Who makes the best Motorhomes?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2636
  • Start date

Deleted member 2636

So who does make the best Motorhomes?
I don't include the one-off things that you sometimes see; nor do I include the American RVs. I'm interested in the European manufacturers.
I'm interested in which manufacturer produces the best? Would it be Neismann and Biscoff, Burstner, Concorde, who ever?
I'll ask on the "Wildcamping" forum as most of the people on here have motorhomes and use them as opposed to people who do only a couple of trips a year.

Wow, a thread directly associated with motorhoming, how refreshing. Why Autotrail of course!

Oh you know what they say variety is the spice of life ! That goes for conversation too.......I wouldnt have a clue but would be interested in peoples opinions for future reference. Good starter thread baloothebear ;)

Murvi, not only the best motorhomes by far, but also the excellent after service.

Dezi :pc:

"Best" would point towards most expensive in my opinion. What about "best value for money" and "build quality". Then for me it would have to be Adria.

Depends on purpose. E.g. A VW camper may suit a surfer who weekends, a Hymer may suit a long termer. There are a lot of variables.

I know the above selection is not a scientific sample but it is interesting that the overwhelming vote is in favour of foreign-built motorhomes (mine's Italian) rather than British ones and this matches what I have been told many, many times over the years (largely by people who have British motorhomes and regret it). I started off thinking I would like to buy British if possible but rapidly went off that idea because the build-quality just wasn't up to non-British vehicles in the same price range. I haven't looked for a new motorhome for several years (but may well be doing so next year) so I don't know if the quality of British vans has improved. I would be interested to hear other opinions on this.

This is exactly what I'm getting at. I have been looking at new motorhomes and I've been very disappointed at the build quality. Having now had a few motorhomes, both "off the shelf", self builds and "one off" I've got a pretty shrewd idea of what to look for

@Mark61 - Unicats don't count as they're all produced as "one offs" but they are very nice :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right, of course - and I agree totally about the unecessary technology - and when it comes to the time to change the van I will certainly do a lot of shopping around - but there is no alternative to experience and it would be good to hear the comments of people who have had experience of various motorhomes.

In response to Tbear's question, the thing that concerns me most is build quality. Layout etc we can see from brochures (and we all have different requirements) but build quality is something that I am sure we are all interested in and it often only becomes apparant after regular use.

You are right, of course - and I agree totally about the unecessary technology - and when it comes to the time to change the van I will certainly do a lot of shopping around - but there is no alternative to experience and it would be good to hear the comments of people who have had experience of various motorhomes.

In response to Tbear's question, the thing that concerns me most is build quality. Layout etc we can see from brochures (and we all have different requirements) but build quality is something that I am sure we are all interested in and it often only becomes apparant after regular use.

Hi John,

I though it might help the people newer to Motorhomes to benefit from the experienced ones on things like pipes that freeze up at the drop of a hat, rather than where the bed goes. A list of priorities on what is most important may help a few avoid the pitfalls.
A few weeks ago I went to our local showroom and was very tempted by a van I could almost afford until I noticed the loo cassette was tiny and would have to be emptied twice a day:rolleyes2:. A small point to some but to me wilding would have been a disaster.

Richard

Hi John,

I though it might help the people newer to Motorhomes to benefit from the experienced ones on things like pipes that freeze up at the drop of a hat, rather than where the bed goes. A list of priorities on what is most important may help a few avoid the pitfalls.
A few weeks ago I went to our local showroom and was very tempted by a van I could almost afford until I noticed the loo cassette was tiny and would have to be emptied twice a day:rolleyes2:. A small point to some but to me wilding would have been a disaster.

Richard

Very good point. Perhaps we ought to have a section of the forum dedicated to this kind of thing, so that people can post the advantages and disadvantages of vans they have experienced and that way we could build up a comprehensive directory.

It was the build quality that led us to Murvi & after 14 years still not seen its equal or practicality in another vehicle.

Dezi :pc:

22 year old Pilote here, everything still works as it should, cabinets are all intact and without flaws. But now I am hearing reports that the new Pilotes have went down hill in terms of quality. Such a pity, I was hoping in 22 years time to a buy a 2012 model :)

We've got a VW T2 Bay which is great for just the two of us for overnight or short stays. For longer stays in one place we have a driveaway awning which has been worth its' weight in gold the last few Isle of Man TT's but the bay's 38 years old now and the 1000 mile round trip is getting a bit much for her so she's off the road for some tlc; five years of daily use is showing on the bodywork! If we're going further afield or we have our stepdaughter and the dog (7.5 stone German Shepherd) in tow we use our new motorhome (Chausson Odysee 92 on a Ford transit base)

When we bought the motorhome nearly two months ago, we'd spent ages looking at different models in dealers and online to get what we wanted from the MH. We looked around loads and made a list of what were the important things to us, top of the list being a garage large enough to fit himself's motorbike in! I looked at the interior layout to ensure that it would work for us. We've used the MH at least twice a week since we've had it and wish we'd done it years ago. It's wonderful to be able to go to bed without spending an age clearing it and setting it up, and to be able to leave in the morning without spending yonks moving all the stuff back onto the bed and turning it back into a rear seat.

Whilst we were looking round, we saw lots of fairly new vans with low mileage but on closer inspection things weren't right with them, doors or windows sticking, water ingress, rust etc..... Ours is on a 55 plate and we went over it with a fine toothcomb before we bought it, everything works as it should, all the seals are intact and none of the windows leak.

So having seen probably thousands of vans I can't tell you which is the best but I can highly recommend the Chausson 92 Odysee for build quality and layout.

Happy camping :)

Elaine

The best advice I can give you is look at loads so you'll know which layout will suit you.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back