Which Solar Controller

shortcircuit

Not posted for some time but have lurked in the background. I am impressed by the quality of advice provided by the forum and hope I can be guided in the right direction. I have a 2008 Autocruize Stargazer with the Kigass Energy Management System. I have added a 90w solar panel and programmed it into the EMS and working ok. I now wish to add solar panels however the Kigass can only take 100w so is at capacity. At the moment I have two 85A/h Energy Squadron AGM longlife batteries connected separately to the EMS. I have done limited research on which controller I will be able to use hence this posting. Of the controller I looked at for dual batteries it suggested that one output would be for the leisure battery and a reduced output for the vehicle battery. Grateful for any advice.
The reason I wish to increase solar is the current setup does not have the guts to keep my electric bike battery topped up. In addition I am experiencing problems with my Dometic 3-way fridge on gas and if I cannot resolve this problem would go electric, which would be another posting.
Regards
Hamish

I think I have worked this out but submit my possibly incorrect way for comment. As I am increasing the amount of solar I will fit two panels and two controllers, one for each battery and also leave Kigass connected. Possible?

Go direct from controller to battery bank to bypass any limitations in the control system. You can use one controller per panel but why not put. Both panels through a single controller?

There is no reason why you cannot have multiple panels connected together and then connected to a single Solar Controller - as longs as that controller is sized to take the power of the two controllers. The benefit of doing so will be likely a saving in cost and also the need only to run a single cable pair through the roof.
I would suggest an MPPT controller would be your best option. Quite a few brands around to select from.

I don't know anything about the Kigass system fitted to Autocruises but I would not be surprised if the controller was a very basic PWM controller worth just a few pounds and something you could significantly improve on with a newer MPPT controller also.
Kigass as a brand and product does not seem to be supported by anyone for quite a few years, so I would not put any money into adding kit into it as it does fail, chances are the whole thing might need swapping out.

Thanks for your reply. In the Kigass system the two leisure batteries have individual inputs to the controller with a controllers single output for the leisure circuits. By using individual controllers connected to each battery and the output not connected this would increase the charging current to the batteries. Not sure about connecting all the controllers outputs together which would however provide a good solar output current. May have look inside the controller just to see configuration.

I Like farmers ! You need to spend money on electricity farming, befor you start harvesting.
. Put everything from pannels into the hab battery.
MPPT IS THE STARTING POINT . Ifound bluetooth is a good extra
20220710_125751.jpg

If your habitation battery's are full . You can start your van

I thank you for your suggestions. Project slightly on hold until I can work out my fridge problems as to whether to replace a 3-way or go 12v as this will be relevant to my energy needs. I think I need a controller with three outputs.

Thanks for your reply. In the Kigass system the two leisure batteries have individual inputs to the controller with a controllers single output for the leisure circuits. By using individual controllers connected to each battery and the output not connected this would increase the charging current to the batteries. Not sure about connecting all the controllers outputs together which would however provide a good solar output current. May have look inside the controller just to see configuration.
I think how you proceed will depend on exactly how your Kigass panel handles the dual inputs from the 2 leisure batts, they may simply be connected together inside the Kigass which would help massively going forward. If you cant find a circuit diagram for the Kagass then I suggest exploring with a multimeter if you're confident with one.
Merl

I think how you proceed will depend on exactly how your Kigass panel handles the dual inputs from the 2 leisure batts, they may simply be connected together inside the Kigass which would help massively going forward. If you cant find a circuit diagram for the Kagass then I suggest exploring with a multimeter if you're confident with one.
Merl
"By using individual controllers connected to each battery and the output not connected this would increase the charging current to the batteries."

You wouldn't get twice the current simply by using 2 X controllers because the total current (power actually) will simply be limited to the output available from the solar panels.

Thinking about it, I'd bet the 2 leisure battery inputs are simply connected together inside the Kigass unit, does everything in the van (re the 12v leisure side of course) stay working if you disconnect either one of the leisure batteries?

Merl

Thanks for all the input. Fridge pub currently away for hopefully repair failing which alternatives being considered. Watch this space

Are you running different size solar panels ? . As that is a good reason for 2 controller's . but if you're not , go big 30amps ! On both . But Panle Space on roof makes, the price you pay ££££££. I found my 2 x 100 watt panels next to each other system with victron 100/30 sc plenty if running gas. Pannal van roof Size is 140 x 100 cm across van so no over hang. Other go for 1 big panel to extremes and over hang both sides. But they mite have tv and no led lights or best price they found for space ! mines what I already had from old van. With the victron controller as upgrade.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back