Yorkshire 600

Its a great idea but Im going to nitpick again as I have nothing better to do. 😬

All those places at the top of the map are in County Durham. Some of them about about 25 miles into Durham and Teesdale. Its confusing though as where I live is south of the Tees and historically would be part of the North Riding of Yorkshire. The actual official county line however is now well south of the Tees in many places so Durham and Teesdale has slowly crept into and taken over parts of North Yorkshire over the years. Despite me having a Richmond North Yorkshire address the Yorkshire border is at the bottom end (south) of our village so we and all those places north of us are officially in Durham County in Teesdale. Its caused a lot of controversy over the years with signs being moved or mischievously "Altered".

Having said that Teesdale is absolutely stunning so dont miss it out if you do the trip. :)

Barry all this was explains in the write up if you could be bothered to read it admitted it never mentioned you hous which I suppose is a big mistake…. I am more miffed as South Yorkshire not mentioned the Ridings disappeared in 1974 so I guess whoever thought it up was using a 1960’s map which would explain your comments….. update on van today yet another part required…..Alf

Last edited:
So your house is a tourist attraction then Barry. Good to know. I trust you have a gift shop and do guided tours. ;)

Davy

Dont come here! We eat tourists. Especially those Shandy Drinking Suvverners.

There are some good shops in Richmond to be fair and Northallerton but you run the risk of bumping into Rishi Sunak doing his shopping.

The village shops are weird.

There are some good shops in Richmond to be fair and Northallerton but you run the risk of bumping into Rishi Sunak doing his shopping.

Barry we once went on their site in the Highlands only us there at 4pm and they locked the gate when we drove in very lucky to escape I’ll tell you…..Alf

Hey gang,
I’m actually in Harrogate at the minute heading North, I’ve just spent 3 months looking for The Yorkshire Tea Plantations to No avail.
I’ve seen Big Wild Cats & UFOs in the Beautiful Dark skies, Had a Cream Tea with Bigfoot at Betty’s Tea rooms, Old Mother Shipton witchey cave, Licked Riplys WORLD FAMOUS Ice-cream, but NO Tea Plantations for the ‘Yorkshire Tea’ 🤷🏻‍♂️
So maybe it’s on the Map 🤔.

Hey gang,
I’m actually in Harrogate at the minute heading North, I’ve just spent 3 months looking for The Yorkshire Tea Plantations to No avail.
I’ve seen Big Wild Cats & UFOs in the Beautiful Dark skies, Had a Cream Tea with Bigfoot at Betty’s Tea rooms, Old Mother Shipton witchey cave, Licked Riplys WORLD FAMOUS Ice-cream, but NO Tea Plantations for the ‘Yorkshire Tea’ 🤷🏻‍♂️

What those posh Tea shops in Harrogate will tell you is that whilst its made in India and Africa its what they do with it when it gets to Harrogate that counts. I believe they have several Nora Batty types crushing the leaves in a big vat and blending them with their wrinkled stockinged feet.

Heading north you say? Do I need to alert the village security towers?

Now, you pinched that from Derbyshire, Norton Vasey or whatever they call it was set in Hadfield

Hey gang,
Yes by the look of it you went past twice….Alf

Now, you pinched that from Derbyshire, Norton Vasey or whatever they call it was set in Hadfield

LOL! I never watched it to be honest. Yorkshire folk are even more odd than Derbyshire folk though. Especially those woolly back areas in the upper Dales.

LOL! I never watched it to be honest. Yorkshire folk are even more odd than Derbyshire folk though. Especially those woolly back areas in the upper Dales.
Well I was Derbyshire for over forty years and now Yorkshire and I am definitely odd 😂😂😂

Edit: we used to call my sister a woolly back because she was born in Leicestershire. Some old lore from my grandad though hahah

Hey gang,
I thought the tea plantations were between the liquorice and rhubarb triangles.

Well I was Derbyshire for over forty years and now Yorkshire and I am definitely odd 😂😂😂

Edit: we used to call my sister a woolly back because she was born in Leicestershire. Some old lore from my grandlyad though hahah

To be fair, most people on this forum are a bit odd. :cool: Why do you think I like it so much? :p

That phrase always reminds me of us as youngsters getting chucked out of a pub in Reeth on a Sunday afternoon. They called last orders bang on 2pm and one of my mates took objection saying something along the lines of "We thought these woolly back places would stay open all day long". We weren't even allowed to finish our pints. :(

To be fair, most people on this forum are a bit odd. :cool: Why do you think I like it so much? :p

That phrase always reminds me of us as youngsters getting chucked out of a pub in Reeth on a Sunday afternoon. They called last orders bang on 2pm and one of my mates took objection saying something along the lines of "We thought these woolly back places would stay open all day long". We weren't even allowed to finish our pints. :(
You should have pretended you weren't with him

In the late 80s early 90s they mucked about with the Yorkshire boundary lines that it’s hard to be exact as to where the true boundaries are so would be best to call it the NE600 at the end of the day they are just roads to tourist hot spots.
Yorkshire was reduced in size during those boundary changes. As stated some of northern area was pinched by Durham. North west bit taken over by Cumbria. The Saddleworth area was Yorkshire until greater Manchester or whatever it's called nicked it. But we are still the biggest and best County.

Yorkshire was reduced in size during those boundary changes. As stated some of northern area was pinched by Durham. North west bit taken over by Cumbria. The Saddleworth area was Yorkshire until greater Manchester or whatever it's called nicked it. But we are still the biggest and best County.
Well I think they should bloody well give it back. 😆

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back