12/240 Volt Compressor Fridge Recommendations.

Hi
im not worthy of adoration, have you seen my mug.
why didn’t you use your time here to suggest your ”old hat” knowledge to help the original poster. That’s my only motive, to offer a possible option.
taking your “old hat”comments in a positive way, I will see it as an endorsement that my suggestion has value. Have a good day, no hard feeling, life’s too short.
if in future I try to help answer a question, please direct your efforts to adding to that help rather than having a swipe at me or anyone else.
Hi Craster
Please pay no attention to others negative comments, you replied to my post and the advice you gave was most welcome and the route we will be going down.
I'll pm you later if you don't mind, to ask for more details if your instal and parts used etc. Many thanks.
Colin.🙂👍

i run it on a £30 cheapo inverter. To be honest I didn’t expect it to last but touch wood it’s still going. Draws just above 6 amps once compressor is running.
6A is a little more than I would have expected TBH but still managable if the duty cycle is ok.
I am wary of using a cheapo inverter for something I would want running non-stop 24/7 and unattended most of the time. I am maybe too cautious but everyone has their own ways and thoughts.

@Mtbcol - This is the fridge I fitted in my Campervan and found it excellent - it is rated at 84KW/Annun and I don't think I have seen a Fridge with a lower quoted power use (and I have checked the usage and the number quoted is spot on). I paid £180 and I see it is currently £150. Pretty good price there. I actually bought a spare one when I found it on offer in case the original failed but it never did, so have that fridge for sale, still in its original packaging and selling for £99.99 (on a pickup basis)
You could run it on Hookup if you installed a Transfer Switch (so allowing you to run off either Inverter or EHU) or you physically moved the fridge plug from an inverter outlet to mains outlet.

6A is a little more than I would have expected TBH but still managable if the duty cycle is ok.
I am wary of using a cheapo inverter for something I would want running non-stop 24/7 and unattended most of the time. I am maybe too cautious but everyone has their own ways and thoughts.

@Mtbcol - This is the fridge I fitted in my Campervan and found it excellent - it is rated at 84KW/Annun and I don't think I have seen a Fridge with a lower quoted power use (and I have checked the usage and the number quoted is spot on). I paid £180 and I see it is currently £150. Pretty good price there. I actually bought a spare one when I found it on offer in case the original failed but it never did, so have that fridge for sale, still in its original packaging and selling for £99.99 (on a pickup basis)
You could run it on Hookup if you installed a Transfer Switch (so allowing you to run off either Inverter or EHU) or you physically moved the fridge plug from an inverter outlet to mains outlet.
Hi wildebus
Was there supposed to be a link to your fridge, or a picture? And is it a compressor fridge? The boss (she who financed our van😁) is very interested. Could you send the dimensions and the where you live. pm is fine if you don't want to divulge this to all and sundry🙂
Colin.🙂

I have a Vitrifrigo 60 litre 12V compressor fridge.

It is by far the best I have ever had, and believe me over the years I have had a lot! Extremely economical to run, you just have to make sure you keep it turned down so as not to freeze everything.

I wouldn't even consider anything else now.

Hi wildebus
Was there supposed to be a link to your fridge, or a picture? And is it a compressor fridge? The boss (she who financed our van😁) is very interested. Could you send the dimensions and the where you live. pm is fine if you don't want to divulge this to all and sundry🙂
Colin.🙂
Opps. there was indeed. https://amzn.to/3vcot7N

If you are really bored, you could read this 22 page thread about the fridge (that very model) and its consumption - https://motorhomebuilder.com/threads/ac-fridge-in-campervan-power-consumption-test.62416/
To cut a very long story short ...."Bought around October 2017 for new Conversion, worked ever since and only really turned off when country went into lockdown in March 2020. Still running now in the campervan which went to a new owner at the end of last month".
And just to make 100% clear - the one for sale is identical to the one fitted, but is brand new.

I am in Eastern Scottish Borders basically half way between Newcastle and Edinburgh.

I have a Vitrifrigo 60 litre 12V compressor fridge.

It is by far the best I have ever had, and believe me over the years I have had a lot! Extremely economical to run, you just have to make sure you keep it turned down so as not to freeze everything.

I wouldn't even consider anything else now.
Ditto, we have one of these (Dometic compressor I think) and it uses around 2.4 amps when running, and, depending on outside temperature, no more than 30% duty cycle.
So thats around 17 Ah per day, so very economical.

If you are really bored, you could read this 22 page thread about the fridge (that very model) and its consumption - https://motorhomebuilder.com/threads/ac-fridge-in-campervan-power-consumption-test.62416/
To cut a very long story short ...."Bought around October 2017 for new Conversion, worked ever since and only really turned off when country went into lockdown in March 2020. Still running now in the campervan which went to a new owner at the end of last month".
And just to make 100% clear - the one for sale is identical to the one fitted, but is brand new.

I am in Eastern Scottish Borders basically half way between Newcastle and Edinburgh.
Hi wildebus, thank you for the info.

