12v electric blanket

A 230v (UK stopped bing 240v back in 2003) ....
Not sure where you got that from, but the mains supply has remained at 240v for decades, and still is.
Mine fluctuates between 238v and 243v - depending on usage, etc...

Not sure where you got that from, but the mains supply has remained at 240v for decades, and still is.
Mine fluctuates between 238v and 243v - depending on usage, etc...
The U.K. signed up for this in 1994, and was implemented 2003.
However this does not mean that your voltage will be 230v, there is latitude within that figure. This was to harmonise voltage within the EU. Your nominal voltage is set to 230v with tolerances.

The U.K. signed up for this in 1994, and was implemented 2003.
However this does not mean that your voltage will be 230v, there is latitude within that figure. This was to harmonise voltage within the EU. Your nominal voltage is set to 230v with tolerances.

Reading that, it looks like a rather pointless exercise then, as nothing changed. In Europe you are lucky if you get a full 220v at any time, and most of the UK see's a good 240v - so no more harmonised than it ever was.

Reading that, it looks like a rather pointless exercise then, as nothing changed. In Europe you are lucky if you get a full 220v at any time, and most of the UK see's a good 240v - so no more harmonised than it ever was.
I could answer you, but my political and offensive post would be removed. ;)

I was only letting you see where it came from, you stated you did not know.
The link actually states what you say, “nothing has changed“
It does seem pointless.

Last edited:
Back to electric blankets -

I bought a 12v one a couple of years ago but only tried it once because the instructions said to put it over you. It wasn't much use on top of the duvet, no heat got through, and it made it all too heavy. I tried it between the duvet and me but it was uncomfortable.

At home I use a mains one which goes under the "under blanket" and sheet and is really good.

I might try Wildebus's suggestion of putting the 12v one underneath instead; they aren't a big power draw at only 50 watts so putting it on to warm the bed up for an hour before you get in won't flatten the battery and as it would be unplugged when you get on top of it then it isn't going to fry you. Worst that could happen is it breaks from having my weight on it.

I have a 12v blanket that I have had for years and never used. You are welcome to have it for the cost of the postage.

Get a wife like mine and tell her something bad is going to happen, she will get so hot that the bedclothes will be thrown off to let you both cool down.

We bought a 12 volt blanket off eBay for £12 worth a try at that price we used it at will o Nat's and it warmed us up a treat ours has 3 heat settings and a timer so goes off after a hour and hardly used any power out of our 200ah lithium battery so would recommend one

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back