wild camping

vogue

:angry: well folks.just got back from our trip around the country.first stop aldeburgh and it was great to see no pay and display. so a good place to stop if you going that way.perhaph i should explaine i flatley refuse to go on camp sites,i like to do what i want to do & not what others would like me to do.we headed on thru hull and newcastle then we stopped on holy island.which is owned by the national thrust.its a beautiful place to visit then i saw the rangers patroling.now what iv'e found at other places is.if you ask a ranger or security guard can you stop the night mostly they will say no.so i keep my mouth shut and take a chance.so thats what i did on holy island and got a good night's sleep.so thanks to the rangers i will visit again.then over the border into scotland.we headed straigh for lockness where we base ourselvs at lock garry on the a87 there are about three off road laybys with good views of the lock where you can wild camp.last year we stayed for three days.this year two days then on to john o'groats & on thru thurso and durness.then back to lock garry to spend the night.so all in all had a good time in scotland.then on down south again.we spent a nice evening near stranreer in a layby watching the ships going to belfast .nearly forgot we stopped off at crinan basin to get some pics of the old puffers.be careful if you go there that is if you have a large coachbuilt very narrow roads 90deg bends very hairy.im now glad i downgraded to a smaller coachbuilt.i us to have a crv dreamliner vogue on a fiat ducatto so if you see it on you travels or you own it let me know id like to know if its still around reg=C720 MNH.anyway on down to the point of air north wales.this used to be a great place to wild camp just drive on to the beach and set yourself up we stayed there for two weeks a few years ago.but not any more the gates and signs have gone up no overnight camping.theyve built a carpark on the beach which i think has spoiled the place.so wont be going there again sadly.another place i used to go was portland isleland near weymouth the carpark with the best view has now got height and with restrictions and the other carparks no overnight stays.so if you do go there and its a weekend dont park on the cul de sac road between the tower and the pub,as the local cab drivers assemble there till about 3am and they will wake you slamming doors reving engines shouting and other things they dont like you being there.just oppisit there is waist land its been made smaller but you can stay on there.a place we loved going to dartmoor wev'e there many times over the years it was great to wild camp on the moors.but sadly not any more.as i was informed by a park ranger there is no common land left on the moor it all belongs to some one?.so no caravans or motor homes overnight backpackers and walkers are welcome to camp overnight in some areas.feeding the ponys is now a ofence and you could get fined.they say its to keep the ponys away from the road,as they may get killed or injured.well ive got to say ive never seen a dead or injured animal on the moor.but ive heard about dead ponys when they cull them?.so no more taking you kids or grandchildren to feed the ponys unless you want break the law.well im going to stop writing now as its depressing to think about it.so much for a free country.if you would like to comment on this thread please do so.

Hi vogue
and i have to agree that the freedoms in this country are less and less.
The wall has come down and the russians now have the freedoms we used to have.
I don't agree on the rangers comment tho. Most of the time if I ask a ranger they say ok but that is me and possibly it wont work for everyone.

sounds like you had a good trip tho
roi

Hi Vogue,
Thought I'd put in my tuppence worth.
Wild camping is an art form, and when looking for a spot for the night other peoples' views must be taken into consideration.

Such as, can anyone see me through their front window? (I might spoil their view) This can get up other peoples' noses.

Am I obtructing anyones access?
In a layby can the truckers get past me easily? (remember they need extra space for manoeverability)
Am I easily spotted? If you are hidden and no one can see you then no one can complain to someone who can't be seen.

As has been mentioned already in some other topic on this forum,
It pays to have a good look around before making your decision.

We are of the opinion that there must be more yobs around the nearer you are to a town, so consequently countryside is more preferable for us.

Our personal opinion about supermarket and town centre car parks for an overnight stop.
Surely this must be the cause of more and more height bars going up at
these locations, this would then stop anyone with a camper legitimately going in for their shopping, or even parking to have a walk around the town. I think this gets us lot a bad name!

With friendly greetings,
Ian

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back