Wild Atlantic Way Top Spots

Welsh will

Free Member
We are travelling over to Ireland in May to celebrate my 50th birthday. We are only there for 7 days so unable to complete the full route but am looking for recomendations of good spots to visits in these 7 days.
Hoping then to plan a route of which section to travel in our week away.
Do understand there are so many great locations and Wild Atlantic way website is full of these. But just looking for your suggestions of actual places you have enjoyed as you guys have lived it.
We are hoping to wild camp for the week and are especially hoping to visit some historic landmarks aswell as stop over and experience some village pubs with traditional sing song of a night!
All suggestions greatly appreciated, have also read a few other threads from others concerning Ireland.
This will be our 1st visit there to Wild camp so suggestions on do's and donts also welcome. Again also read some of these in other peoples threads.
Thanks in adcance
Will

Forget the atlantic way,head up to letterkenny,take the n56 to termon turning left r251 ,nat park and big house,then past errigal to dunlewy center ,you can then go to dunree fort and on up to famine village,dont cram to much more in,there is a good wilding spot a kinnego beach which has a steep windy path down bur well worth it.
A lot depends on what port you come in at,newgrange & boyne vally is nice ,also tato park/zoo is a all day experence,do have a fab time,we take life in the slow lane here.

castle-8.jpgcastle-10.jpg3613809_orig.jpgdun l 15 d.jpgdun l 15 b.jpgdunree c.pngdunree b.pngdonegal map.png

I would go for the Dingle peninsula in Kerry.
Agree with above not to cram too much in though.
Better to enjoy less than to rush.
Get motorhomecraic app for good wildcamp spots

Mayo is really beautiful and has many traditional small villages with irish music - westport, louisburgh, clifden, driving past Croagh Patrick mountain and ~Clew Bay then up to donegal and the Dough Dough island famine village. you will keep stopping to look so dont attempt too long an itinerary - it will be there next year

Thanks for replies....at work at moment so will study them all in detail tonight.
We are sailing from Holyhead as was cheapest at that time so need to travel across from Dublin...do agree 7 days isnt going to be long enough but the crossing was a gift from my wife as she unable to get any longer off from work at that period.
Hopefully we can get the Irish experience to plan another longer trip next time.
Thanks again for replies so far 👍🏼

Thanks for replies....at work at moment so will study them all in detail tonight.
We are sailing from Holyhead as was cheapest at that time so need to travel across from Dublin...do agree 7 days isnt going to be long enough but the crossing was a gift from my wife as she unable to get any longer off from work at that period.
Hopefully we can get the Irish experience to plan another longer trip next time.
Thanks again for replies so far 👍🏼

My first visit was a short trip too about 20 years ago. Have been going regularly ever since!!

If coming in at dub then do the boyne vally ,newgrange,melifont abby and pos up to carlingford.
Dont over do it or i may have to come to the rescue. 😂

View attachment 76016View attachment 76017View attachment 76018View attachment 76019View attachment 76020View attachment 76021View attachment 76022View attachment 76023View attachment 76024
Thanks Trev for all this information. Will look on maps etcs to see what looks best using this information you have shared

Mayo is really beautiful and has many traditional small villages with irish music - westport, louisburgh, clifden, driving past Croagh Patrick mountain and ~Clew Bay then up to donegal and the Dough Dough island famine village. you will keep stopping to look so dont attempt too long an itinerary - it will be there next year
Thanks for this information....will check it out on map to help with planning. We dont keep to an itinerary but just keep plodding on and stop if its a great spot

Loving all the info. Any suggestions for a weeks overnight stops with toilets? Over to Ballycastle at end of July for the weekend but have another 7 days to play with A big ask but going across in a campervan with a porta potti for emergencies. Definitely want to visit Fahan in Donegal as discovered ladt week that my Maternal Grandfather was born there. Been to NI twice now (Causeway Coast) and also Donegal and absolutely love it.

Loving all the info. Any suggestions for a weeks overnight stops with toilets? Over to Ballycastle at end of July for the weekend but have another 7 days to play with A big ask but going across in a campervan with a porta potti for emergencies. Definitely want to visit Fahan in Donegal as discovered ladt week that my Maternal Grandfather was born there. Been to NI twice now (Causeway Coast) and also Donegal and absolutely love it.

Toilets do seem to be scarce in the ROI. Pubs have them.....

No loos in donegal acc pubs,your to early for the foyle ferry magilligan so its via letterkenny.

The March edition of MMM magazine has an article on 2 weeks touring around Kerry including the Dingle and Iveragh peninsulas and Killarney National Park. This might be worth a read and it includes several overnight pub stops.

Buncrana has a stopover here. No toilet but free Leccy and Garage with food opposite

And a dumpstation near here

Buncrana stopover is 5 euro for 10 units, I read...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back