Will This Affect Us

It depends how they define reside. It generally means to live in a place permanently or for an extended period.
Unless you are living for an extended period on someone else’s land, then you will be ok.

End of the day, the law already has the power to break up illegal encampments, but does not use it. Let's be frank, in the majority of cases the problem is Irish travellers. They are the cause of much of the antisocial behaviour, illegal tipping, & localised crime that goes with illegal encampments. While ever the law darent go in & sort the issue, & there are people saying "its not the gypsies, you shouldn't generalise" the issue will not go away. We all know that motorhomes generally respect their surroundings much more than "travellers" do, this isn't about us vs them. Its about making an example of ANYONE who is responsible for any antisocial behaviour, regardless of ethnicity or background. The law doesn't need any more powers for that, just some backbone....

I think it will effect us. I said that from the off when it was debated on here a while back. Its designed for undesirables I suppose but to many in England at least just one motorhome wild camping is an undesirable to many councils and some of the public. It wont take them long to latch onto these new powers to turn it on us I reckon.

Unfortunately it will be down to police interpretation and tbh they haven't covered themselves in glory as far the covid guidelines are concerned. :(

You can imagine how it will go. You are parked up minding your own business in some rural hideaway and the local permanently angry at everything chairman of the Parish council spots you, has a word with his pal who is a sergeant at the local nick and the next thing you know is one of his young constables is knocking on your door and giving you a fixed penalty fine and ten minutes to clear off.

Section 4 of the 1824 Vagrancy Act
The Act stipulates that ‘every person wandering abroad and lodging in any barn or outhouse, or in any deserted or unoccupied building, or in the open air, or under a tent, or in any cart or wagon … shall be deemed a rogue and vagabond’ and later, in provision five: ‘an incorrigible rogue’.

Section 4 of the 1824 Vagrancy Act
The Act stipulates that ‘every person wandering abroad and lodging in any barn or outhouse, or in any deserted or unoccupied building, or in the open air, or under a tent, or in any cart or wagon … shall be deemed a rogue and vagabond’ and later, in provision five: ‘an incorrigible rogue’.
No longer the case. The Vagrancy Act 1935 amends that so that,
The reference in the said enactment to a person lodging under a tent or in a cart or waggon shall not be deemed to include a person lodging under a tent or in a cart or waggon with or in which he travels
Hence a motorhomer sleeping in their van cannot fall foul of the Vagrancy Act!

You can imagine how it will go. You are parked up minding your own business in some rural hideaway and the local permanently angry at everything chairman of the Parish council spots you, has a word with his pal who is a sergeant at the local nick and the next thing you know is one of his young constables is knocking on your door and giving you a fixed penalty fine and ten minutes to clear off.
This is exactly how I think it will work I can even see the young copper doing it on his own initiative

AFAICT it won't work like that since no offence would be committed if you moved when directed to do so by the landowner or the police. There is a Government briefing paper at https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-9164/CBP-9164.pdf which includes that an offence would only be committed if, "they fail “as soon as reasonably practicable” to move when directed to by the owner, someone representing them or the police." and I suspect that "as soon as reasonably practicable" will at least give you enough time to become suitably attired and secure the vehicle to travel safely. Also, I could find no provision for fixed penalty fines in the proposed legislation.

AFAICT it won't work like that since no offence would be committed if you moved when directed to do so by the landowner or the police. There is a Government briefing paper at https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-9164/CBP-9164.pdf which includes that an offence would only be committed if, "they fail “as soon as reasonably practicable” to move when directed to by the owner, someone representing them or the police." and I suspect that "as soon as reasonably practicable" will at least give you enough time to become suitably attired and secure the vehicle to travel safely. Also, I could find no provision for fixed penalty fines in the proposed legislation.

I hope you are right but is it not more likely that now its a criminal offence and a police matter they are much more likely to take an interest or action if prompted by a busy body NIMBY? Presumably if you tell them to get lost then you are in trouble whereas right now there isnt much they can do. Not that I would tell a copper to get lost of course.

I hope you are right but is it not more likely that now its a criminal offence and a police matter they are much more likely to take an interest or action if prompted by a busy body NIMBY? Presumably if you tell them to get lost then you are in trouble whereas right now there isnt much they can do. Not that I would tell a copper to get lost of course.

Aw, g'wan g'wan g'wan ... 😁 😉

I'll pay good money to watch! 😜🤣😆😂

The trick is to not answer the door at night, if they can't see you, there is no offense committed!

The trick is to not answer the door at night, if they can't see you, there is no offense committed!
The way I've had my door banged seemed like they where breaking in and if I didn't answer they'd have been coming in anyway

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back