Which engine

Tbear

I am vanless at present and looking out of the window at a sunny day and no commitments for a week so apart from feeling sorry for myself I am trying to make my mind up which van I want next. I have a few ideas but the one thing I am clueless about is the engine. What with particulate filters/regulations and other emission problems, the LEZ, diesel engines getting more complicated by the day and the governments seemingly wanting to get them off the road. Vans with good, suitable petrol engines seem to be as rare as rocking horse poo. I am told that diesels do not like to have LPG conversions. Short of putting a sail on top I am a bit lost.

Your thoughts please ladies and gents.

Richard

which engine

hello T bear...........if you want an economical MH read on..........3 years ago I bought a used Trigano Tribute 2003 Fiat Ducato 2.3jtd diesel turbo with 60,000 miles in very good nick. (3 travelling seats, sleeps up to 5). So far has passed mot first time annually, and it passes the emission level test, and tester assures me that's good for the eu as well, and the star feature is the fuel economy, which makes it (driven carefully etc) the most economical 2.5 ton van I have heard of at a general 43mpg, and 600 miles range tank allows you to travel especially on cheap French or eu fuel very economically. If I had not seen a few others quoting similar consumption would not have believed it.........so far it has worked out much cheaper to run than any of my previous small cars...........if you can find one, get it.......steve bristol

Hi Steve,

That is just the sort of thing that I am thinking about and as that is about 15mpg better than my old van.

Richard

Can occurs the previous, on the Trigarno, but mine was a chiped 3lt auto which had similar fuel consumption, the bigger engine makes for much more relaxed driving, especially on hilly country roads.
If you want to reduce emissions the Euro 5 engine is cleaner and much torquer and powerful, which allows driving in cities with emission restrictions. I would always do for the larger engine as it is more efficient.

Just wondering when electric vans will come along,just had a drive in my friends new e golf ,**** fast smooth qt & will go 100 mls on a charge.
We worked out my fuel/petrol car for 8 years which would cover cost of vw at 25 grand.
Only down side he may knock a few head phone brigade down or bike riders.

Can occurs the previous, on the Trigarno, but mine was a chiped 3lt auto which had similar fuel consumption, the bigger engine makes for much more relaxed driving, especially on hilly country roads.
If you want to reduce emissions the Euro 5 engine is cleaner and much torquer and powerful, which allows driving in cities with emission restrictions. I would always do for the larger engine as it is more efficient.

I totally agree. The 2ltr petrol in my old peugeot van had had it at 85000 miles. A 3ltr diesel would have just about been worn in by then. What worries me is that the new super wonderful new diesels are getting complicated, expensive to service, more to go wrong and not cheap when they do go wrong. If I get an older engine, more in my price bracket, then I,m going to be hammered for tax and limited where I can go. Is the Euro 5 going to last 200 000 miles with just an annual service like an old diesel do you think?

Richard

Just wondering when electric vans will come along,just had a drive in my friends new e golf ,**** fast smooth qt & will go 100 mls on a charge.
We worked out my fuel/petrol car for 8 years which would cover cost of vw at 25 grand.
Only down side he may knock a few head phone brigade down or bike riders.

Trev, you say knocking down the headphone brigade like it's a bad thing. I just got a smashed helmet and a foot wide bruise on my hip from trying to dodge one walking out in front of me. If the dog walkers start wearing them, I'm getting a shotgun. :)

Hybrids are getting more common. Not seen them on motorhomes yet? A good sized petrol with a gas conversion may be good. I can see advantages of an LPG tank with a dual take off but not many around .
Richard

Don't want to hi jack the thread, but would like to ask all bike riders to use their bells. Makes life safer for everyone.

Don't want to hi jack the thread, but would like to ask all bike riders to use their bells. Makes life safer for everyone.

I did try ringing my bell and shouting at him all to no avail. When he stepped further in front of my path I had no option but to swerve. When I realised that this had taken me direct into the path of an oncoming cyclist I had to swerve again. Due to a dip and mud on the path I lost it and landed on my head. The cyclist stopped to help me. Mr Earphones just carried on.

When you ring your bell the average pedestrian does one of two things. They either ignore you or move suddenly. It is amazing how often they move into your way. Most pedestrians will be happy to walk on the cycle side of a segregated path but even if you pass them very slowly ringing your bell, you are still a "bloody cyclist"! The ignorance of some people never ceases to amaze me. I will admit that it does depend generally speaking on which area of the city I am in. Unfortunately the two estates I pass through on my way to work are the worst. :(

Richard

I did try ringing my bell and shouting at him all to no avail. When he stepped further in front of my path I had no option but to swerve. When I realised that this had taken me direct into the path of an oncoming cyclist I had to swerve again. Due to a dip and mud on the path I lost it and landed on my head. The cyclist stopped to help me. Mr Earphones just carried on.

When you ring your bell the average pedestrian does one of two things. They either ignore you or move suddenly. It is amazing how often they move into your way. Most pedestrians will be happy to walk on the cycle side of a segregated path but even if you pass them very slowly ringing your bell, you are still a "bloody cyclist"! The ignorance of some people never ceases to amaze me. I will admit that it does depend generally speaking on which area of the city I am in. Unfortunately the two estates I pass through on my way to work are the worst. :(

Richard

Poor you, looks like you were between a rock and a hard place. I only mentioned the bell cos the last meet we went to,Bugsworth, was canalside. Several times, younger cyclists went whizzing past and scared the hell out of me. An older group, admittedly travelling slower, let us know they were there, I felt more in control, and kept out of their way. We all enjoyed the scenery Hope your bruises soon heal.

