wifi booster

alanval

Advice please on a wifi booster that compatable with windows vista.We looked at one in maplins a Hawkins but the chap said it wouldnt work if I had vista?? so dont want to pay out around £80 if it wont work.Looked on e-bay but not sure whats what..

Val

oops put this in the wrong thread...........

Hi Alan,

I'm guessing you want one so you can pick up a signal much further away? I can fully recommend the cantenna available here: WiFi Antennas-Super Cantenna Wireless Booster Antenna - I've picked up signals from my house almost 1km away! You'll prob need to get another wifi card that enables you to plug an antenna in - but they're reasonably cheap.

There is also plenty of information on how to build you're own cantenna if you're that way inclined, but for about $40 USD this one is great.

Cheers
Sean

Cheers
Sean

Will look at that thanks, but whats a wifi card I dont have one of these its built in to my pc?/
Some folks had boosters in Portugal and were on line.I couldnt get it as the signal was not strong enough so they said I needed abooster...

Val

Will look at that thanks, but whats a wifi card I dont have one of these its built in to my pc?/
Some folks had boosters in Portugal and were on line.I couldnt get it as the signal was not strong enough so they said I needed abooster...

Val

Most new laptop pc's have a wifi card and its associated aerials built in and the range is somewhat limited. To extend the range you need a second new wifi adapter with an improved long range aerial. This adapter plugs into a USB port, and can use aerials like the Cantenna already cited.

In buying such a product which will have its own drivers you need to ensure these are compatible with your operating system (e.g. Vista).

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back