Xmas Din Dins

spigot

UQOB4593.JPG

Had my first mince pie tonight might open one of the hundred boxes of quality street I’ve found stashed. Hate turkey worst meat in world only tastes of whatever gravy and other garb you put on it tell me if it was any good you’d eat it all year but I bet most folk only eat at Christmas its terrible a nice bit of beef rib on the bone or a nice fat goose. One year I had two hotdogs a beer and some popcorn for desert for Christmas dinner at Disneyland

Had my first mince pie tonight might open one of the hundred boxes of quality street I’ve found stashed. Hate turkey worst meat in world only tastes of whatever gravy and other garb you put on it tell me if it was any good you’d eat it all year but I bet most folk only eat at Christmas its terrible a nice bit of beef rib on the bone or a nice fat goose. One year I had two hotdogs a beer and some popcorn for desert for Christmas dinner at Disneyland

I've had a few Mince pies in the last week or so Wully, I'd eat them all year round.

Agree about Turkey, we usually have Pork and Chicken or a nice fat Goose. Even if we don't have Pork we usually get a nice slab of crackling from the butcher. Wouldn't be Christmas without it.

We just go to Donegal and buy a xmas dinner, not always turkey, at home we just have nibbles/side plate food as thats all the kids want.
Im not really into xmas that much, but would rather take a day or two out of in the van to be honest.

not bothered about the meat as long as i have the veg. sprouts (lots of them) with apple sauce. turnip and carrot mash together. roast and mash potatoes
a bit of home made stuffing cauliflower cheese. like the odd pigs in blankets.....and of course beautiful tasty gravy. sometimes have yorkshire pud with it all.

however to be quite honest....i cant see the point of all that preparation . all the time someone has to spend in the kitchen cooking it. then all the clearing up after it..........not to mention all the shopping. fortunately my daughter loves doing it all.

oncce spent christmas day at Filey with hot flask of soup. stew. car decorated with baubles and trimmings etc. oranges and sweets etc. parked on the cobble landing and was surprised at how many other cars were there. i thought it would be deserted......we had a wonderful day.

We are having the whole family round....as usual! Set a tradition in early years of our marriage and it's become a tradition. Get fed up with it a bit when we are away on the actual day ....have had 14 for dinner the day before we left for Thailand at 6am to be there for Christmas day! Last year, and this year however, our son is helping out by doing a goose and some of the veg, while I do a slow cooked gammon. Did turkey till pretty recently when I went on strike and said if I was cooking, it wasn't going to be turkey every year! Loads of veg and Yorkshire too.
Made three Christmas cakes today...very late, I know. But they don't usually get eaten till New Year and one at Easter, so they will be fine!

Julie always makes 2 huge trays of forcemeat/sage and onion stuffing which everybody loves. We have all the family round, (most of them live with us anyway!) and there has to be tons of food as well as enough for Boxing day. Everybody really looks forward to Christmas dinner.

Obviously the menfolk go to the pub whilst the wimmin prepare it. :)

I asked any of our kids if they wanted us for Xmas (they and their kids were all with us last year) and met with a resounding no (”we’re off to the in-laws this year”) so much to my delight we’re off in the van for a week or so. Dumfries and Galloway is on the agenda with several meals already booked.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back