Winter Tyres

Alshymer

Hi
The new Cont Vanco camper have snow and other symbols on them.
Do these conform to the winter tyre rules in France or do I still need chains?
Thanks
Alshymer

Hi
Thanks
Alshymer
I think the 3 peaks symbol is the one .
Will be enforced 2023

3 Peaks.jpg

I saw these last night even with winter tyres you could still be required to use chains

Hi
Thanks
Alshymer
I use Falken Wildpeak on my Sprinter it has the 3 peaks symbol.

Vehicles without snow chains were being ordered to turn around when we were in the Alps, even if they had snow tyres they were not allowed to proceed, I have crossclimate tyres (they have the 3 peak symbol) and I carry snow chains for peace of mind, never had to use them though

Hi
Thanks
Alshymer
Hi, on the subject of camper spec tyres, i've had micheline on the front of my ducato mwb for a while, they grip far better than the van's original tyres in the wet, but they wear out very quickly. I need
to replace them soon, but it won't be micheline. Have'nt looked at anything yet though. M&S & three peaks is a must i think if say going down to spain in winter.
Our original equipment van tyres were scary in the mountains even with at least 6mm of tread. I think they are just made for mega mileage white van man.

I know that ‘snow chains or winter tyres’ are compulsory in listed mountainous regions of France during snowy conditions between November 1st and March 31st with a speed restriction of 50 kph.

However a couple of weeks ago (obviously still summer) we saw road signs stating that snow chains must be worn during snowy conditions. Therefore regardless of whether or not you have winter tyres, you must wear chains during snowy conditions wherever these signs dictate?

Of course I may have completely misinterpreted the signage?

Our original equipment van tyres were scary in the mountains even with at least 6mm of tread. I think they are just made for mega mileage white van man.
My original tyres were Michelin Campingcar tyres, we bought the van new in 2002 and 12yrs later they still had lots of tread left and no cracks anywhere, I sold them to a member on here because their 2002 Hymer with the same tyres were full of cracks, those tyres were scary on the flat with a light dusting of snow, no grip on wet grass either

My original tyres were Michelin Campingcar tyres, we bought the van new in 2002 and 12yrs later they still had lots of tread left and no cracks anywhere, I sold them to a member on here because their 2002 Hymer with the same tyres were full of cracks, those tyres were scary on the flat with a light dusting of snow, no grip on wet grass either
12 years !
What was your mileage ?

12 years !
What was your mileage ?

Just under 49,000 miles, still only half worn, the spare had never been used and I only sold them for £50 (IIRC) and I delivered them to Hertfordshire from Derbyshire, mainly because I was going there to my MIL's and driving past their house (y)
mot check.jpg

Just under 49,000 miles, still only half worn, the spare had never been used and I only sold them for £50 (IIRC) and I delivered them to Hertfordshire from Derbyshire, mainly because I was going there to my MIL's and driving past their house (y)
View attachment 112524
Front tyres on current van and previous had to be changed at 30k miles

The front tyres were not worn more than the rear, the tyres that I replaced them with were full winter tyres that still had tread after six years but the sidewalls had splits forming so I fitted Michelin Crossclimate in 2018, still going well on them although I have not used them much in the last two years, the van is a 2002 Hymer 584 Classic, 2.8JTD, 3.4T and 6.0M long so not heavy on front tyres
IMG_20180521_110826.jpg

Although I run my Renault Master LWB on Khumo PorTran KC53 (225/65 R16) winter tyres and their grip in all weathers has been very good, I have noticed a marked increase in fuel consumption!
So as the time for change is coming up quite soon, I am tempted to buy some Continental Van Contact ECO which has the lowest/best fuel consumption symbol as well as rain grip both of which are 'A' rated.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back