whitevanwoman's white vans

I've a transit too! Spent 5months travelling in Scotland last year with my dog. I took out the bulkhead-for an easy escape if needed- and just put in a bed and a couple of storage shelves. The beauty is that if you've no windows-nobody knows who might be inside! Oh-the joy I've had! Sadly though, the van doesn't want to start-I'm hoping its the battery! Ah, cooking! Sandwiches are easy!!

Watch out Whitevanwoman, Moondance is only after one thing..... your newly aquired "how to deal with a duff battery" skills!! :lol-053:

Last edited:
Watch out Whitevanwoman, Moondance is only after one thing..... your newly aquired "how to deal with a duff battery" skills!! :lol-053:

Scampa shush man ...Iam hoping WVM can sort my clutch pedal problem out .....brings tears to the eyes of a fully grown man it does.

I know damn well she wouldnt enjoy as recompense..

Onion soup with a grilled Gruyere cheese topping

or

Pork chops with fried potatoes and French beans with garlic , served with a fresh mushroom and cream sauce ..

or tart tatin with chantilly cream..

What a man will do to sort his clutch problem ???

Channa

Lol, I'm happy to help a fellow WVW (is that not a contradiction in terms?) but all I know is contained in the dead battery thread :lol-053:

Shame we're separated by the entire length of England, but I might be planning a trip down to the South West in mid Aug for a week or so.

Scampa shush man ...Iam hoping WVM can sort my clutch pedal problem out .....brings tears to the eyes of a fully grown man it does.

I know damn well she wouldnt enjoy as recompense..

Onion soup with a grilled Gruyere cheese topping

or

Pork chops with fried potatoes and French beans with garlic , served with a fresh mushroom and cream sauce ..

or tart tatin with chantilly cream..

What a man will do to sort his clutch problem ???

Channa

Mmmmm... I can smell it from here :bow:

Mmmmm... I can smell it from here :bow:

should my culinary recompense fail, always a bottle of Newcastle Brown, bag of pork scratchings, and a night at the greyhounds..funny as owt watching the daft buggers chasing a netto bag disguised as a hare

Channa

Looks good! Partner reminds me of Kangooroo's iKangoo. Just take out the dog cage and put in a rabbit cage!

You could probably sleep a taller person in there. Just put a trap door in the bottom of the passenger's bulkhead which would also be useful for carrying long objects like wood or skis. You wouldn't lose the safety feature of the bulkhead, if you didn't want too, it could slide up, like a coal scuttle door.

As for conversions I would think carefully before stripping it out to sell it. Kangooroo got a very handy PX on her van from a motorcaravan dealer that she wouldn't have got on a basic van. It's surprising the extra value of a well insulated van with a rooflight and some basic facilities.

My old white LWB 4x4 transit,

P1010001 - Copy.JPGP1010003 - Copy.JPGP8210010 - Copy.jpgP8210011.jpg
about 08/2002 near Meir,stoke on trent
Those were the days.........:wacko:
contained double bed, wet shower/toilet, cooker

Lorry :drive:

do miss it some times, but the Merc has a lot more room

:) Two of a kind, pleased to meet you

I've just bought a similar Tranny. I'd offer to make it a Tranny Threesome, but I think that might be a different website!!!!!

Mine's an ex-works crewbus, so already got lockers, microwave & hotwater. Should be able to have it finished with a couple of weeks.

My old white LWB 4x4 transit,

Those were the days
contained double bed, wet shower/toilet, cooker

Lorry

do miss it some times, but the Merc has a lot more room

I always fancied one of those 4x4 transits ( Transit "County" wasn't it?). I like the idea of the 4x4 in a van of that size, but what was it like for mpg or problems etc, compared to normal transits? And were they permanent or part time 4 wheel drive?

Looks good! Partner reminds me of Kangooroo's iKangoo. Just take out the dog cage and put in a rabbit cage!

You could probably sleep a taller person in there. Just put a trap door in the bottom of the passenger's bulkhead which would also be useful for carrying long objects like wood or skis. You wouldn't lose the safety feature of the bulkhead, if you didn't want too, it could slide up, like a coal scuttle door.

As for conversions I would think carefully before stripping it out to sell it. Kangooroo got a very handy PX on her van from a motorcaravan dealer that she wouldn't have got on a basic van. It's surprising the extra value of a well insulated van with a rooflight and some basic facilities.

Yes indeed - the Peugeot is very similar to my 'iKangoo-Camping' - even the dog crate probably has a similar 102 x 60cm pawprint to my rabbit cage!

On buying this my first job was to remove the bulkhead to create space, initially using the nearside for my bunk but last spring I rearranged it with the bed on the offside and extending into the cab area creating a 7' long, 60cm wide bunk.

As Firefox said, I was extremely lucky in achieving full market value (higher than book value!) for my butchered van when part-exchanging it for a campervan (which I also had a discount on). I'd assumed that fitting under-sized side windows, roof vent and fan along with an untidy carpeting job would devalue the van, but I was wrong. This was almost certainly helped by trading it in to a dealer which is also a converter and offered the trade-in value I suggested. They recognised its potential and seemed to like my ideas for a 'proper' conversion to include leisure battery, split charger and small cooking facility. I was quite persuasive but I was also very lucky: other motorhome dealers wouldn't have been interested and the car/van dealers I approached wanted it stripped out and offered less.

One observation when doing your adaptation, don't do anything too smart, tidy or comprehensive or you may run into insurance difficulties. Insurers insist vehicles have to be either a motorhome or a commercial vehicle and there appears to be next to no flexibility or middle ground between the two. My objective was to produce something which looked still looked like a van and it was 'pure coincidence' that it was possible to sleep in it with the addition of a 'bed cushion'... The lockers had to be declared and I was allowed the sink and roof vent because I was carrying animals (just as you're carrying your dogs!). Pics available if you're interested.

well it looks like a culinary meet is coming up in cornwall this year road kill specials and mech courses and how to fix it with a hammer when all else fails and camping van design course i up for that

re ceiling condesation,get a can of spray glue and stick whatever material you can find,thick cloth,old carpet,thin polstyrene on a roll,denim from a charity shop,doesn't take a lot to stop the drips,then when you do it properly rip it off or go over

I always fancied one of those 4x4 transits ( Transit "County" wasn't it?). I like the idea of the 4x4 in a van of that size, but what was it like for mpg or problems etc, compared to normal transits? And were they permanent or part time 4 wheel drive?

Yep a county
good idea on paper, but not that good in real life
they were part time 4x4, with a lever next to the gear stick, and twist lock on each front wheel.
I was towing a small trailer across a wet field, started rear wheel spinning, put it in 4x4 mode still slipping :juggle:..
Decided to up the rear ratio to give higher top speed and remove transfer box, now being dead weight,
never did use it for cross country wilding:dance:
used to drive a V4 2000cc Mk1 LWB twin wheel transit for work, went like a rocket....

Lorry :drive:

Lol, I'm happy to help a fellow WVW (is that not a contradiction in terms?) but all I know is contained in the dead battery thread :lol-053:

Shame we're separated by the entire length of England, but I might be planning a trip down to the South West in mid Aug for a week or so.

Hey-if you're down this way-you'd be welcome!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back