Wildcamping How To Guide 2012

Me and the dogs

im new here and just read all your safety suggestions. wild camping sounds very exciting. im a woman who likes to travel alone with my dog so altho im a bit of an adrenalin junkie, i do also have to be aware of safety for myself, my dog and my van. is there a list on here of tried and tested sites for parking up overnight? i suppose your going to tell me now i have to pay for this... and if this is the case, how much? but thanks for all taking the time to list these things as some i had never thought of. :wave:

I am also female who enjoys camping with myself and the dogs. When I first started wild camping I went to areas that I knew close by to where I lived. I also stayed a couple of nights at a layby close to the Irish Ferry Port in Ayrshire. Just off the main road, larger than normal as the trucks park there overnight but there is a lovely grassy area that is used by motor phones and camper vans right on the shore area. From previous camping experiences in North America I learned that truckers are in general very friendly (in a nice way) and that if an emergency happened I would have assistance, also keeps the young car riders away. This particular spot has a fantastic little eating cafe at the end of the area, open in the morning till two in the afternoon. I always make sure that I have enough dried or canned food, bottled water etc.. at all times with me to last a couple of days. There are more single female campers on the road than there used to be, so trust your intuition, have fun and enjoy the freedom of the open road

The report in the paper does not mention the length of the blade on the knife, or what statute and section Knowles was charged under, but it does state categorically that he '...admitted possessing an offensive weapon at Torquay Magistrates Court' (my underlining), so it seems that he actually pleaded guilty.

His brief also said, '[Knowles] used the knife to cut up fruit on picnics with his wife [for whom he is a carer]', as if this was some sort of mitigation, and it appears that the magistrates accepted it as such because of the leniency of their sentence. However, had Knowles pleaded not guilty to the charge, this could have been offered as grounds for acquittal as he could maintain that he had 'lawful authority or reasonable excuse' for having the knife in his vehicle and it would have been up to the prosecution to rebut that by providing evidence to the contrary from the arresting officers (hard to do under the circumstances, I would have thought).

Frankly, I think Knowles was badly advised if his brief allowed him to plead guilty. On the other hand, if he had pleaded not guilty and the case went against him (as indeed it did), I think that he has solid grounds for appeal and that it would be successful given a half-decent brief.

In conclusion, this case should not be treated as a precedent (in fact, cases in the Magistrates' Courts never are).

I support of the above. Remember ANY plead of guilty WILL end up with you convicted of a crime. DO NOT SUBMIT to a lawyer who says plead guilty, as it will get a lower sentence. They are just being lazy and getting the easy job, although they then plead mitigation. If you are innocent PLEAD NOT GUILTY ,and not take bad advice.

I am still in the process of building my own camper and I have been reading lots of stuff on the net about people being threatened or broken into and other nasty confrontations.

Don't keep anything sharp or heavy lying around especially at night, I am going to keep such items by my bed and at arms length along with some "Farb Gel Spray Criminal Identifier"

If any trouble appears will try to make a sharp exit - if you cant you may need to protect yourself.

Or am I being paranoid........??

I have two Farb Red Spray containers one I carry in strange places and the other is by the van door. It does a wonderful job of disabling someone with evil intent and also take three to four days to get off the skin and clothes Bright BLOOD red foaming agent. They will not get out of it denying it was them, when the police pick them up. I will get two more I think and suggest everyone on here gets the same. Non injurious foaming gel, so not weapon, but in the face would stop a lot of people carrying on an attack. Look on the net and see a demonstration of it. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED .

Because it goes for miles and miles and there is no turning back until you get to the ' parking area for minis,' and then have to come right back again to a road you can drive without fear of meeting a pushbike on. Took seven shunts to turn around and get back through the gate, I ve just looked on thePOIs and now see that about a hundred yards further on there is a parking spot with enough room to get a van around. pity I didn't know that then I used the actual parking area and knew not what lay a bit further.

Last edited:
There's a reason why that car park isn't in the POIs ... there's a layby nearby on the lane.

I have driven that lane in my 'van and didn't find it a problem.

There's a reason why that car park isn't in the POIs ... there's a layby nearby on the lane.

I have driven that lane in my 'van and didn't find it a problem.
I know now ,and that is probably the reason WHY it isn't on the list, at the time I did not have any POIs on the tom tom If only!!!!!!!!! but I was frightened to go further just in case it stopped dead end . I then have to back several miles without a camera.

Dont use a generator if anyone else, including the natives have even the slightest chance of hearing it!:scared:7y

When planning your stop overs on the POI map, make note of any close by incase you need to change POI.

I carry a fishing priest just in case I need to bop a fish on the bonce that has the nerve to try and take my tackle :) Nothing offensive about a priest after all (well actually I read a story once Lol):hammer::sleep-027:

Don't park blocking a view a local has paid lot of money for, it will only pi55 them off.

When parking in an exposed position for instance, right next to the lighthouse at Ardnamurchan Point in Knoydart, West Scotland facing out onto an idyllic sunset over the North Atlantic beware, check the Met.Office web site on your laptop/iPad/Smartphone for any 'Gale Warnings' in the vicinity, before you go to bed. Having to reverse onto a narrow track at 04:15 am on a dark wind-swept night when the rain is coming down in stair-rods and not remembering what was behind when you parked, is no laughing matter believe me, be warned! :sad:
I think we were parked next to you that night!!!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back