Yellowing shower tray

Alshymer

Hi
The shower tray in my 3 yr old Rapido is starting to yellow. I know that plastics can yellow but I am surprised at this happening within 3 years.
Had anyone successfully managed to remove the yellowing?
If so, I would be interested to know how.
Thanks in advance.
Alshymer

Baking powder and water maybe.

But again, as Chris said try a small area first to make sure it isn't too abrasive. Failing that, I would try bleach and water.

I think the main thing which damages the plastic is sunlight. Make sure everything is closed when the motorhome is in storage and completely dark inside. Generally, the UV light penetrates the plastic so polishing the top layer off won't help. You can see the effect quite clearly in some motorhomes where a shower door or similar has shaded part of the tray leaving a virgin white patch where the sunlight couldn't get to. The only way to bring the white back is to rub it down and paint it with solid 2k for a hard finish or Upol Raptor for a soft rubber finish.

Protect your interior and tyres from sunlight

In my last MoHo I had to repair a cracked and discoloured shower tray. The cracks were sorted by laminating the whole tray with fibreglass. Not necessary in your case obviously but I then finished with this:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tubby-Ba...084462?hash=item216519676e:g:iUgAAOSwnm1emiZq.
Messy and smelly stuff but did the job. Also, have a look at this:-
but ignore the fibreglass bit.

We were told that it was sunlight that was causing it in the Laika shower. So I pointed to the bits round the screw holes near the ceiling. Must be something in the plastic as I took the screws out and they were not rusty. Its just like a yellowy brown discolouration.The Laika also had a new sink after 3 years as the area round the tap has tiny cracks in it. It was replaced under warranty but they started appearing again after six months and they would not replace it again.

One cure would be to have it sprayed. There are companies that do it and they give you a guarantee.

With some of the others here dont think you have a hope in hell to restore cutting compounds will only cut away some of the protection - only realistic option is to get it painted with something durable and keep it covered afterwards

Video using a hydrogen peroxide paste and curing using UV lamps, seems like a big improvement.

It goes right through, i have tries g6 auto polish which takes the top layer of and white plastic is still yellow, was going to say use the loo first but then again. :eek: 😂😂😂
not when you get it on your hands, so the story gose,you need hands to show the shop youve washed them. try macs bygraves, ok pj. oh heck sticky fingers.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back