12/240 Volt Compressor Fridge Recommendations.

Mtbcol

Hello all

Currently on a campsite in North Wales šŸ™‚šŸ‘, which is brilliant but have realised we need a proper fridge rather than trekking down the field in the rain to collect our sausages, milk, beer etc. We are currently slowly converting our Transit so only have one leisure battery and no solar panels.
Could we get some ideas of a fridge as per post title, that we could run with our current set up ( I would be able to run the van as required to top up our leisure battery) until we have purchased a second battery and solar panel/s, preferably without breaking the bank, but that would suit our needs
Thanks in anticipation
Colin.šŸ™‚šŸ‘

Might be worth checking out the chest fridges. I'm convinced they use a lot less power simply because all the cold doesn't fall out every time you open the door. Savings will depend how often it's opened. Bit more of a pain to use, but fine once used to top loader.
Engels are probably top of the list but plenty of others ie, Dometic/Waeco, ARB are all good too.

Probably still have to run motor after a day or two stopped though.

Hi
Might be worth checking out the chest fridges. I'm convinced they use a lot less power simply because all the cold doesn't fall out every time you open the door. Savings will depend how often it's opened. Bit more of a pain to use, but fine once used to top loader.
Engels are probably top of the list but plenty of others ie, Dometic/Waeco, ARB are all good too.

Hi mark
Thank you, I'd be happy with a chest type, but the boss (who paid for the van) says it needs to look like a fridge and doesn't want to have to go sorting through it every time she wants something, as it will always be at the bottom šŸ˜. Any way, that'll give me something to go on, any idea what size solar panel we'll need eventually to run this and probably a diesel heater much later on in the conversion?
Thanks again.
Colin. šŸ™‚

Im running a table top fridge with a soft start smart inverter, 2 days on 2 90ah batts, but you will have to drive at least 49 miles to recharge, dont run an engine static as it will glass the bores and start using oil, i have 200w of solar but only good in summer.
fridge c.jpg
fridge a.jpg
inv a.jpg

National Luna are up there with chest fridges. We have a 52 litre weekender. Great bit of kit. Quiet, efficient and can be a freezer too. That said, bigger ones have separate small freezer sections. They are pricey though.

I have used both fridge door style and top loaders and whilst the top loader/chest style is more efficient, the conventional fridge door way wins for me if the layout allows it. The convenience factor cannot be over looked. (but having said that, for a FREEZER, the chest works very well).

We bought a Dometic CK40D last year as we needed a freezer box while travelling for 2 weeks without hookup. It performed perfectly at -20Ā°C using our inverter. Now itā€™s summer we use it at 0Ā°C for beer and wine on short trips. Fully recommended by use
Dometic CK40D

Apart from cool drinks and milk for tea and coffee i just pop in to shops at a garage and buy fresh.

Hi

Hi mark
Thank you, I'd be happy with a chest type, but the boss (who paid for the van) says it needs to look like a fridge and doesn't want to have to go sorting through it every time she wants something, as it will always be at the bottom šŸ˜. Any way, that'll give me something to go on, any idea what size solar panel we'll need eventually to run this and probably a diesel heater much later on in the conversion?
Thanks again.
Colin. šŸ™‚
Yes, I'd never say the top loaders are more convenient than front doors, even when packed well.
Of the front door fridges I've had a Waeco (CR80 I think it might have been) and in another van a Webasto. Both worked well, couldn't choose one over the other.
Might try the draw type on next van. šŸ˜‚

Jacsons at ellsmirport . But gas for you I think , well untill electric update solar and battery just for fridge .
I've just got 12 v 70ltr from them and showrooms open .

Thanks all, sorry for the late reply was cooking toad in the hole, with carrots and onion gravy in the RidgemonkeyšŸ˜‹. Well that's certainly given me some ideas.

trevskoda, I didn't know that about just running the engine on idle šŸ˜² hope I haven't done any damage already. So looks like we would probably be alright wildcamping as we would only be in one spot for a night at a time then move on which would charge the battery/s but would be no good on a campsite for a few nights unless we had ehu or drove off site for several miles every couple of days. šŸ¤”

far be it for me to post my own video. Iā€™m now three seasons into using this setup. With only 200w panel we ran this fridge Tuesday to Monday at campervan show Stratford. Never ran the engine.
200w solar 240ah agm.
when we left batteries were at 78%
we also did a follow up vid in Italy at plus 30degrees. you Could buy a fridge, solar and extra battery cheaper than cost of motorhome fridge.
regards
k

far be it for me to post my own video. Iā€™m now three seasons into using this setup. With only 200w panel we ran this fridge Tuesday to Monday at campervan show Stratford. Never ran the engine.
200w solar 240ah agm.
we also did a follow up vid in Italy at plus 30degrees. you Could buy a fridge, solar and extra battery cheaper than cost of motorhome fridge.
regards
k
This is old hat, I've been doing this for over ten years now. A few others on here have been doing so too.

