wildcampers rubbish

lakenham rod

Last week while travelling from Scotland to Wales by every B road possible I came across a wildcamping spot a few miles from Brough on the B6259 that is common land and used for wildcamping, being midmorning I just pulled on the grass to have a brew, while the kettle was boiling I wandered to the river to have a look and got talking to a gentleman that had been tenting there and another with a van, the man with the tent had just picked up from the site, two very large plastic bags full of discarded assorted rubbish and was loading them in the boot of his car to take home to Wigan to dump, the other gentleman told me that during the school holidays you could,nt get on the place for caravans,one of which appeared to have been there the whole six weeks, leaving used nappies thrown outside the caravan and on one occasion was seen emptying the chemical toilet into the river, this behavior is the prime reason why wildcamping sites are disappearing fast, I also visited lead hills on the way and although not as bad there were plastic bags in the river and empty cans left around, why do people do this, if they are camping it must be because they enjoy the great outdoors yet they can,t take their litter with them, PLEASE CLEAR UP WHEN YOU LEAVE, DON,T SPOIL IT FOR EVERYONE ELSE.
Rod.

lakenham rod said:
leaving used nappies thrown outside the caravan and on one occasion was seen emptying the chemical toilet into the river,

if they are camping it must be because they enjoy the great outdoors yet they can,t take their litter with them, PLEASE CLEAR UP WHEN YOU LEAVE, DON,T SPOIL IT FOR EVERYONE ELSE.
Rod.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

I totally agree, this makes my blood boil! Some people are just incredibly lazy and inconsiderate of other people and the countryside! There's no excuse for it.

Tony

:( I once saw a guy in a campervan try to dump a bag of rubbish in a carpark. I embarrased him by letting him know i was watching, he soon put it in his campervan:D

I know the spot you mean, we stayed there last year for one night and that was too long! It was getting late and we needed somewhere, a guy we passed realised we were looking for somewhere and advised us to try it. There were 3 or 4 caravans with fires going outside,piles of rubbish,little kids on scrambler bikes. Lets just say I would class the owners as real travellers in the true sense of the word. I got nervous when an axe was brought out to chop up the wood!!:eek: :D .It was a pity 'cos it realy is a nice spot by the river and you can watch people handgliding from the hills nearby.

Hi

Were these "wilders" not ****** because a few miles from Brough is Appleby were they hold a horse fair. It's usually in June but I seem to recall a recent "event". I've noticed over the years that areas which they have used in the past have been fenced off with high metal fences. Incidentally one of the horses died this year in a "traditional swim" in the river, no action was taken if I'm correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rubbish

Pet hate of mine not just motorhomers, anybody dumping rubbish,fly tipping etc. What we do as wild campers could be seen by many of the general public to be illegal, eg. parking in non designated campsites,but so long as we take our rubbish away with us,don't mess up the land or overstay our already shaky welcome then we won't give Joe public room to hate us "keep it wild keep it tidy":D

Went wildcamping last night and I made sure that the whole area around our van was spotless when we left. I even picked up one or two small pieces of litter that were there before we got there.

we have had the same problem at loads of places,anything from rubbish sanitory towels nappies and loads of dog poo,prehaps they should put up signs saying the rules of the countryside are and then list them, our kids are great at picking other peoples rubbish up pity the adults dont follow suit in alot of occasions the other day we were parked up and a bloke got out his volvo with 2 labradors let them go to the loo all over the place and walked of our mate picked it up and dumped it by his drivers door hopefully he either stood in it himself or got the hint and started carrying a bag with him.he was only parked less than 10 yards from the dog bin as well , we used to pick our pups up all the while and either take it home or put it in the porta-loo.:mad:

the new thing is , buy a cheap tent use it over the weekend . get a big carry oot, then when they're goin home burn the tent & leave the lovely place like a **** hole. f------ annoys the **** out of me.. but what can u do.. f--- all thats what. i just make sure i leave the place as i found it .. it's a pity everybodys no the same...:eek: :eek: :D

left rubbish

hillwalker said:
the new thing is , buy a cheap tent use it over the weekend . get a big carry oot, then when they're goin home burn the tent & leave the lovely place like a **** hole. f------ annoys the **** out of me.. but what can u do.. f--- all thats what. i just make sure i leave the place as i found it .. it's a pity everybodys no the same...:eek: :eek: :D

same at loch doon buy an old caravan use it a few times
then leave it for the factor to get rid of bunch of merchant bankers mate

the general public are not intrested any more by the looks of it the people that just discard any thing anywhare have no thought for them selves never mind anyonelse this is why this country is going the way it is the only thing we can do is when we leave a place where we have been is to tidy round as for dog mess we had a guy that lived near us his dog left a pile outside our drive so it ended up sat on the bonnet of his new 4x4 he never let it happen again

merlin wanderer said:
same at loch doon buy an old caravan use it a few times
then leave it for the factor to get rid of bunch of merchant bankers mate
i agree totally.. they just leave there ****e for some other poor c---t to pick up well out of order ..

mandrake said:
the general public are not intrested any more by the looks of it the people that just discard any thing anywhare have no thought for them selves never mind anyonelse this is why this country is going the way it is the only thing we can do is when we leave a place where we have been is to tidy round as for dog mess we had a guy that lived near us his dog left a pile outside our drive so it ended up sat on the bonnet of his new 4x4 he never let it happen again

my daughter had sh*t smeared on her doorhandles by some vindictive
old bast**d at a local country carpark just cos she had a dog. the old biddy was heard to say "i hate people with dogs". it got moved to the miserable old t*ats windscreen......
she always picks up and this was the best pickup yet even though nowt to do with her.

john

pappajohn said:
my daughter had sh*t smeared on her doorhandles by some vindictive
old bast**d at a local country carpark just cos she had a dog. the old biddy was heard to say "i hate people with dogs". it got moved to the miserable old t*ats windscreen......
she always picks up and this was the best pickup yet even though nowt to do with her.

john
that's shockin that john.. some people r aff ther heed..:D :D

think i may have been misunder stood now we have a dog and always clean up the only reason i did what i did was as i asked him to remove it and he gave me a load of abuse i am not a dog hater i am a hater of the owner that deliberatly will not clear up after the dog i hope that clears up any misunder standing if there is any cheers

mandrake said:
think i may have been misunder stood now we have a dog and always clean up the only reason i did what i did was as i asked him to remove it and he gave me a load of abuse i am not a dog hater i am a hater of the owner that deliberatly will not clear up after the dog i hope that clears up any misunder standing if there is any cheers

no misunderstanding at all mate.:D :D

thanks for that when i saw that part of my post underlined in red and the reply i thourght oops they think i am dog hater must be me getting a bit paranoyd must chill a bit thinks?????

mandrake said:
thanks for that when i saw that part of my post underlined in red and the reply i thourght oops they think i am dog hater must be me getting a bit paranoyd must chill a bit thinks?????

no probs mate. but i must point out it would be better on his doorstep so he stood in it on his way out...:cool: :D :D

does anyone know why my smilies keep changing order ? :)

Take nothing but memories,
Leave nothing but Foot-Prints.

Simple realy, Isnt It ?

Don

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back