20230213-092942_Chrome.jpg

I think it's important to highlight this is not a global warming issue.
Global warming is very complicated, and many including myself have issues with its efficacy.

What we are talking about here is pollution, and it's a killer, plain and simple.
When I first joined the fire service in 1974, many did not even reach retirement age.
Many others died within five years of retirement.
Things have improved but still to many firefighters die well before their time due to what they breathed in.
Even with all the improvements, and much of what we breathed in is similar to what cars dish out.
The fire brigades union and the employers are researching into this, to see what can be done.

Most councils are not stopping you from driving your vehicle, but simply banning the largest polluters.
The London mayor Sadiq Khan reckons that in London alone 4,000 die each year due to pollution.
On a pro rata basis this would mean approx 35,000 dying prematurely each year due to pollution in our cities.
Surely this is not acceptable.

I agree with Marie, public transport is to expensive and not up to scratch, it has to improve.

But I am off on one of my tangents here. :)
Sorry Mark.

" Most councils are not stopping you from driving your vehicle, but simply banning the largest polluters" This is completely missing the point of the Oxford 15 minute scheme.
It doesn't matter what vehicle you drive, you cannot drive from your area directly to another - you have to drive outwards to a ring road and then back in greatly increasing the distance and time. You will also be automatically fined if you exceed your permitted allowance of journeys away from your local patch, thus ending our long held right to free movement. No party campaigned for this erosion of our rights, and I'm surprised a local council can do so. It is not the will of the people - it is tyranny.

I think it's important to highlight this is not a global warming issue.
Global warming is very complicated, and many including myself have issues with its efficacy.

What we are talking about here is pollution, and it's a killer, plain and simple.
When I first joined the fire service in 1974, many did not even reach retirement age.
Many others died within five years of retirement.
Things have improved but still to many firefighters die well before their time due to what they breathed in.
Even with all the improvements, and much of what we breathed in is similar to what cars dish out.
The fire brigades union and the employers are researching into this, to see what can be done.

Most councils are not stopping you from driving your vehicle, but simply banning the largest polluters.
The London mayor Sadiq Khan reckons that in London alone 4,000 die each year due to pollution.
On a pro rata basis this would mean approx 35,000 dying prematurely each year due to pollution in our cities.
Surely this is not acceptable.

I agree with Marie, public transport is to expensive and not up to scratch, it has to improve.

But I am off on one of my tangents here. :)
Sorry Mark.
Stop saying sorry, when you don't mean it. :LOL:

Don't know why you are apologising to me anyway, tangents are fine.

I don't have any problem addressing pollution in cities, I don't know why you are trying to make out I do.

I just don't think 15 minute cities are the way to do it, but then I'm not an authoritarian.

As for the age thing, you very nicely undermined your own point. Thank you. :)

Anyway, I'm lucky enough to get free public transport in London, 😂 and public transport definitely needs addressing.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back