I know itā€™s not cutting edge. I posted as a option to be considered. Show me a link to your video cos Iā€™d love to see your take on it.
thanks

I know itā€™s not cutting edge. I posted as a option to be considered. Show me a link to your video cos Iā€™d love to see your take on it.
thanks
Watched the first minute or so and then bookmarked for later viewing as going out shortly and don't want to rush the viewing , but I am liking the presentation style (y)

I am convinced that Electric Compressor Fridges are the way to go without a doubt.
I have a 3-Way in my Motorhome and it has been on for nearly 24 hours now with a constant draw of 200+W - that is coming upto 5kW in a day! terribly inefficient compared to Compressor Fridges and why I only switch it on when I know I am going out in the van. Once it is down to temp it does go on and off - around 50% duty cycle - but takes an age to get down to temp though.

In the Campervan I had a 240V Domestic Compressor Fridge - it would have cost to buy (or replace if that comes up) around 1/10th the price of the regular price of the 3-way. It drew an average of 50W when running, and it was only running around 1/4 or so of the time once down to temperature (that only took a few hours and only drew 50Wh/Hour when it was doing so.

The Compressor fridge used so little power I just left it on all the time so it would be always ready - over 2 years switched on 24/7 until lockdown last year when it seemed pointless to leave it on.

Given the cost of 12V vs 240V fridges, for a Conversion where you choose the precise layout you want, 240V is (IMO) totally the way to go. Yes, extra cost of Inverter is there, but that can be used for other purposes as well and the cost even with that is still a lot less than a 12V option of the same efficiency.

If I need/decide to change the 3-way in the Motorhome, it will be for a Compressor Fridge, and quite probably for a 12V one despite the extra cost because Motorhome fridges are weird sizes and I would want to suit the hole left, but in a conversion, go domestic :)

200w solar 240ah agm.
regards
k
Thank you caster!
This looks exactly what we need, and will go for. So just to recap, we will need another leisure battery, 1000w inverter, low energy rating domestic fridge, and eventually a solar panel to keep it topped up in the summer.....and an auto electrician to wire it up!

Just another thing I thought of, would you still be able to use the fridge on a campsite using ehu, so effectively you had on and off grid usage?
Thanks
Colin šŸ™‚šŸ‘

im not worthy of adoration, have you seen my mug.
why didnā€™t you use your time here to suggest your ā€old hatā€ knowledge to help the original poster. Thatā€™s my only motive, to offer a possible option.
taking your ā€œold hatā€comments in a positive way, I will see it as an endorsement that my suggestion has value. Have a good day, no hard feeling, lifeā€™s too short.
if in future I try to help answer a question, please direct your efforts to adding to that help rather than having a swipe at me or anyone else.

Watched the first minute or so and then bookmarked for later viewing as going out shortly and don't want to rush the viewing , but I am liking the presentation style (y)

I am convinced that Electric Compressor Fridges are the way to go without a doubt.
I have a 3-Way in my Motorhome and it has been on for nearly 24 hours now with a constant draw of 200+W - that is coming upto 5kW in a day! terribly inefficient compared to Compressor Fridges and why I only switch it on when I know I am going out in the van. Once it is down to temp it does go on and off - around 50% duty cycle - but takes an age to get down to temp though.

In the Campervan I had a 240V Domestic Compressor Fridge - it would have cost to buy (or replace if that comes up) around 1/10th the price of the regular price of the 3-way. It drew an average of 50W when running, and it was only running around 1/4 or so of the time once down to temperature (that only took a few hours and only drew 50Wh/Hour when it was doing so.

The Compressor fridge used so little power I just left it on all the time so it would be always ready - over 2 years switched on 24/7 until lockdown last year when it seemed pointless to leave it on.

Given the cost of 12V vs 240V fridges, for a Conversion where you choose the precise layout you want, 240V is (IMO) totally the way to go. Yes, extra cost of Inverter is there, but that can be used for other purposes as well and the cost even with that is still a lot less than a 12V option of the same efficiency.

If I need/decide to change the 3-way in the Motorhome, it will be for a Compressor Fridge, and quite probably for a 12V one despite the extra cost because Motorhome fridges are weird sizes and I would want to suit the hole left, but in a conversion, go domestic :)
i run it on a Ā£30 cheapo inverter. To be honest I didnā€™t expect it to last but touch wood itā€™s still going. Draws just above 6 amps once compressor is running.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back