Wildcamping How To Guide 2012

If you have a safe in your van, don't be complacent, use it.

Some interesting points having a read through these 26 pages.

My 2 penneth,
If you fear being robbed take a spare wallet/handbag and have it to hand with your normal ones out of the way.
Make sure they are filled with the normal stuff in them but make sure all the stuff is out of date, with a bit of change (old foreign coins are good for this) and a couple of fivers so if robbed they think they have won and won't come back.
Move on straight away and tell the police

Wow...just reached the end of this thread! Pŕoper eye opener reading this. Gratefull for all the different advice/experiences and ideas though.
Not been a member long but glad i joined. Wild camping is what we want to do and there are members on here that have been here and there and done it all aswell as being able to advise you on it aswell.
Always a good read, cheers everyone :cheers:

Follow that person !

This advice is more suited to wilding abroad where there are often large groups of motorhomers together.
If you keep your eye out for long enough, you’ll see someone setting off with an empty water container. Follow them ! They’ll invariably end up at some water tap.
Also, when dusk falls keep an eye open for the Frenchies, you’ll see them sneaking out to dump their black waste down a sewer , manhole cover in a nearby street !

1199B482-7C4D-481E-B35C-2FB984623701.jpg

drat newbe getting concerned

This is great for a newbie ;)

i wild camped some yrs ago all over Wales and parts oF England, but not Scotland. This yr we are restarting our Wild adventures. But all this gun lark is not funny.
Are you saying guys that the old day's were safer ?.

Access to the POI map with its link to street view and access to comments on the forum is better than just relying on the POI download for sat nav. That way you can plan your journey on the hoof. I like cruising about and trying different sites as they appear on the sat nav, near the time where I feel like parking up but it gives piece of mind to have an alternative place in mind where I have a fair degree of certainty about its suitability. Dont forget you can always get up early if the site you choose isnt perfect and move on for a nap later

Use bio toilet and washing products that will not harm rural toilets that need bacteria to break down waste and that way if you have to discretely empty a cassette in a public WC, you dont cause any harm. Similarly if you have to discretely empty the grey tank it wont damage the environment. A lot of people use bio washing capsules from Lidle or Aldi in the WC, I also use Oxfams bio washing liquid, soap and toilet cleaner.

Wild camping how to guide

I carry a small axe a folding saw some wood carving knives i will sit in quiet places and carve wooden spoons, forks , butter knives , spatulas and mugs .
This is a pleasant pass time nice to make and use and give as gifts ,also gives a valid reason for very sharp knives and an axe. I can usual find a bit of fresh wood to carve sat in the shade for a few hours .
look on facebook for , Spoon carving,green woodworking and sloyd knives.
rgds.disco duck

I carry a small axe a folding saw some wood carving knives i will sit in quiet places and carve wooden spoons, forks , butter knives , spatulas and mugs .
This is a pleasant pass time nice to make and use and give as gifts ,also gives a valid reason for very sharp knives and an axe. I can usual find a bit of fresh wood to carve sat in the shade for a few hours .
look on facebook for , Spoon carving,green woodworking and sloyd knives.
rgds.disco duck

Doesn't sound the least bit scary... :lol-049:

Pride not prejudice

The fun of wild camping is taking responsibility for yourself and making your own decisions about where you stop regarding safety and convenience.

The responsibility of wild camping is to imagine how you would feel if someone parked up outside your property and then behaved as if it were a camp site.

Soo..... It comes down to personal standards and awareness of others.

Do not block field entrances regardless of time of year even if you think it unlikely a farmer will need access.

Jeez, if you are on this site cos you are thinking about getting out and about please ignore all the weapons chat, utter tosh, unsure why it even came up. In the very very unlikely scenario that you feel that threatened drive off and if you can't get into your cab phone the police. I am unsure why but most of the references to violence came from people that were not full members, my advice to add to this thread is heed the advice from full members and more so if they have thousands of posts as for the most part they will have been there and done it

Last edited:
Jeez, if you are on this site cos you are thinking about getting out and about please ignore all the weapons chat, utter tosh, unsure why it even came up. In the very very unlikely scenario that you feel that threatened drive off and if you can't get into your cab phone the police. I am unsure why but most of the references to violence came from people that were not full members, my advice to add to this thread is heed the advice from full members and more so if they have thousands of posts as for the most part they will have been there and done it
In the archives here, I once attracted an armed response vehicle chaps with guns having shot a pigeon for my tea a memorable day for everyone ...it turned out the reason they were so excited is I was close to an airport,,,once they realised I was not part of al quesadilla or the Yorkshire liberation front we had a good chat even got the kettle on ....the only loaded question your moving on in the morning....oh yes says I whole idea of my camper don’t worry I won’t be on your patch ....book that experience in a travel agents ...h

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back