12v electric blanket

Derekoak

Can anyone recommend one from experience. Are they used as under blankets or overblankets? We do have a 300w inverter so a 240v one is possible but the inverter has a fan so is a little noisy.

If the idea is to run it from a car battery then I would not think its possible, electric hookup with a electric blanket then yes.

We do have a 300w inverter so a 240v one is possible but the inverter has a fan so is a little noisy.

A 230v (UK stopped bing 240v back in 2003) 200w blanket via an inverter will use (200 /12) + 10% amps = 20 amps.
A typical MoHo battery (Nominal 120 ah) will provide 60 ah before it is flat.
So enjoy your 3 hours of warmth and you'll have a flat battery next morning.

Better off with a hot water bottle.

OK I was only imagining a short burst of heat and I have almost triple the battery capacity you assume, new lithium x 200ah. However the 12v blankets I saw seemed to only be 50 watt, you could use that for longer, even if it was less warmth.
A hot water bottle gets cold before you must get up.
I am really after user experience, you can't beat it. If there is no user experience here that is valuable in itself.

Last edited:
We have one, it's approximately 1.2m square and we used it on the drop down bed if we had been travelling to take the chill away.
We found it works well, admittedly only in the middle where it was positioned, we rarely used it without the engine running.
If you're interested we still still have it, pm me and we can discuss it more.

OK I was only imagining a short burst of heat .... A hot water bottle gets cold before you must get up.

i.e. short burst of heat.

I've no experience of electric blankets in the MoHo (or at home come to that because we have a heated water bed).

Good luck with the research.

A 230v (UK stopped bing 240v back in 2003)
just not quite right

What is the difference between UK voltage and European voltage​

The voltage used throughout Europe (including the UK) has been harmonised since January 2003 at a nominal 230v 50 Hz (formerly 240V in UK, 220V in the rest of Europe) but this does not mean there has been a real change in the supply.
Instead, the new “harmonised voltage limits” in most of Europe (the former 220V nominal countries) are now:
230V -10% +6% (i.e. 207.0 V-243.8 V)
In the UK (former 240V nominal) they are:
230V -6% +10% (i.e. 216.2 V – 253.0 V)
This effectively means there is no real change of supply voltage, only a change in the “label”, with no incentive for electricity supply companies to actually change the supply voltage.
To cope with both sets of limits all modern equipment will therefore be able to accept 230V +/-10% i.e. 207-253V.

230V? 240V? I have this discussion with Trev quite a bit when I say "240V" :)

Always been 230v here in N Ireland, just tested it. (y)
Trev, I will see your 230V and raise you 10V :cool:

IMG_20211217_122726_0.jpg

This is pretty typical where I am. It very rarely ever drops below 240V and if it does only to 239V.

Back to the topic .... Electric Blankets

I used a full-sized one on my Safari Camperbus and it was fantastic. Used to use it off-grid no problem. I'd turn it on full on the journey and then on low overnight.

In the Motorhome I have the one in this link - https://amzn.to/3eBz6LI - on the overcab bed (sized to allow me to still fold the mattress) and I find it very usable. Specs say 40W, but that is on full power, and you would not need to run on full for long. Run it on 240V/230V (240V EHU, or 230V Inverter ;) ). Can you run off a battery? obviously depends on your setup and how long until you are driving again, but an overnighter? Absolutely.

I fitted it between the Original Mattress and the Mattress Topper so don't feel it all and the heat radiates into both and is retained nicely after it is switched down and then off.

Not unusual to see 245v here, first time I've noticed it at 248v, not sure what our 3ph is running at right now.

I use a standard mains powered electric blanket which is 40W on its highest setting and 22W on its lowest of three settings. 30 mins usage from my lithium powerbank ensures a snug warm bed with ample power remaining for a top up in the night, if needed.

Never found the need to heat the bed or have the heating on by night but can reach the controls without getting out.
But wanted to say a memory foam mattress or topper are great for keeping you warm in bed

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back