Which LWB high top !!!!

600 - so 6m. Actually not sure what xWB that is ???? So sorry if I got it wrong. But valid on 6m vs 7m.
That's a LWB which is where the 'twin style' of layout starts to work, they have tried it on MWB but it all gets a bit tight.
As gf has claustrophobia in transverse beds we had to give up on the Twin, instead we have a Globecar Campscout with 'twin singles' on a XLWB, interestingly enough with a towbar mounted bike rack on a Twin, or my custom 'swing out' rack on our Campscout, you end up at 7m, so now we are looking at a 7m Cathago where the bikes can be stored inside so ends up no longer.

the 6.4m twin has lateral beds. so a halfway house. but I am sure all can make a case for their own prefered van length :)

Could not justify the asking price for m homes so just built mine, double back wheels and is easy to drive, I would say better than most cars, the suspension is a tad hard as it was meant to carry 2 ton of books, maybe I should have married a fat wife, LOL.
dash layout.jpg
forward from beds.jpg
table seats.jpg
van to back.jpg
view point b.jpg
abby rian van 7 20.jpg

It is up to you, and I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions, but there is a huge difference between parking for 6m vs 7m. I've driven both. 6m usually overhangs about foot - 7m by 4ft. Yes they both overhang - but in many car parks one is acceptable and the other blocks access for others. And if you park at the edge you can often stick 1ft over the grass side whereas sticking 4ft over ...... Mind you space inside 7m is significantly bigger. So I would say it depends where you intend to want to park.

And on ferries - some I know you can get on with the cars 6m or less. Over that needs special payment or possibly not on at all. I take mine to Greece so meet lots of ferries.
Thank you for this xxx everyone is giving some great advice. It’s really fab to get everyone’s views who have driven one.
Helps me make a list of things to do when test driving one, I’ll defo try and park it somewhere
I don’t mind paying more on the ferry if it means more comfort xx

I think the discussion on length perhaps is better framed in terms of what use you want to make of the van.

We use ours for exploring - mostly in Europe but also some in UK. We avoid camping sites unless needing to wash clothes or in the biggest cities. As such we often want to park in town car parks (during the day mostly). So for us the calculation isn’t “just one more metre” but “how much more over a standard parking slot” - which I use 5.5m as a rule of thumb. I know many are smaller than that but you can often find one around 5.5m - anything more being explicitly for motorhomes or trucks. And it isn’t just parking it is the dreaded “No Motorhomes” sign on the way into the town centre (which I can usually ignore).

If I didn’t want to park in towns - if I, say, used bicycles to go into a town, and parked up outside or in residential kerb-side parking - then the comfort of longer would win. If I used camping sites or stayed away from towns and cities then the longer length would be fine. Hence everyone having a different answer to the best length.

”We“ are a couple BTW. With kids I might want to go for the larger van. Mind you we just bought an excellent Cabbunk and successfully took our granddaughter on a tour in Greece over Easter hols. We had a great time and I can recommend the Cabbunk system for adhoc extra kids on board.

Anyway best of luck with your hunting. At the moment a big problem seems to be supply of new vans - so what you get may be limited to the secondhand market. But hope that works out for you.

I think the discussion on length perhaps is better framed in terms of what use you want to make of the van.

We use ours for exploring - mostly in Europe but also some in UK. We avoid camping sites unless needing to wash clothes or in the biggest cities. As such we often want to park in town car parks (during the day mostly). So for us the calculation isn’t “just one more metre” but “how much more over a standard parking slot” - which I use 5.5m as a rule of thumb. I know many are smaller than that but you can often find one around 5.5m - anything more being explicitly for motorhomes or trucks. And it isn’t just parking it is the dreaded “No Motorhomes” sign on the way into the town centre (which I can usually ignore).

If I didn’t want to park in towns - if I, say, used bicycles to go into a town, and parked up outside or in residential kerb-side parking - then the comfort of longer would win. If I used camping sites or stayed away from towns and cities then the longer length would be fine. Hence everyone having a different answer to the best length.

”We“ are a couple BTW. With kids I might want to go for the larger van. Mind you we just bought an excellent Cabbunk and successfully took our granddaughter on a tour in Greece over Easter hols. We had a great time and I can recommend the Cabbunk system for adhoc extra kids on board.

Anyway best of luck with your hunting. At the moment a big problem seems to be supply of new vans - so what you get may be limited to the secondhand market. But hope that works out for you.
Amazing reply, thank you for taking the time. Yes we wild camp a lot more than camp sites, campsites when we need to charge up and shower.

Taking the bikes is a great idea, I have an electric one due to having fibromyalgia, but I have a scooter so we can still park outside of towns and work our way in.

Thanks for all the great advice and help like getting lots of answers to pick through and appreciate everyone’s time

Hi everyone

Which long wheel base, high top would you recommend.
I have multiple conditions and I really need a fixed bed when we are away. We have a VW T5 with a pop top right now and we are finding it a little small for us now. We put out the rock n roll bed when we are away and it never goes back. And I find it a little cramped. Anyone with fibromyalgia knows you got to be able to move around.
I really need somewhere to lay at different times of the day and we really want a fixed bed now. I would also love a full cooker and some kind of shower.
Basically we are going to be living in it most of the time.
Have a look at my LWB Sprinter, it's in the "show us your van"

We are also in the mix looking for something around a 6 mtr or less panel van.
Ours now is a 7.5 mtr chausson with 2 fitted double beds.@ 4 ton.
Really fancy a Carthago Malibu with its layout. Nothing around unless it's high £50's ... or 60k with the autobox.

• Sad
Reactions: REC

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back