Looks like buying your new spare will be a no go unfortunately as we live in Suffolk, and with the diesel it would cost more than buying one off Amazon etc. and getting it delivered if we were to collect. Pity, we love Scotland and it would be nice to meet you and would do us both a favour also. ☹️

Yup, it wouldn't make sense, but it is an excellent fridge for the money and I know quite a few people who have subsequently bought them and are liking them :)
What I had to add - and I expect would have to do this with just about any 240V domestic fridge - was to tape down the metal shelves and add an external lock (used a child lock) to stop the door opening when driving. no domestic fridge is designed for going round corners ;)

Thanks again wildebus. I think we'll be getting one in the extremely near future, and taping down the shelves etc. ready for the NC500 next year😁👍🚐

Do use a smart inverter if stepping up as they sleep on idle until a signal to work, my we table top works well and uses 1/4 of an amp, there is no cooling pipework behind it as the whole unit is sealed, dont ask how it works but it does it very well, all advice was taken from wildbus and a fantastic long test and posts on here.
I did tests also, bench test with two 90ah batts will run 2 days and battery down to 12.2v, then i connected a charger on a timmer to simulate my solar charge through the day, charger put out 6amps for 3 hrs which was about half my solar output throughout the day, worked a treat and batter did not lose much charge over a week, so in went the fridge and it was a very good choice by far.

Last edited:
Do use a smart inverter if stepping up as they sleep on idle until a signal to work, my we table top works well and uses 1/4 of an amp, there is no cooling pipework behind it as the whole unit is sealed, dont ask how it works but it does it very well, all advice was taken from wildbus and a fantastic long test and posts on here.
I did tests also, bench test with two 90ah batts will run 2 days and battery down to 12.2v, then i connected a charger on a timmer to simulate my solar charge through the day, charger put out 6amps for 3 hrs which was about half my solar output throughout the day, worked a treat and batter did not lose much charge over a week, so in went the fridge and it was a very good choice by far.
Hi trevskoda
I'll probably wire the inverter in as per Craster van kipper has, ie use the fridge thermometer to turn on the inverter when the fridge needs it......assuming I can figure out how to do it🤣. I think a rekat was involved somewhere? I'll have to check his post again.

Hi trevskoda
I'll probably wire the inverter in as per Craster van kipper has, ie use the fridge thermometer to turn on the inverter when the fridge needs it......assuming I can figure out how to do it🤣. I think a rekat was involved somewhere? I'll have to check his post again.
I've seen that idea mooted in the past and thought it an interesting idea, but TBH it is not neccessary if you get a decent fridge and just overcomplicates things. I wouldn't bother. When the fridge needs cooling the compressor comes on, when it doesn't the compressor is off. Simples.

You might need to be careful that you are using the right source to switch as well. I don't know how a fridge thermostat works - if it goes on at one temp and off at another or is a straigh on/off at a certain temp. This might matter as a Fridge itself doesn't switch on and off at the same temp. The temp is allowed to rise before it comes back on again.
Below is a chart showing the Inventor fridge (the one in my link) cross-matched against how the inverter comes on when the fridge demands power

Fridge-Inverter
by David, on Flickr
Green is inverter off, Red is inverter on. The 0 and 2 is the temp of the Fridge in Celcius.

Yep, I'm more than happy to keep it simples! So far were defo going for the fridge in your post, but the smaller capacity version mainly due to space available in our van ( specs look the same as the one you posted 🤞). So to start with and see how it goes, we will have: fridge, 1000 w cheapish inverter, 2x 100 ah batteries ( we already have one) and see how we go. As we only charge phones, small dvd player and led lights when off grid, we might get away with a couple of days before going for a drive to top up until we get our solar panel/s 🤞

Hello all.
I'm ready to flex the credit card and start buying for the fridge project now, starting with the inverter. So, anyone got any recommendations for a 1000watt eBay inverter for our yet to be sourced fridge?
Dont want anything that's going to burst into flames, but can't afford to flex the card to far in case it snaps!😁

Hello all.
I'm ready to flex the credit card and start buying for the fridge project now, starting with the inverter. So, anyone got any recommendations for a 1000watt eBay inverter for our yet to be sourced fridge?
Dont want anything that's going to burst into flames, but can't afford to flex the card to far in case it snaps!😁
PM wildebus.

In our T5 conversion we have a Dometic 3 way fridge which has an ice box and has been absolutely perfect as we only have one large battery which serves the engine starter and then the habitation part. While travelling it uses 12V from alternator, when on site it works through hook-up and while wild camping (or on sites with no EHU) it runs from the gas. It's endured -5 temps up to +36 in Italy and ice box still made ice cubes. Doesn't use much gas either.

Attachments

• IMG_1557.JPG
    IMG_1557.JPG
    686.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1558.JPG
    IMG_1558.JPG
    558.3 KB · Views: 98

I have an inverter powered fridge in my van but am thinking of going a bit bigger. I like the look of the 93l Inventor that you linked to. I’d be interested to know your experience with the chiller/freezer compartment, does it keep ice cream frozen?

Thanks

Phill

I have an inverter powered fridge in my van but am thinking of going a bit bigger. I like the look of the 93l Inventor that you linked to. I’d be interested to know your experience with the chiller/freezer compartment, does it keep ice cream frozen?

Thanks

Phill
That is maybe the weakest aspect of the fridge. To be fair the makers don't promote it as a freezer compartment, just an 'ice box' and I found the temp in it rose and fell more than the fridge area (which was superb and stayed within a 2 degree range).
For Ice lollys/ice pops/ice cubes it is fine. Ice Cream may go slightly soft (depends if you like Ben & Jerrys rock hard stuff or soft scoop I guess?).

Thanks

Phill
I have the opposite problem, I don't want to waste fridge face on an ice box.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back