Where to stop off the ferry to Santander

theteapackets

Hello, we will (hopefully) be disembarking in Santander at 17:30 in a week's time :oops: .... does anyone have any advice as to where to park up? We've not done this crossing before so have no idea where we can park up. We have Camper Contact and the POIs from Wildcamping ... but feel a bit nervous (well, I do - my hubby has no such concerns!) about just heading off into the unknown!! Thank you in advance.

Two options spring to mind, both are in the POIs.

There's an excellent free aire in Santander near the port which given your late afternoon arrival makes a lot of sense.

Slightly to the south you will find AF Cabárceno which is popular with many, and I have stayed there.

A search on this site will uncover various threads. Its principal claim to fame is that it's outside a wild life park and without paying to enter you can watch the elephants!

No need to be nervous. It's no different to driving in France should you have done that in the past.

Have a great trip ...

Don't forget in Spain in rural locations you can use car parks. Sleeping only, don't put anything out. I would not do this near a city.

We like the santander aire although we tend to stop there onthe way back.
We felt the same nerves two years ago on our first trip to spain but its so easy
We tend to drive as far south as possible usually salamanca but we arrive earlier in afternoon so probably not suitable for your first trip

Can you still overnight on the quayside at the ferry terminal.. ?
It will be cold and dark and the ferry might be delayed.
It's all part of the Adventure.
Have a look at Aguilla de Campoo... Just off the Valladolid Road.. about 40 miles ,( ?) to the South.... There's a free aire and its worth a shufti at the old town.
Have fun.

When I arrived late in Santander due to the weather I stayed in the truck area just before you exit the port. It was fine.

Only possible problem with the elephant park is the associated "Trunkroad" and the brassband consisting of 1 instrument.
I hear Noddy often visits...."looking for ???"

I believe elephants are the only creatures with four knees...As Michael Caine would say "notalot of people know that".

PS elephants are wonderful similar to people with their emotions..
I have had the pleasure of close contact with them in Africa (Zimbabwe, Tanzania and RSA), Sri Lanka, India and Thailand.

Be aware that if you use AF Cabárceno ( Elephant Park ) at weekend i.e. friday and saturday nights it attracts the local VW camper brigade.

We made that mistake the first time and suffered the whooooosh bang of the sliding doors, boooooooooming music and kids running up and down all bloody night.

The next visit was mid-week and was very, very quiet (y)

Pity you didn,t do it earlier then before they got there they most likely been an gone by now

Yes, however the extra information I posted, could save them getting clamped as the aire is often over subscribed and owner park outside
We have witnessed the Guarda Civil clamping on two occasions and they do note reg numbers for the 48 hr rule. And we have spoken to others who have witnesses similar at that location

Beware! Motor homes are banned from the town of Santander, even during the day!,
It’s possible to get clamped stopping for a few minutes to do a bit of shopping.
Earlier this year we docked late due to bad weather so I drove to a resort outside the urban area where it was OK.

We came off the ferry and were going to stay in Santander for just one night. In the end we stayed for three, but only two on the official aire
We had good weather and went around the sights
Our ferry gets there mid afternoon so we can amble southwards for a couple of hours before dropping anchor for the night

I did reply when I did see the thread! Only three days after they asked, and not a week as you posted! however my full thread showing the whole trip has been out there for a few months and has had many many views. I would expect anybody going to the area for the first time should find the thread useful .
At least I tried!

thanks for your help, sorry, thought I “liked” your original post, it was helpful. Sitting in the queue at the port coming home and killing time by checking WC page....

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back