Which motorhome insurance company do you use and why?

We have used NFU for a few years. Very well priced, but no idea how good they are at settling claims, as we have never had to make one! They always seem friendly and helpful on the phone!!!

When that roadsweeper truck ran into our Bessie £7300 damage the insurers were fine but the solicitors were absolute a holes despite the other party admitting fault.

NFU was about £300 cheaper than AIB who I have been with for years. AIB require alarm and tracker with a £500 installation fee plus £150 annual maintenance charge. NFU don't, they are happy with whatever security the MH comes with.
Having just acquired a one year old camper I have on a couple of occasions set off the alarm, at my house and in supermarket car parks. No one takes any notice, they are a waste of time. The only time it might be useful is if Robbrs-R-Us break into it when it is parked outside my bedroom window and I am / was asleep.

And I suspect that if you stay with NFU, when you reach 80 yrs old they are more likely to continue insuring you, because a lot of farmers over 80 are still working and driving.

I have been with comfort for about 8 years, as the price seems to be about the same every year with just a small increase, except this year it went down by £27.
To be honest I am too lazy to phone around every year, but should I get a renewal that jumps by a large amount then I shall phone around.

NFU was about £300 cheaper than AIB who I have been with for years. AIB require alarm and tracker with a £500 installation fee plus £150 annual maintenance charge. NFU don't, they are happy with whatever security the MH comes with.
Having just acquired a one year old camper I have on a couple of occasions set off the alarm, at my house and in supermarket car parks. No one takes any notice, they are a waste of time. The only time it might be useful is if Robbrs-R-Us break into it when it is parked outside my bedroom window and I am / was asleep.

And I suspect that if you stay with NFU, when you reach 80 yrs old they are more likely to continue insuring you, because a lot of farmers over 80 are still working and driving.
First and foremost AIB don’t require anything.
They are not underwriters, they are only brokers who carry out the requirements of the various companies they deal with. I am sure if you decided not to fit any security measures to your van they would find a company who would provide you with cover.
Motorhomes come with immobilisers, steering wheel locks, and locks on doors and that’s about it. You say no one takes any notice of alarms, well from my experience within the industry thats simply not the case. Intruders take great notice and in the vast majority of cases will depart speedily after actuating a system. In 30 years we installed over 2000 systems and to the best of my knowledge in all that time only seven of our customers were broken into, and in most of these occasions the intruders spent far less time and stole far less than they would have had they not been alarmed.

Modern systems come with advanced trackers and some companies claim a 100% retrieval rate on any vehicles stolen. The system I will be using allows them to remotely immobilise the Motorhome, if I enter the van without my ID fob and start the engine a signal is sent warning them that possibly an unauthorised person has started the van. If I forget to lock the van I get a warning, and can lock it or even unlock it remotely. The system has other useful features.
When you consider the cost of a modern. Motorhome spending around £1000 to vastly improve its security is a small amount, even the peace of mind offered makes it worth every penny. My insurers are not the only ones insisting that I fit this system, I myself would have done so even if it was not a requirement of my insurers.
Finally I dread to think what you were paying if AIB were £300 more expensive. I have found them extremely competitive, very attentive to any queries I have, and very efficient at dealing with them.
No security system is foolproof , but in my experience the more difficult you make if for criminals to steal your property, the more likely they are to go elsewhere.

Last edited:
We use Safeguard because we have a motorhome that exceeds 3.5T and they include AA European breakdown cover in the policy which the AA don’t offer for motorhomes over 3.5T with their stand alone cover.

The combination of insurance and breakdown cover of the type we need makes for a competitive and compelling offer for us at £540 all in. We do have full no claims and store the motorhome in a gold rated CaSSOA compound and have an annual tracker subscription so there are incidental additional costs that help with the insurance quotes.

We use Safeguard because we have a motorhome that exceeds 3.5T and they include AA European breakdown cover in the policy which the AA don’t offer for motorhomes over 3.5T with their stand alone cover.

The combination of insurance and breakdown cover of the type we need makes for a competitive and compelling offer for us at £540 all in. We do have full no claims and store the motorhome in a gold rated CaSSOA compound.

Yep...us too (y)

Use the cheapest I can find, but do look for equivalent insurance, been with AIB for a few years but this year premium went up by £140 shopped around which is a pain I know, but got it for just a £40 increase on previous year, so in reality I got paid £100 per hour for my time, do it with every insurance policy we have, insurance companies work on your with them so very likely you will stay with them and not shop about, and bump up the premium !

Us too, we surf the Asda motorhome insurance comparison web site which always beats others, plus they have (woohoo Trev) all our details stored so don't have all that palava adding them each year.

AIB for both Car and Motorhome. Premium is competitive and cover is good. This year's renewal was dogged with an Admin problem, but Adam Moate at AIB stepped in and did a brilliant rescue job to track down missing renewal documents and get them out in Saturday's post; he then phoned on the Tuesday [wasn't working Monday] to check that everything had arrived and that I was happy with the outcome. Comforting to 'test the system' and find that it works with a minor problem, so that any bigger problems can be faced with confidence!

Steve

we use AIB for the campervan. been with them for many years now.....
.customer svs has been good....big bonus, phone answered quickly and efficiently.
camper had to have new windscreen recently...they took care of it all.....
plus it was cheaper with them than other ins. companies.
however. car....is with another company... as it was much more expensive with AIB????

I tried AIB a few years back, they said they'd call back with quote, they did and told me I did not have a driveway to park the MoHo which I had told them I did. ( they had checked on google street view) They obviously didn't look at the back of my property on google earth where one can clearly see my MoHo parked on the driveway! I went elsewhere for insurance.

AIB for both Car and Motorhome. Premium is competitive and cover is good. This year's renewal was dogged with an Admin problem, but Adam Moate at AIB stepped in and did a brilliant rescue job to track down missing renewal documents and get them out in Saturday's post; he then phoned on the Tuesday [wasn't working Monday] to check that everything had arrived and that I was happy with the outcome. Comforting to 'test the system' and find that it works with a minor problem, so that any bigger problems can be faced with confidence!

Steve

I had "admin problems" the one year I went with them. I asked for posted documents when I took out the insurance which they agreed to, no problem. After a few weeks I chased so they were 'sent' again. After a couple more weeks I chased and was told that they don't send paper documents out as they were a "green" company. In the end I had to speak to the manager who eventually sent them despite again trying to state their green credentials.

It struck me that they were less green but more cost saving! Had they been upfront about it at the beginning I may well have tried them since.

I use AIB insurance because they get me a cheaper deal than other brokers and because of the support they offer our community.

What about you?
I use AIB insuran

I use AIB insurance because they get me a cheaper deal than other brokers and because of the support they offer our community.

What about you?
I use AIB insurance for the motorhome and car. I did a comparison and found they were cheaper.

Safeguard again for Europe and breakdown. I'll get an AIB quote next year of course!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back