Whitby

Whitby has conducted a vendetta against motorhomes for many, many years. Now they reckon to make some money from them.

I don't think that's true. What is true is that Scarborough Borough Council (and North Yorks Council) have conducted that vendetta. Though even that slipped about eight years ago when full council approved overnight parking on five car parks - this approval was overturned by the cabinet member responsible - Penny Marsden (when she took over from the then Cabinet Holder Andrew Backhouse).

I can't quicky find the Scarborough News Article but this https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/news/aires-to-grace-council-car-parks describes it.

In Whitby Scarborough council consistently said that their vendetta was due to complaints from Whitby residents. Asked to prove this statement the council was never able to do so. In the latest, published here and in the NY Enquirer about two years ago, Scarborough Council claimed about 1000 complaints from the public. The council was able to produce two. http://nyenquirer.uk/motorhome-madness/ which gave possible reasons for the hate we perceived.

Wherever the hate came from - there is no evidence it was from the public. Plenty of evidence that the council was prepared to lie.

I have friends who live in Whitby. I used to know the editor of the local paper. Believe me, the paper had stirred up a lot of emnity in the locals, though of course, not all of them.
The idea of allowing motorhomes to park by the marina was just a sop to get the on-street ban through, then it was rapidly reversed.

There is a very expensive camp site not far from Whitby that won’t provide its facilities. You’d think it would be half price seeing as they don’t need cleaning staff anymore.

Oh, I also know people who worked on camp sites near Whitby. They were paid at a rate that means there is little saving to be made by not employing them!

I've had posts appear in the wrong topic, comments presented as quotes to a different post.
I don't think it's the forum software getting it wrong, but perhaps the forum software makes it very easy for users to get it wrong.

One of the few plusses of retiring from Motorhoming is...

That we will no longer be required to visit friends and family in Whitby, Skeg- bloody- Ness ,Scarborough, Filey, Brid... Blackpool. Especially in the off season..
Never again.
At least we could get Bateman's beer in Skeg- bloody-Ness..
My Dad used to work at Butlins..
I still have nightmares about Ingold- flaming-mells..!

One of the few plusses of retiring from Motorhoming is...

That we will no longer be required to visit friends and family in Whitby, Skeg- bloody- Ness ,Scarborough, Filey, Brid... Blackpool. Especially in the off season..
Never again.
At least we could get Bateman's beer in Skeg- bloody-Ness..
My Dad used to work at Butlins..
I still have nightmares about Ingold- flaming-mells..!

Skeg -bloody-ness is My home please dont visit (You are allowed if buying Batemans lol) Butlins well take it or leave it RIP OFF HOLIDAYS. Ingishmells as my late Dad used to call it was ok when we moved here 20 years back but like everywhere else around here too many bloody caravans.

Actually your home sounds very appealing. ;):cool:(y)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back