Wildcamping How To Guide 2012

Leave it Cleaner.

Don't just look after your own rubbish, try to clear up any that was there when you arrived (within reason).

gerry can

Keep spare diesel/petrol in a 20ltr can as you never know when you might get to a service station next.

Don't wild in front of Blackpool guest houses, they get really peeved off....apparently! :lol-053:

Have a couple of old-fashioned wire coat hangers and some strong pliers in case your exhaust or any other bits come loose

Don't just carry a first aid kit - learn how to use it and make sure everyone else with you does the same.
Learn CPR and how to stop bleeding, learn how to immobilise and broken bone.
These skills might one day save the life of you or one of your family.

Don't just carry a first aid kit - learn how to use it and make sure everyone else with you does the same.
Learn CPR and how to stop bleeding, learn how to immobilise and broken bone.
These skills might one day save the life of you or one of your family.

Superglue, great for the van and will save a life. I'd say most injuries we will see that cannot wait for an ambulance will be the same as those seen on a battlefield, therefore I carry a medic's kit on the bike not a pack of plasters!

A good point made I'll add one to the van when I finish building it....

Get 12v charges for everything you can

Use google to search rather than rely on shop advice, phones etc. you can get charges for just about everything

When you next change your leisure batteries buy a good brand

Contrary to popular belief you CAN jump start your motorhome using the leisure batteries, just make sure your GOOD QUALITY jump leads are long enough to reach both batteries to save you humping batteries about

Buy a BIG dog bowl especially if you haven't got a dog

Leave it outside at night, scumbags aren't bothered about alarms or human confrontation but if they think there's a big dog inside you might find they will tip toe away

Best £1.99 I've ever spent.

(If you can find a plastic realistic looking half a human arm and leave it next to the bowl even the police won't bother you)
But seriously get the bowl

Prefer more off-beat spaces

We generally feel safer being away from the main A roads and do not often park in large towns or cities. If we do we try to keep away from the immediate town centre and any possible routes back from pubs/clubs. We have often stayed where lorries overnight but bear in mind some have freezer units going on and off and may wake you up with early morning departures. We have also stayed on industrial estates as they are often the quietist at night.

Check the wheel nuts on your tyres every few weeks or after extended touring. We lost one of our wheels because of this not so long ago and could have been very nasty!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back