I am vanless at present and looking out of the window at a sunny day and no commitments for a week so apart from feeling sorry for myself I am trying to make my mind up which van I want next. I have a few ideas but the one thing I am clueless about is the engine. What with particulate filters/regulations and other emission problems, the LEZ, diesel engines getting more complicated by the day and the governments seemingly wanting to get them off the road. Vans with good, suitable petrol engines seem to be as rare as rocking horse poo. I am told that diesels do not like to have LPG conversions. Short of putting a sail on top I am a bit lost.

Your thoughts please ladies and gents.

Richard

Our 2005 2.3 JTD is devoid of any fancy emissions stuff. Much to my surprise, it has no catalytst, DPF, EGR and (as far as I can tell) has a fixed vane turbocharger. Despite that is OK for current LEZ. It gets 28-30 mpg on our Hymer C544 with overcab bed and is a lovely engine.

Keith

Sounds promising. Which engine is it and do they do a slightly bigger one say 2.8 ltr.

Richard

Poor you, looks like you were between a rock and a hard place. I only mentioned the bell cos the last meet we went to,Bugsworth, was canalside. Several times, younger cyclists went whizzing past and scared the hell out of me. An older group, admittedly travelling slower, let us know they were there, I felt more in control, and kept out of their way. We all enjoyed the scenery Hope your bruises soon heal.

Perhaps you should print off a few copies of http://www.spokes.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/London-canal-Two-Tings-leaflet.pdf for them. :)

Richard

Trev, you say knocking down the headphone brigade like it's a bad thing. I just got a smashed helmet and a foot wide bruise on my hip from trying to dodge one walking out in front of me. If the dog walkers start wearing them, I'm getting a shotgun. :)

Hybrids are getting more common. Not seen them on motorhomes yet? A good sized petrol with a gas conversion may be good. I can see advantages of an LPG tank with a dual take off but not many around .
Richard

The e golf is not a hybrid it full electric,there is no point in hybred as you still have serving to engine which my mate wants away from.
He also bought solar panels for house roof which charge his car up for free.

The e golf is not a hybrid it full electric,there is no point in hybred as you still have serving to engine which my mate wants away from.
He also bought solar panels for house roof which charge his car up for free.

I realise that the Golf if all electric but not much use to get me too and around France but Audi are doing engines which will run a short distance on electric but then change to a combustion engine. A friend has one but as it costs a lot more than I will ever pay for a car I did not take too much notice. I can find out the details if you wish but as far as I know they do not put it in vans.:(

Richard

I realise that the Golf if all electric but not much use to get me too and around France but Audi are doing engines which will run a short distance on electric but then change to a combustion engine. A friend has one but as it costs a lot more than I will ever pay for a car I did not take too much notice. I can find out the details if you wish but as far as I know they do not put it in vans.:(

Richard

All have been tested by my friend ,vw was the best all rounder over the others.
If tesla built a uk car with the long range 250 mls it would be a seller when they get the price down.
A van should be able to carry batts to cover about 350 mls i would think,it will happen but not just now.

Sounds promising. Which engine is it and do they do a slightly bigger one say 2.8 ltr.

Richard
My 2002 Hymer with a 2.8JTD doesn't have a catalytic converter, DPF, EGR and has a fixed vane turbocharger, I get over 32/33 mpg comfortably, pulls like a train and quiet

My 2002 Hymer with a 2.8JTD doesn't have a catalytic converter, DPF, EGR and has a fixed vane turbocharger, I get over 32/33 mpg comfortably, pulls like a train and quiet

Yes, the Fiat 2.8 JTD is the big brother of the 2.3 JTD. They are both originally Iveco designed and are great engines when going but do sound a little clattery at tickover. I thought our 2.3 would be a little bit under powered but I was surprised how much power/torque it has and we have never really wanted for more.

Keith

Yes, the Fiat 2.8 JTD is the big brother of the 2.3 JTD. They are both originally Iveco designed and are great engines when going but do sound a little clattery at tickover. I thought our 2.3 would be a little bit under powered but I was surprised how much power/torque it has and we have never really wanted for more.

Keith

When I am sat on a beach in Normandy with a glass of local Cider, watching the sun go down, I promise not to fixate on the clattery tickover. :)

So we like the Fiat in an Iveco. In the interests of longevity, do you thing it may be worth investing in the 2.8 from a wear and tear point of view. I may be maxing out the weight limit a lot of the time but there must be a fair price difference. Would the 2.8 use less fuel under these conditions.

Richard

When I am sat on a beach in Normandy with a glass of local Cider, watching the sun go down, I promise not to fixate on the clattery tickover. :)

So we like the Fiat in an Iveco. In the interests of longevity, do you thing it may be worth investing in the 2.8 from a wear and tear point of view. I may be maxing out the weight limit a lot of the time but there must be a fair price difference. Would the 2.8 use less fuel under these conditions.

Richard

I strongly suspect fuel economy would be similar between the two and more dependent on driving style. They are both common rail diesels though the 2.3 is a newer design with 16V (cf 8V in the 2.8). My wife drives our 2.3 most of the time and has a heavy right foot so our 28-30 mpg could probably be easily beaten. If looked after, a modern diesel will easily do 200,000 miles if looked after so I really would not worry about engine life! When we were looking for a van I was not really bothered if it had a 2.3 or 2.8 (the 2.0 was certainly a non no as known to be under powered).

Keith

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back