Wild Camping in built-up Areas

i do quite a bit of this in the week as i go to work from my van so need to be reasonably close and have not had any problems yet...if i do then i will cross that bridge when i come to it!! :eek:

In the eyes of the law you need the land owners permission to sleep overnight in any vehicle, don't have it you are breaking the law. That is a stupid law but can be enforced so if anyone objects you could get a knock on the door.
True, The Criminal Justice and Public Order Act, Section 77, applies, see here

I can't pretend to be an expert but as I understand it, in most cases a land owner cannot just give permission, he must have a site licence (and, usually, planning permission) in order to allow 'caravans' to be stationed on his land for the purpose of human habitation (some exemptions are permitted for particular cases). The term 'caravans' in this context also applies to motor vehicles constructed or adapted for the purpose of human habitation.

AndyC

I slept outside a mates house in Devon for 4 nights last year and no one paid the slightest interest in, me, the van or my mate. and if you can have a chat to someone in the street and ask if you would be annoying anyone, I am sure you would be o.k . As long as all the rest of the festival goers are not doing the same.

I have parked on streets often do it wisely
pick somewhere quite with no curtain twitchers
common sense prevails the only problems
I have had are the young team comming home from
the pub giving the van a good shake will I am snoring
inside he he

We have parked on a friends drive but I dont think camping outside someones house is very good. Just find somewhere out the way or ask if it would be OK. We met a German last year and he came to the UK and never paid once to park and he asked people for water and parked outside their house and that was fine. as long as you ask they can say yes or no, but just doing it gives us a bad name. Good Luck. Bob.:eek:

Last edited:
The HIghwaycode website ( http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069860) lists the rules as follows:

Parking at night

You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space.

[Laws CUR reg 101 & RVLR reg 24]

All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph (48 km/h).

[Law RVLR reg 24]

Cars, goods vehicles not exceeding 1525 kg unladen weight, invalid carriages, motorcycles and pedal cycles may be parked without lights on a road (or lay-by) with a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) or less if they are

* at least 10 metres (32 feet) away from any junction, close to the kerb and facing in the direction of the traffic flow
* in a recognised parking place or lay-by

Other vehicles and trailers, and all vehicles with projecting loads, MUST NOT be left on a road at night without lights.
----------------------------------------------------
My modest sized coachbuilt weighs 2600kg unladen so it cannot be parked on the road at night without lights. Hope that helps, Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back