Wildcamping How To Guide 2012

I bought it before there were such thing as you describe and it is stll a good torch and is still used as such.
The point that @r4dent and I are making is that it is an offence to have in your possession anything that you intend, before the fact, to use as a weapon. So, for example, it is perfectly lawful to have a kitchen knife that you intend to use solely for culinary purposes in your motorhome kitchen. However, it is not lawful to have a heavy torch kept 'conveniently close' to your bed if you intend using that torch as a weapon -- even if solely in self-defence. The burden is on the prosecution to prove that intent -- and that would normally be difficult. However, if they search your social media footprint, you've just handed them proof on a platter.

We buy small shopping bags (£4 PER 100) and look out for somewhere to get rid of them when half full, garages are the best places here in ROI.

What if you don’t have space for the bin or can’t get it into the van?
FWIW, we recently found out about collapsible bin-bag stands (see piccy), which are available from Amazon, eBay, some camping shops and other stores. Costs less than a tenner, adjusts for height, and collapses down to about the size of a laptop. We put up ours between the front seats when parked up. If we're somewhere without waste disposal, we put the rubbish into small bags (e.g. doggy poo bags), which then go into the large bin liner and are then convenient to dispose of in motorway services etc.

1695197159909.png

For our waste we keep a plastic box on our shower tray for all recy bottles, cans, jars, plastics and take them home if we cannot find recycling bins and our food waste goes in a small table top caddy the tiny amount we produce when travelling is very easy to deal with.

The point that @r4dent and I are making is that it is an offence to have in your possession anything that you intend, before the fact, to use as a weapon. So, for example, it is perfectly lawful to have a kitchen knife that you intend to use solely for culinary purposes in your motorhome kitchen. However, it is not lawful to have a heavy torch kept 'conveniently close' to your bed if you intend using that torch as a weapon -- even if solely in self-defence. The burden is on the prosecution to prove that intent -- and that would normally be difficult. However, if they search your social media footprint, you've just handed them proof on a platter.

Felling suitably chastened I remembered last time I was made to feel that way by replies on this forum when a bit of research removed that chastened feeling, so I decided to do just that. Some of my findings are listed below so I now feel quite at liberty to have taken the steps I have done. Where I note GOV.UK these are from the government web site. The remainder are from a selection of lawyers.

Being 81 years old I can not assume that I could disable an attacker without assistance and feel that a court would agree with that.

You can use reasonable force to protect yourself or others if a crime is taking place inside your home. GOV.UK (I presume a motorhome is included in that definition)
You do not have to wait to be attacked before defending yourself in your home. GOV.UK
One could argue that having a suitable defensive arrangement would be acceptable within the law

You have an entitlement to use reasonable force in order to protect yourself, your family, and your property if someone burgles your home. You do not necessarily need to wait to be attacked first before acting.

the force would only be considered to be unreasonable if it was “grossly disproportionate" to the threat the defendant believed he faced.

Many people assume that you can only act in self defence if you have been physically attacked first. This is not necessarily the case. Depending on the circumstances, you may be justified in making what is known as a ‘pre-emptive strike’ in order to protect yourself or someone else.

We use these bags below for our waste, any packaging can be reduced by tearing or cutting with scissors into a small space, water bottles with a simple twist will vastly reduce their volume and putting the lid back on keeps them shrunk, half filling these bags we can now even in Ireland dispose of the waste easily.

As for doggy bags, in 1200 miles we've not seen any pick up or dispose of pup poop, and not seen anywhere to put it either, so they must take it home.

Our bags were black but I ordered blue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230920-152826_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230920-152826_eBay.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 46
Police can access social media and use stuff like your post to proof it was there as a weapon.
👮‍♂️
You don't mean this is social media do you? I sincerely hope not! I don't want to be associated with the kind of people wot use ticktock, faceache and so on. AAARRRRGGGHH
These days, a "torch" is a lightweight object with LEDs that can shine for hours on a couple of AAs. So, in the event of you using it "in anger", questions are more likely to be asked as to why you have something that weighs over a kilo -- and you've just provided the answer ...
But ossifer when I went to the pub it was dark. I am fully aware that teenagers use their phones as a torch but I am 80 (ish) years old and I don't think I have a phone with a torch. I bought this magnicifent Maglite torch in 1980 purely because of its perfect engineering and long lasting qualities. There you are see, it still works. Even after I've knocked that toe rag that broke into my motorhome out cold. In self defence you understand. What was he going to do in my motorhome? Make me a cup of tea? I think not. Could you take this body away please, I want to go back to sleep.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back